With the excessive amount of figs we are getting from our tree, I am trying to get very creative with all the different ways I can use them. I think making a fig smoothie might just be the best idea I have some up with yet, to enjoy them. A great way to enjoy a few fresh from the tree now while they are in season and it will be a really nice way to use some of the figs I froze whole, later, after the season is long gone and over. This smoothie is creamy and so perfectly sweet, without needing any sweetener at all. You could add some spices like cinnamon or cardamom if you wish, but I really wanted to fully enjoy the delicious but mild fig flavor.
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy figs?
This recipe originally appeared on the Free People blog BLDG 25.
- 3-4 fresh figs, washed and stems removed the halved (I used black mission)*
- 1 frozen banana
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, optional
- Handful of ice
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately!
- *This recipe works great with frozen fresh figs as well.