These Grain-free Spicy Cauliflower Fritters are an amazing way to embrace the cauliflower love, taking the cauli-rice trend to a whole new level. These versatile patties can be adapted to whatever flavor and spice blend you’d like and served with your favorite sauce, we like Chipotle Lime Aioli.
Veg based fritters have always been a favorite of mine, either as a quick bite appetizer or snack, or atop a large bed of greens as a main dish, I find them to be quick, simple, cheap and versatile. Since I have removed both grains and beans from my diet, due to my autoimmune conditions and my digestive issues, I haven’t really messed with too many veggie-based fritters, cakes and patties in recent years. But, after a recent exploration with cauliflower, which is one of my favorite, versatile, low carb, starch-like veggies – these fritters were born and they have quickly become a new fav.
These Grain-free Spicy Cauliflower Fritters get browned and lightly crisp on the outside, with a soft, fluffy interior. I like to serve with my favorite homemade chipotle lime aioli but they are also great with my green tahini, dairy-free ranch, or even just some tart yogurt (coconut or dairy) or sour cream with chopped chives.
This particular rendition is smoky and spicy with chipotle powder in the mix, but you can totally mix up the vibes using different spices and herbs however you’d like, these are super versatile. They are great as an appetizer, can make a solid side dish or main, they’d even be a rad addition to brunch, in place of hash browns.
Best part, these are a great way to use up leftover cauliflower rice, if you make it in large batches.
- 1 medium-ish head of organic cauliflower, leaves removed (you are looking for 4 cups fresh cauliflower rice)
- 3 large pasture-raised eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup blanched almond flour*
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (look for non-aluminum and corn-free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (for less heat, use chili powder or smoked paprika, or leave out)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (plus additional flaked sea salt for serving)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or other cooking oil
- Bacon, chives, scallions, chopped fresh onion or garlic, various other seasoning blends like Cajun, Italian, oregano with feta cheese, etc.
- ½ cup of homemade mayo or store-bought avocado oil mayo
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime zest
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Remove the green leaves from the head of cauliflower. Cut the head of cauliflower into small florets, removing and discarding the core. Wash the florets well and let them drain until completely dry. You can also pat dry with paper towels. You don’t want them wet at all.
- Add the florets to your food processor, I go with about ½ or ⅓ of the head at a time. Pulse a handful times of times or process quickly just until it is chopped and has a rice-like texture. Don’t go too far or it will be mush. Any large pieces can be removed and added to the next batch. Alternatively you can use a hand grater but it takes a TON of time and it’s a hell of a workout.
- Add 4 cups of the fresh cauliflower rice to a large mixing bowl. Add the beaten eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and let sit for about 10 minutes. Most of any liquid will be absorbed, if there is a lot of liquid, pour off or add just a little bit more coconut flour.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet (a well seasoned cast iron works great here) over a medium-high heat. When hot, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Using between 2 and 4 tablespoon of the batter, form into patties with your hands and carefully place into the hot skillet. Work in batches and do not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook until the bottoms are browned, about 3 or 4 minutes, then carefully flip and cook another three minutes. Move to a paper towel lined plate or sheet pan.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo, chipotle, lime juice and zest and garlic powder.
- Serve right away.