Coastal California living is among of the greatest pleasures of my life. Waking up every day, just a 1/2 mile from the ocean, daily walks in the salty air and sunshine. Let us never forget the abundance of fresh, locally sourced ingredients to inspire all of my culinary dreams – feeling blessed to live here doesn’t even come close to covering it. California coastal cuisine features fresh ingredients, simple preparations, and an emphasis on sustainably and locally sourced ingredients. California coastal cuisine is also often characterized by global inspirations, including spices and techniques influenced by cultures including Asian, European, and South American countries.
This California-Style Marinated Avocado Salad brings so many of the best parts of California coastal living, the year-round beautiful weather that allows for so much locally sources fresh produce. The flavors and the concepts of this dish are loosely inspired by a classic poke bowl, which you can find everywhere in Southern California. Marinated fish, usually salmon or tuna, with beautiful fresh, colorful veggies – this Hawaiian inspired dish has become a coastal California staple and I loved taking the concept and reimagining it with the California Avocado as the focus. To ensure you’re enjoying locally grown avocados, be sure to check for California on the label from spring through summer!
Marinating the avocado brings a whole new vibe to one of my favorite foods. The California Avocado really soaks up so much of the flavor of the marinade and it retains its rich, creamy texture. It’s satisfying, substantial and almost “meaty”. Serve this salad that is full of healthy fats alongside your favorite protein as part of a fresh, balanced meal, but be forewarned that this California-Style Marinated Avocado Salad will easily become the star of the show. Enjoy this salad as it is, top with colorful veggies or serve over rice or cauliflower rice to make a California-style bowl. Add the slices to a sandwich or on top of your favorite protein.
California-Style Marinated Avocado Salad
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos, gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- ⅓ cup olive oil*
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, sliced into thin wedges
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
Optional raw veggies for serving and garnish:
- Cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- Purple cabbage
- Black sesame seeds
- drizzle of toasted sesame oil
- In a small bowl whisk together the coconut aminos, the coconut oil, lime juice, pepper and garlic.
- In a shallow dish add avocado slices/wedges, add in the onion, if including.
- Poor the marinade over top.
- Let marinade at least 30 minutes before serving. If making ahead, cover & refrigerate for 12 hours before serving.
Try swapping in a tablespoon or two of toasted sesame oil for the olive oil
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice to make it a bowl-style meal