How-to Make Nut Milk

Tutorial Tuesdays // Tasty Yummies

How-to Make Homemade Nut Milk

How-to Make Nut Milk

I am super excited to share this tutorial with you guys! Many of you have asked for a tutorial on  nut milks, since I started the Tutorial Tuesdays Series. I have been making my own nut milks for quite a few years now. Once I realized just how simple it was, I have made a quart of almond milk nearly every single week.

I also love making variations on the flavors, at least once a month I make a quart of raw cacao almond nut milk. It’s the perfect sweet treat for me.

Much like my nut butter post, this is a general overview on how to make nut milks, but really the sky is the limit. If you have a favorite nut – I say MILK IT! As with the nut butters, I recommend soaking your nuts first, but for nut milks dehydration isn’t necessary, so it’s that much easier. Below you will find a chart on soaking times for various milks.

What Nuts Can You Milk?

First of all, let’s just get all the giggles out now. Sooo many amazing innuendos when it comes to nut milks. Oh, and guess what? It doesn’t get old. Everytime I pull my nut bag out. A good laugh is had! Anyhow – I myself have made nut milks from almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts and pistachios, but from what I understand the same rules apply no matter what nut you choose, so you can create nut milks from any of the other nuts listed below and likely many others, too. FYI macadamia nut milk is amazing, so rich and full of incredible flavor, but literally it may be the most expensive nut milk you can make. I made a batch for this testing and I kinda wish I hadn’t. It was so good.

A Guide to Soaking Nuts for Nut Milk

How & Why to Soak Your Nuts

Why I Choose to Soak: Most nuts, seeds, grains and beans are covered in natural chemicals – enzyme inhibitors and toxins – that protect them while growing, both from sprouting prematurely and also from predators. These nutritional inhibitors and toxic substances are enzyme inhibitors, phytates (phytic acid), polyphenols (tannins), and goitrogens. Once harvested, those same chemicals, the major one being phytic acid – are indigestible to the human body and must be broken down before consumption. When food containing phytic acid is consumed, the acid combines with important minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and blocks their absorption which inhibits our digestive systems’ ability to break the nut down properly.

The very simple process of soaking releases these chemicals, helping you to absorb your food’s essential minerals and nutrients. Additionally, by soaking the nuts with the removal of these nutritional inhibitors and toxic substances, the flavor and taste is much more ideal and appealing.

To summarize: Soaking nuts makes them easier to digest and improves their flavor.

How-to Make Homemade Nut Milks

How-to Make Nut Milk

1) Soak your nuts in filtered water for the appropriate time, drain and rinse.

How-to Make Nut Milk

2) Blend your soaked nuts with filtered water, adding in any flavorings you would like.

How-to Make Nut Milk

3) Pour into your nut milk bag and squeeze. Separating the pulp from the milk.

How-to Make Almond Milk

* I find that 1 cup of nuts is more than enough for 1 quart of milk, some people prefer 2 cups.

NOTES:

These same instructions work for any nut that you prefer to use. Though, generally almonds are my go-to choice.

Store in a covered glass jar, bottle or pitcher in the refrigerator, it’ll be good for about 4-5 days.

Separation is totally natural with homemade nut milks, just be sure to shake it up just before serving.

How-to Make Vanilla Bean Cashew Milk

This rich and creamy flavorful milk is amazing in smoothies and over your favorite cereal.

Turmeric Almond Milk

Reap all of the wonderful anti-inflammatory benefits of both the raw almonds and the turmeric. This drink is great served chilled and even better warmed up and served as a hot, comforting beverage to cure all that ails. Boost turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties by adding a some healthy fat and/or black pepper when consuming.

How-to Make Raw Cacao Hazelnut Milk

This nut milk is LIFE CHANGING! It literally tastes like Nutella, but in drink form :SWOON: I love it as a sweet way to finish my day, instead of a dessert.

