My Chocolate Smarter Smoothie is my most favorite, most often made smoothie. Loaded with flavor and a thick, rich and creamy texture, this blood sugar balancing meal replacement shake gives you enough protein, fat and fiber to keep you full for hours on end and it’s loaded with so much goodness.
In case you missed it over on Instagram, I am calling this week Smoothtember Week and it’s a full week all about the Smarter Smoothies. In addition to sharing the brand new video for my Smarter Smoothies formula, this week I will be sharing three of my personal, MOST favorite Smarter Smoothie recipes. These are my classic go-to smarter smoothies then I come back to, time and time again!
Today, I am sharing my most favorite of all smoothies EVER my Chocolate Smarter Smoothie. As a chocolate lover, through and through, this is one of my absolute favorites. It’s rich, creamy, it has so much flavor and despite tasting like a dream, I don’t have to be worried about consuming a candy-bar worth of sugar at my first meal. This is great when I am looking for a quick and easy post-workout meal or often I will use as my afternoon meal, if I am not looking for a larger meal.
This Chocolate Smarter Smoothie skips out on the fruit and the sweet stuff, so you’ve got all the flavor of a chocolate shake, without a ton of sugar. This recipe uses cauliflower rice to create a delicious creamy texture, but you can also use frozen zucchini If you want additional greens add some baby spinach. If you are looking to add some carbs, try a little frozen butternut squash or a fruit that you love, strawberries or raspberries pair really nice with the chocolate.
Finally, chocolate is an amazing superfood loaded with antioxidants, polyphenol and many minerals, it has been shown to be anti-inflammatory and to support lowering insulin resistance. Read more about the benefits of chocolate here.
As always, this smoothie is creating my Smarter Smoothies formula. If every meal-replacement smoothie that you create has adequate protein, fat and fiber, if you make sure you are getting loads of nutrients from leafy greens, veggies and/or herbs and you add those crunchies on top, so your digestion is working at it’s full potential – you will always be getting everything you need! The fruit and those bonuses/boosts we talk about in the Smarter Smoothies post, those are extras – have fun with those, but don’t make the sugary fruits the shining star!
Here’s a quick cheat sheet for my Chocolate Smarter Smoothie with a few alternative ideas:
Protein: I am using the chocolate protein powder from Equip Foods* – (use that link and coupon code “TASTYYUMMIES“ to save 15%). This is a grass-fed beef isolate protein powder, no eggs, no whey. For other protein powder options, including plant based choices, visit the Smarter Smoothies post.
Fat: almond butter or my Vanilla Bean Macadamia Cashew Butter are my two faves. You can also use coconut butter or coconut oil, MCT oil, any other nut butter like walnut or pecan – any other fat of your choice. 1/2 avocado is also nice.
Fiber: Chia seeds. Ground flaxseeds, acacia or prebiotic fiber blends are also great.
Greens/Veggies: Cauliflower Rice. I have made this smoothie with frozen zucchini, frozen butternut squash and have also added baby spinach, plenty of times.
Crunchies: Unsweetened coconut flakes and cacao nibs. You can also try a small handful of Grain-free granola or any seeds or nuts.
BONUS BOOSTS: This smoothie has additional raw cacao. You can also add cinnamon, maybe some maca, adaptogenic mushrooms, collagen peptides, etc. Check out the full Smarter Smoothies post for lots of ideas.
* This protein powder is lightly sweetened with a little stevia. Many protein powders are lightly sweetened with natural sugar alternatives. If your protein powder isn’t sweetened, you may want to consider a drop or two of stevia, monkfruit or other sweetener of your choice, to balance the flavors in this smoothie.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1-2 heaping scoops chocolate protein (two scoops for two servings)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (ground flaxseed or other fiber powder)
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter, macadamia cashew butter, coconut butter, or other fat)
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice (or swap in zucchini)
- pinch of sea salt
- sprinkle shredded coconut and/or cacao nibs on top
- starting with the liquid first, add all of the ingredients to your high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve topped with your coconut flakes, cacao nibs or other crunchies on top!