I know you guys are aware just how much I adore cooking foods inspired by the season and what is most fresh. I don’t have to sell you on that. This salad came from a recent trip to the farmers market where I decided to grab the most delicious, in-season produce I could and just create from there. I had no clue what I was making when I bought everything, I just got it home and started brainstorming.
This salad is full of flavor, beautiful Spring colors and I love the combination of the tender baby red potatoes with the crunch for the sugar snap peas and the radishes. Plus the light dressing, is such a nice alternative to the usual creamy mayo-based dressings on most potato salads. The mint is the perfect compliment to the salad, finishing it with a bright, fresh flavor.
This salad is naturally gluten-free and vegan, so it would be perfect as a side dish at a BBQ or picnic when you have folks with restricted diets. It is sure to please all. This post was originally shared on Free People blog BLDG 25.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, washed and cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ lb sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 small bunch radishes, 4 to 6, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 /2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, sliced thin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk the 4 dressing ingredients together in a small bowl to combine. Set aside.
- Set up an ice bath in a large bowl, by filling it with cold water and ice cubes. Meanwhile bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a rolling boil, add the sugar snap peas and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes, immediately remove the snap peas to the ice bath with a slotted spoon. Leave the pot of water on the stove and over a medium-high heat. Add the potatoes to the same pot and bring the water back to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.
- Drain the potatoes and if you want to cool them quicker, run some cold water over them.
- Once the snap peas and potatoes are cooled and drained (you can pat them dry to make sure they are nice and dry), add them to a large serving bowl with radishes, onion and fresh mint. Mix the dressing and pour over the salad. Toss gently to combine. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or cold, and enjoy!