After sharing just some of the many gluten-free breakfast options in my post last week, I thought it would be appropriate to create a simple breakfast recipe for this week. I know beyond those that are gluten-free, many people now follow a completely grain-free diet, as well. These cookies and many other gluten-free baked goods can be easily made with almond flour and you would never know they are grain-free. If you haven’t yet experimented with almond flour, you must. These blueberry breakfast cookies are moist and full of flavor and I love the tasty bright bursts when you bite into the blueberries, plus the flavor from the almonds — they compliment each other so well. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love cookies for breakfast?
This recipe was originally shared on the Free People Blog BLDG 25
Grain-Free Blueberry Almond Breakfast Cookies - Gluten-free + Vegan
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil, ghee or butter would be great if you aren’t vegan
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, honey will make these not vegan
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, salt , cinnamon and baking soda in a food processor. Process until fully combined. Pulse in shortening, honey and vanilla until dough forms.
- Remove blade from processor and gently fold in the almonds and blueberries by hand, being careful not to smash the berries.
- Scoop dough one level tablespoon at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press the dough down gently. Bake at 350ºF for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool for 15 minutes on the cookie sheet (don’t try to take them off before this, they will fall apart). Store in the refrigerator.