How-to Make Pistachio Milk

Pistachio milk has a very strong and distinct, nutty flavor. If you love pistachios, this one is definitely for you. Plus, that subtle green hue is just so beautiful. I am not sure if it’s because of their complimentary hues or if they truly are a great match – but I love adding a little ground cardamom to my pistachio milk. Pistachio milk and it’s strong taste to me, isn’t exactly my favorite nut milk for straight drinking, but it makes a wonderful addition to smoothies and creamy sweet dessert recipes.

Optional Add-ins for Your Nut Milks

For every batch of nut milk I make, I always add a pinch of pink Himalyan sea salt and about 1-2 tablespoons of local raw honey (unless I need unsweetened nut milk for a savory dish some reason). Besides that there are so many variations and fun things you can add to your nut milks.

SWEETENERS: Besides raw local honey which is my favorite, other options for natural sweeteners include: medjool dates, maple syrup, coconut nectar, raw sugar, stevia, xylitol and so on.

FLAVORS: For flavorings there are so many lovely possibilities. Some of my favorites are vanilla bean, vanilla extract,  raw cacao, lavender (which is just incredible), turmeric, spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, etc. There are so many amazing possibilities.

OTHER: You can also add things like hemp seeds for additional some Omega-3 and Omega-6 and protein, coconut water instead of regular water for a fun flavor twist, you can add oats, flaxseeds and so on. Have fun with it.

What To Do With Your Nut Milks

You can use nut milks just as you would regular milk in any recipes, including baked goods. Remember if you are using homemade nut milk in a savory recipe, leave out the sweetener and additional flavorings, such as vanilla. I love enjoying my homemade nut milks cold straight from the fridge in a tall glass, they are the best in homemade smoothies, nut milks are also great served hot in homemade hot cocoa, a mocha, coffee or tea lattes and so one. Add it to a shaker with your favorite spirits and you can make amazing cocktails. The list goes on and on. How do you enjoy your nut milks?

What to do with Nut Milk Pulp

What To Do With the Leftover Pulp

There are so many different uses for the leftover pulp you can add it to smoothies or your morning oatmeal, you can add it to dips, homemade granolas, to the batter of your cookies or muffin, crackers, or you can even dehydrate it and then blend it up to make almond meal. When all else fails freeze it for later or compost it if you really don’t have room for it.

Here are some great recipes for things you can do with the leftover pulp:

Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars - Made from Almond Milk Pulp

Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars Tasty Yummies

Chipotle Almond Dip  Tasty Yummies

Almond Pulp Body Scrub The Blender Girl

Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookies Tasty Yummies

Almond Pulp Crackers Elana’s Pantry

Almond Pulp Brownies The Bojon Gourmet

Almond Cookie Balls Laura’s Sweet Spot

Nut-free Non-Dairy Milk Recipes

Can’t have nuts? Here are a few nut-free non-dairy milk recipes for you:

How-to Make Coconut Milk from Shredded Coconut So Let’s Hang Out for The Kitchn

Brown Rice Milk Happy Yolks

Vanilla Hempseed Milk Healthful Pursuit

Oat Milk Happy Food Healthy Life

Coconut Milk from Fresh Whole Coconuts Nourished Kitchen

Sunflower Seed Milk Healthful Pursuit

Coconut Oat Milk Running to the Kitchen

Rice Milk Horchata Tasty Yummies

Pumpkin Spiced Pepita Milk Beard and Bonnet

Flax Milk Healthful Pursuit

Nut Milk Bags

I was using this nut bag for quite a while, but I didn’t love that it wasn’t made from organic materials.

I recently bought this organic cotton nut milk bag from Cultures for Health and I absolutely love it. I feel so much better using it knowing that it is fully organic and the quality is incredible.

The great thing about most nut milk bags is that you can also use them for sprouting nuts, seeds and grains.

** I personally do not recommend using the cheesecloth, strainer or pantyhose methods, they are messy and require multiple passes to strain all the bits out. It is never quite as creamy as when I use a good nut milk bag.

