This light Greek Potato Salad is full of a bright, fresh tang from the freshly squeezed lemon juice, an incredible fresh crunch from the red onions and cucumber this all comes together with the fresh fill and oregano to create perfect Greek flavors. Step away from the mayo and opt for my family’s favorite summer side dish.
Summertime is the time of quick meals, picnics, BBQs and cookouts. As much as I am a big fan of mayonnaise, I have never been able to get down with the idea of it on my cold salads. I have never enjoyed it on potato salad, coleslaw or pasta salad. Not sure why. Maybe it’s too many picnics in my youth, seeing the salad and the mayo baking away in the sun, no one has a care in the world. I won’t ruin it for those of you that like it, but it’s just not for me.
This particular rendition on a classic potato salad is something I grew up with and always loved. Simple fresh ingredients and classic Greek flavors come together to create the most perfect summer side dish.
I personally enjoy tender red potatoes with the skin left on, but feel free to swap in your favorite salad-making potato variety. Any will do. I find this salad best served alongside grilled marinated leg of lamb (recipe coming later this week), a side of kalamata olives and cubes of feta cheese. It would also be a great compliment to my Lamb Gyro Bowls with Tzatziki, Greek Lamb Meatballs or Stuffed Grape Leaves.
- 2 pounds unpeeled organic red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, diced
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup freshly squeeze lemon juice
- ¼ cup Terra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Season generously with salt and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh herbs. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, add the potatoes, cucumber and red onion to a large serving bowl. Toss with the dressing. Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate and served chilled. Top with fresh herbs when serving.