Whether it’s for game day or just a random Thursday, this Paleo Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup brings the classic flavors of Buffalo Chicken wings, in a cozy, comforting soup. Ready in no time in the Instant Pot, it can also be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. It’s also Whole30 and Keto compliant.
You guys know that my Buffalo roots run deep! I don’t mess around when it comes to Buffalo-inspired food, especially not Buffalo Chicken Food. See also: Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Sliders, Buffalo Style Loaded Sweet Potato Fries, Grilled Buffalo Wings, Buffalo Chicken Fingers! I told you, this love affair runs deep and I have no plans of ending things! Clearly, even after 5 years in Southern California – you can take the girl out of Buffalo, but you can’t take the Buffalo out of the girl.
I also don’t mess around when it comes to finding ways to make tasty paleo recipes. Recipes that will please me, but I can still serve up to hubby, friends and family, that don’t necessarily eat exactly as I do. This particular paleo recipe brings a bunch of my favorites together into one. Paleo Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup FTW.
As usual, this is another paleo recipe that can be tweaked and served up how you like. I make with my homemade dairy-free ranch dressing, but if you have no issues with dairy, you can add regular ranch or a blue cheese dressing (best to look for some that doesn’t include vegetable oils). You can also add blue cheese crumbles, if you’d like. When I can find it, I will buy sheep’s milk roquefort cheese, since I tolerate that very well.
I love that this soup is not a typical pureed style Buffalo chicken soup. It’s left chunky so each spoonful gets the creamy broth, chunks of shredded chicken and the veggies.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot
This soup can be made just as easily on the stovetop or in your slow cooker. Whatever you’d like. I enjoy the pressure cooker for this recipe, because it’s hands-off cooking, I don’t have to be worried it will boil over, it’s great when we have guests over, because I can set it to WARM and the Instant Pot will keep it warm. Plus, with the Instant Pot, it’s ready in no time. On the stovetop and for the slow cooker, you’ll sauté the veggies first, then give the soup enough time to cook the chicken. Still super quick and simple.
- 1 tablespoon Terra Delyssa olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, diced carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 -2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- ⅔ cup Franks Original Hot Sauce (more or less to taste)
- ½ cup homemade dairy-free ranch dressing (you can also just use store bought ranch or blue cheese dressing)
- blue cheese crumbles
- ranch or blue cheese dressing
- green onions
- additional fresh chopped carrots or celery, celery leaves are nice, too
- Chop carrots, celery, onion and garlic.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté. Heat Terra Delyssa Olive Oil, butter or ghee
- Sauté the veggies until lightly softened. Just a few minutes.
- Add chicken breasts, chicken broth and hot sauce. Give it a stir. Set the vent to the sealed position. Using the Manual setting, select a 10 minute cook time on high pressure.
- Once the cook time is complete, do a quick release on the pressure.
- After pressure has released, carefully remove lid.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add back to the Instant Pot.
- Add dairy-free ranch dressing (or blue cheese)
- Serve topped with a drizzle of dairy-free ranch, crumbled blue cheese, green onions, more hot sauce, etc. – however you'd like.
Stove top and Slow Cooker Instructions
Heat oil in a large pot or pan, saute the onion, garlic, celery and carrots. About 5 minutes, until lightly softened.
If making on the stove, add to the pot the chicken broth, chicken and Frank’s hot sauce. Give it a stir. Cover and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
If making in the slow cooker, add the sautéed veggies to the slow cooker, pour in the chicken broth, chicken breasts and Franks hot sauce. Give it a stir. Cover and turn on. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5 hours
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan or slow cooker, shred it, add back to the soup. Turn off the heat. Stir in the ranch or blue cheese dressing. Serve topped with a drizzle of dairy-free ranch, crumbled blue cheese, green onions, more hot sauce, etc.
Is this Beth Manos?
Yum!! Making this tonight!!
This is by far my family and my favorite soup! We top it with cilantro, green onions, Bean Sprouts, Avocado chinks, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice!! Makes my mouth water thinking about it!!
Surprisingly delicious. Oodles of flavor. Husband went through three bowls! This recipe is a keeper.
I made this last year and made this again for the SuperBowl. It is so delicious! My favorite simple soup of all time and I’m sharing it on my facebook tonight. Got any suggestions for similar recipes on your site? I figure if I like this sooo much I’d try out another recipe that has a few characteristics of and/or simple, Instant Pot, paleo, soup?