For those curious, this is the blender that I use. It works great! Someday I will splurge and get a Blentec or Vitamix, until then – this works just perfectly!

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!

1 Brandy @ A Mindful Mantra April 8, 2014 at 5:14 am

I have been wanting to try making nut milks for awhile. Until now I’ve only made coconut milk, mainly because I don’t really like the taste of almond milk. Though the chocolate hazelnut and vanilla cashew sound amazing!

2 Zoe @ One Beet April 8, 2014 at 8:14 am

Great tutorial Beth! I especially appreciate you including the specific nut milk bag you like using. I’m going to get one now and get into the nut milk game!

3 Beatriz April 8, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thanks for this tutorial, I’m definitely going to try the tumeric almond milk ASAP! I have a question, though: at a few different juice bars I’ve seen nutmilks infused with chlorophyll. Do you know how this is (best) done? I’ve actually never used chlorophyll before…is it a liquid or a powder like spirulina? Would I put it in after straining the milk from the pulp? If you don’t know, that’s alright! I’ll have to experiment…

4 Beth April 8, 2014 at 11:03 am

Nut milks have been on my to-try list for sometime! On average, how many cups of pulp are left after straining? About one?

5 tastyyummies April 8, 2014 at 11:08 am

Beth it actually varies with each nut actually cashews produce way less pulp than almonds. I would say from one cup of almonds you get a little less than one cup of pulp.

6 Cinde April 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thank you… this is the best nut milk post I have ever seen! I can’t wait to try the recipes – especially the “Nutella milk” for my daughter. :)

7 Hiba April 8, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Thank you for this wonderful overview – I have only tried making plain almond milk but you have inspired me to explore further!

8 Carolyn April 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hi Beth. I have been wanting to get started on nut milks and I believe this post will finally give me the confidence to try it! I HATE buying most of the nut milks (including coconut milk) offered in stores because they have carrageenan and other ingredients that are unnecessary and unhealthy. My question is where do you source your nuts? I know that almonds grown in the US are supposedly “pasteurized” and other nuts may have been sprayed with chemicals. Do you have a source where you can buy nuts without having to buy in great quantities?

9 Megan April 9, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hey! Do you also use that same blender for your nut butters, or is that too much? I don’t have either a high powered blender OR a food processor yet, so I’m trying to decide which one is more important.
Thanks Beth :)
Megan

10 Carolyn April 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Megan, I got the Vitamix and you can also use it as a food processor on many items.

11 tastyyummies April 10, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Megan, yes I have heard from many that their Vitamix or Blendtec blenders are great for nut butters. My Kitchenaid cannot handle nut butters. I would say get yourself a nice blender and you can likely skip a food processor or at least do without for a while. I actually use both my blender and my food processor almost every day. Hope that helps.

12 Katie Hussong April 9, 2014 at 4:42 pm

This is fantastic! Beautiful, as always – but also so helpful and informative. Thank you! XO

13 Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen April 10, 2014 at 8:34 am

I LOVE TUTORIAL TUESDAYS. But for real, I do. This is an awesome post. I honestly have never made my own almond milk and think it’s about time since I use it daily. Never realized how simple it was! :)

14 Lori April 10, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Is the organic cotton nut milk bag reusable?

15 tastyyummies April 10, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Oh yes very reusable. But that is a great question, thank you. I am going to edit this to include that, thank you!

16 Rande April 11, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Splurge now on the vita mix. You will wonder why you waited so long. I have had mine for more years that I can remember. Don’t know what I would do without it!!

17 3petitsprinces April 13, 2014 at 6:12 am

Love this post! Thank you so much! A few questions:
Instead of a nut milk bag, could something like the matfer bouillon strainer be used? That has long been on my wish list & I think it might work for nut milks.
Second, I have some cacao nibs in my pantry. Could I grind them & use as the cacao powder in that amazing looking nutella milk?
L

18 Siyeen April 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

Beth, just stumbled on your blog and am so excited to discover that we are both from LBC! Can you tell me where you purchase your nuts and raw honey? Any bulk retailers or e-tailers you recommend?

