I am not sure about all of you, but our grill becomes the center of many meals this time of year. Without any AC at all and many hot summer days of working from home, tossing a light and healthy meal on the grill at the end of a sweaty work day sounds like the perfect idea. But, also a perfect idea? Dinners that can be thrown together start to finish in under 30 minutes.
These Grilled Scallop and Veggie Skewers with Green Tahini are what summer weeknight meal dreams are made of. I love serving these alongside an herby cauli-rice. They’d also be great with regular rice, other grains of your choosing or atop a big green salad.
The herby green tahini sauce is a lovely compliment to this light and flavorful dinner and brings a bit more healthy fat to the party. Once prepped, these kababs go from grill to plate in just about 8 minutes. Great with a chilled white or rosé.
These skewers could easily be made with other veggies, tomatoes, green, orange or yellow bell pepper would work, you could use yellow summer squash in addition to or instead of zucchini, mushrooms would also be nice. You could swap red onion in place of the scallions. Lime juice for the lemons and cilantro instead of dill or parsley.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Terra Delyssa Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 20 large wild-caught sea scallops (about 1 to 1¼ lbs)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares, seeds discarded
- 1-2 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
- 3-4 scallions, cut into 2-inch long pieces
- For Serving:
- green tahini sauce
- lemon wedges
- addition fresh herbs
- cauliflower rice (regular rice or quinoa)
- Heat grill or grill pan to high heat. Be sure the grill is clean and lightly greased.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the scallops, bell pepper, zucchini and scallions. Lightly toss to evenly coat.
- Thread scallops, bell pepper, zucchini and scallions alternately on each of the skewers. Be sure the scallops and zucchini round's flat sides are perpendicular to the skewer. Brush any of the remaining herb mixture on.
- Turn the heat of the grill down to medium-high. Place the skewers on the grill at an angle so you will get diagonal grill marks. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until scallops are barely opaque in the middle and the edges or the scallops and the veggies are lightly charred. Transfer skewers to a platter.
- Serve immediately. Top with green tahini, or serve alongside.
If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak in hot water for at least 30 minutes prior, so they don't flare up.