This particular DIY edible gift is a wonderful option for those in your life that are possibly new to gluten-free, paleo or grain-free eating. It’s a really nice way to share something sweet with them, that they can trust and truly enjoy. Plus, these cookies are a crowd-pleaser – dietary challenges, allergies, intolerances or not. Chocolate Chip cookies that are the real deal, slightly crisp on the outside, chewy and big, like you get at a bakery. They are naturally grain-free, egg-free and they can be easily made vegan/dairy-free.
I find these types of gifts are also great gifts for hosts or hostesses welcoming you into their home for the holidays, people in your life that work with you or for you, teachers, etc. If you ask me, a gift of something sweet and handmade is a gift of love!
I even include a free printable label and instruction sheet for you guys to include with the gift, so all you need to do is get a great jar, measure a few ingredients and package it all up.
- 2¼ cups blanched almond flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½-3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (amount depends on the size of the jar you are trying to fill)
- Start by tightly packing the almond flour into the bottom of the jar. Really press it in.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tapioca (or arrowroot) starch, baking side and sea salt.
- Add the starch mixture on top of the almond flour. Press it in.
- Top with the chocolate chips.
- Close the jar and print the label and the instructions. That's it!
- If you'd like, you can tie a cute little package of an artisan sea salt, if you know the recipient loves a cookie. You could also include with your a gift a nice honey or maple syrup and an artisanal vanilla extract (or better yet homemade).
BONUS – PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS AND LABELS:
Instructions For Your Recipient:
DOWNLOAD HERE and print out or hand write your own…
Below are the instructions to include for the recipient on how to make their Grain-free Chocolate Chip Cookies. You can handwrite these yourself or print out the already laid out PDF on some nice paper (as seen in the photos), cut it out and include it with your kit.
Perfect Grain-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• Jar of cookie mix
• 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
• 6 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter, room temperature, not melted (or coconut oil to make dairy-free/vegan)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• coarse flake sea salt for serving, optional
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of standup mixer (or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), cream the butter (or coconut oil), honey and vanilla together on high. Slowly add the cookie mixture and mix on low until well combined.
Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Roll each into perfect dough balls and place the balls on the parchment lined baking sheets with at least 3 inches between each cookie. Gently press down the dough ball into a disk, about 3-inches in diameter (it will spread about 1-inch more as it bakes).
Bake one tray at a time, for 13-15 minutes, till golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack and cool another 10 minutes. Sprinkle some flaked sea salt on top, if that’s your thing!
Download a customizable version of these labels to print at home to give your Grain-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix in a Jar an extra-special personal touch! Go to URL to grab your printable PDF. Simply write your name in under “by:”, fill in the size of your bottle and the date it should be enjoyed by. That’s it. DOWNLOAD HERE.
Print these 2.5-inch diameter labels on any Avery brand 22808 template. I used these brown kraft paper labels.