19 tastyyummies April 21, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Hi there Siyeen, so nice to “meet” you! Yay LBC!! Currently I buy raw honey at either the farmers market on Wednesdays at Marine Stadium or most of the time at Lazy Acres, over on Bellflower. For nuts, I buy raw organic almonds at Lazy Acres usually or Whole Foods, as well as any other raw organic nuts I want. I found a farm up north that sells their raw organic unpasteurized almonds in 25 pound boxes and it is just $8.00/pound, which is insanely cheap (shipping is extra). I just can’t justify nor do I have that much extra money currently to buy that amount at once. Some day 😉 If you ever wanna go in together and get 12.5 lbs of almonds each, you let me know :)

20 Siyeen April 21, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Thanks for the info; I shop at those places too. I’m totally down on the going in on the bulk! In fact, I’ve been looking into buying in bulk as well and found two sites: http://www.bragafarms.com/ (located in NorCal) and Nuts.com. Though, I believe yours have better pricing.

21 Bidison April 30, 2014 at 6:34 am

I just made my first batch of homemade almond milk this morning, and it was delicious! I also made peanut butter for the first time earlier this week, thanks to your other tutorial. My husband’s initial skepticism regarding the ease of each process and resulting taste was transformed into pleasant surprise and a wholehearted endorsement to stop buying pre-made almond milk and peanut butter. And I’m delighted to have eliminated wasteful packaging from two products we use regularly. Thank you! I’m so glad to have discovered your blog recently. Now I need to review your recipes that use leftover almond pulp.

22 Gaby May 1, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your recepies, I defenitively going to try them.

23 Ashlee D. May 16, 2014 at 7:37 am

Where did you find those jars, they’re so pretty!!

24 Ellyn June 2, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I knew you were supposed to soak nuts before turning them into milk, but I didn’t know why. Super interesting! I make hemp milk for my one year old son. He is intolerant/allergic (i.e. he gets hives) to soy, dairy, eggs, etc. He doesn’t mind the flavor of the milk, but when I taste it it’s pretty darn grassy despite the fact that I’m blending in a couple of whole dates and some vanilla bean. Do you think soaking hemp hearts would improve the flavor as it does for the nuts?

25 tastyyummies June 3, 2014 at 8:02 am

Hey Ellyn, glad you found this helpful and informative. Hempseeds actually do not contain phytic acid, the mineral-binding antinutrient common to most nuts, seeds, grains, and legumes. So this means hemp seeds require no soaking to get rid of phytate and likely the flavor wouldn’t be improved much, as it is with the nuts!

26 sophie June 3, 2014 at 12:57 pm

why don’t Brazil nuts need to be soaked?

27 Dan June 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi,

Is there any harm in soaking the nuts for more than your prescribed time? Just got my cotton bags and want to start immediately, but 8hrs from now is 10pm and I don’t feel like staying up :)

Thanks!

28 tastyyummies June 5, 2014 at 8:53 am

That’s a good question Dan. Basically they will likely just get too soggy or mushy if soaked too long, but I would bet overnight, probably will be OK.

29 lotus June 7, 2014 at 7:23 pm

This is utterly (udderly… :) ) gorgeous. I am inspired!
Thank you!

30 J. August 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Wondering why you need to strain nut milks? Wouldn’t drinking the milk with the pulp be more nutritious – plus getting benefit of the fiber in the pulp? Thanks

31 Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 25, 2014 at 8:55 am

They need to be strained because otherwise it will be quite thick, lumpy and pulpy, not milk-like at all. Of course drinking the pulp would keep ALL of the nutrients possible, but it isn’t very good. Also just an FYI much of the nutrients and vitamins and such actually end up in the milk itself, and the pulp that is leftover is pretty stripped. But for sure the pulp will have the most fiber.

