For my final recipe as part of my vegetarian Thanksgiving series this month with Free People, it just didn’t seem right to share another side dish for the feast or a sweet dessert, I thought it appropriate to share a recipe that is not only healthy and delicious, but also one that uses up some of the leftovers from the big day.
This smoothie is simple to make, perfectly sweet without any refined sugar and it has the most beautiful autumn-inspired hue. The spices are just perfect and you can feel free to adjust accordingly to your own taste. Plus, this smoothie makes the perfect quick and easy breakfast as you are heading out the door to Christmas shop for the day!
If you don’t have any leftover butternut squash puree, feel free to just sub in some unsweetened pumpkin puree. Canned or fresh will work.
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving surrounded by the people they love and delicious foods! My day was absolutely perfect!!
This recipe was originally shared on the Free People Blog BLDG 25.
[print_this]Butternut Squash Chai Smoothie – Gluten-free + Vegan
makes 1 large serving or two smaller servings
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used 1 cup of almond milk and 1/2 cup of coconut milk)
- 1 cup butternut squash purée (or pumpkin)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted (soaked if they are very dry)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A couple of ice cubes
Add everything to your blender, blend until smooth and creamy. Serve topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and enjoy![/print_this]