32 Vanessa October 4, 2014 at 3:49 pm

You list coconut under under nut free milks (which it is, it’s botanically a fruit) but as an allergen it is considered a tree nut; people with tree nut allergies have a risk of having a reaction to coconut and should consult their allergist before adding it to their diets.

33 Carol October 20, 2014 at 10:40 am

Can I use the walnut milk pulp interchangeable with almond milk pulp in recipes?

34 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 21, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hmm I am not sure, I have never worked with walnut pulp before. Sorry. I would love to hear how it works out for you, if you try it.

35 johanna November 2, 2014 at 8:43 am

Just made the cashew milk, super delicious! I’m sorry if you already mentioned it, but isitpossible to freeze the milk?

36 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hey Johanna, so glad you like the milk. I have to be honest, I have never tried nor have I ever thought of freezing the milk. I am not sure if it would work. Seems like it would but I am not totally sure. Maybe do a quick internet search and see if anyone else has? Sorry I cannot be of more help.

37 PLK de Noétique November 5, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hi ! your tutoriel is excellent. I take your photography squeeze with a link to your article, it is beautiful. Of course, If this you disturb, I take it off. The pistachio milk is wonderfull, and milk almond with curcuma, milk hazelnut with cacao. Thank you very much for this wonderful overview. I like it . PLK

38 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 6, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed it. I saw the post and I saw that you linked people to my site and credited me, so that is just fine. As long as people do not take my content to share on their sites, I am totally good with it! Thank you!

39 zadi March 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Zadi
I’m from Panamá hi
I made milk mix nuts ( Almonte, pistacho, hazelnuts) i was so yummi and my doughter three years old loved.

40 SONIA JOSE January 18, 2015 at 1:22 pm

can we mix the ingredients with milk instead of water?

41 Ole April 20, 2015 at 5:28 am

Nice tutorial :)

Note* Peanut is not a Nut!

42 Nadia May 24, 2015 at 8:42 am

I’ve just tried making my own almond milk for the first time and I’m hooked! What I did withy h leftover meal was make a vegan cheese spread using the almonds, lemon juice, S&P, nutritional yeast, and any other spices you might like! It’s super good in wraps and on crackers :) will have to try your other but milk recipes

43 Anna May 25, 2015 at 1:13 am

Beloved, I really liked your site and want to say THANK you for your great work.
I would like to make reference in my book to your link on how to make a nut milk. much love

44 Ida May 31, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Hi,

I´ve read somewhere that you need to add natural sea salt, or Himalayan when you soak to help remove the phytic acid. What are your thoughts on this?

Best regards,

Ida

45 Phan July 13, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Hi , I use to make soya milk, but not nut milk, I wonder if we have to boil the nut milk after squeeze it.
Thank you.
Phan.

46 Kaelii July 30, 2015 at 11:18 am

I have a pretty cheap blender and don’t want to waste my time if it’s not going to work.. Any thoughts? Should I just blend it a little longer than usual?

47 Joe August 25, 2015 at 3:26 am

Just visited to see recipes for nut milk

48 Lisa April 27, 2016 at 11:51 am

I made the vanilla cashew milk yesterday and let me just say…. Yum!! It was so much better than any almond milk I can buy in the store. It didn’t need any sweetener and I loved it was organic, raw and vegan. Thanks for sharing! I used the link you posted to buy a nut bag (my brother and I do unabashedly giggle about it, I do admit) to make some almond and pistachio milk, next on the agenda. So happy I will be able to buy even less processed items now and so easy to do!

49 Ramon Lopez May 8, 2016 at 9:20 am

Love the tutorial. Thanks! I look forward to making pecan milk and using it in a recipe as a substitute in order to make the dish vegan. I wonder, does it make good ice cream? I’ll have to try that too.

50 M June 13, 2016 at 5:03 am

This is one great post! So usefull! Thank you :)