How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters

Tutorial Tuesdays // Tasty Yummies
How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters // Tasty Yummies

How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters

I am so excited about this next post in the Tutorial Tuesday series. It has been quite the undertaking sampling, soaking, dehydrating and playing with different flavors but it is so easy and so totally worth it to make your own homemade nut butters. OK, so I may have gone a little overboard, but hopefully all of your nut butter questions have now been answered.

Besides the simple how-to instructions, I wanted to include some insight as to why I recommend soaking your nuts and seeds, how to also dehydrate them after you have soaked them and all of the various times for doing so. Plus, you will find some various flavor combinations that I love and even a nut-free sunflower seed butter recipe. Hope you guys enjoy.

How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters

What Nuts?

Basically if it’s a nut (and even many seeds) and you like it, you can make a butter out of it. I have sampled so many different types of nut butters and the sky is the limit. I wish I could afford to buy enough of each of the nuts pictured to sample making nut butters with all of them for you guys, but that is certainly out of the budget when buying organic. So for this tutorial, I just went with a couple of my personal favorites. Almond, cashew, pecan, hazelnut (in a homemade nutella) and I even made a nut-free sunflower seed butter for you.

Nuts and Seeds Soaking Chart // Tasty Yummies

To Soak or Not To Soak.

Why I Choose to Soak: Most nuts, seeds, grains and beans are covered in natural chemicals – enzyme inhibitors and toxins – that protect them while growing, both from sprouting prematurely and also from predators. These nutritional inhibitors and toxic substances are enzyme inhibitors, phytates (phytic acid), polyphenols (tannins), and goitrogens. Once harvested, those same chemicals, the major one being phytic acid – are indigestible to the human body and must be broken down before consumption. When food containing phytic acid is consumed, the acid combines with important minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and blocks their absorption which inhibits our digestive systems’ ability to break the nut down properly.

The very simple process of soaking releases these chemicals, helping you to absorb your food’s essential minerals and nutrients. Additionally, by soaking the nuts with the removal of these nutritional inhibitors and toxic substances, the flavor and taste is much more ideal and appealing.

To summarize: Soaking nuts and seeds makes them easier to digest and improves their flavor.

How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters

How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters
**NOTES**

• Only soak nuts for making nut butter, if you can dehydrate them (see the above soaking chart on how to dehydrate with a dehydrator or oven).
  • The soaking water from nuts and seeds should always be discarded and never used as water in a recipe.
  • When making homemade nut butter you can either do so with the raw soaked then dehydrated nuts or following dehydration, you can roast them to bring a deeper, toasty flavor, if you wish. This step is optional.
  • If soaking isn’t important to you, go ahead and roast the raw nuts and use those. That is your choice.
  • I personally always opt for organic nuts, whenever possible. To minimize my exposure to any additional unnecessary toxins, chemicals, pesticides, etc.

How-to Make Homemade Nut Butters

Different nuts, spices and flavors.

How-to Make Raw Cashew Butter

This raw cashew butter is lightly sweetened with a little raw sugar and just a dash of sea salt, it is so creamy and rich with a unique flavor. I love it on banana or in a smoothie, in the morning.

How-to Make Spiced Maple Pecan Butter

I used the above simple nut butter instructions, using 2 cups of raw (soaked and dehydrated) pecans to make a pecan butter. I then added about 1 tablespoon of organic grade B maple syrup, 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, a pinch of ground ginger and a little sea salt. This delectable treat tastes like a pecan pie in a jar. It’s amazing as is straight from the jar, served on oatmeal or toast or used as you would any nut butter.

Additional Optional Add-ins:

• vanilla extract or fresh vanilla bean
  • baking spices – such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, etc
  • raw cacao or cocoa powder
  • herbs and spices to create savory nut butters. Such as chili powder, curry, cumin, oregano, garam rosemary and so on

NOTE: always process the nut butters completely first, then add in any extra flavors to the finished butter by stirring in by hand or quickly processing for 1 minute or less.

How-to Make Homemade Nutella

One of my favorite flavor variations is this homemade rich and creamy, sweet and chocolately vegan nutella. It has an amazing flavor from the roasted hazelnuts, it is literally like a grown-up frosting. I can eat this right out of the jar with a spoon and that is basically about all I do with it. I like to savor each spoonful.

How-to Make Homemade Nutella

How-to Make Homemade Nutella

• 2 cups soaked and dehydrated raw hazelnuts (see above chart on how to do this)
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao or cocoa powder
  • 1-2 tablespoons neutral, light tasting or flavor-complimenting oil, I prefer coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste from one vanilla bean (I went with both)
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar or other granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325º F. After soaking and dehydrating (see above), place the hazelnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast the hazelnuts for 10-15 minutes, watching very closely, you don’t want them to burn. Once they are ready, the skins will have darkened a bit and many will have come loose.
2. Add the nuts to the middle of a damp kitchen towel. Close the towel up and rub the nuts vigorously to loosen their skins. Take the nuts without their skins out of the towel and place into the bowl of the processor. Continue rubbing until you get the skins off the rest of the nuts. There will always be a few stubborn ones that just won’t release their skins. It’s cool.

3. Add all of the nuts to your food processor. Grind to a fine powder (2-10 minutes, or so), At this time, add the coconut oil. Continue processing until it becomes smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl every minute or two. This may take 12-15 minutes (possibly longer) depending on the strength of your food processor.

4. At around 15-20 minutes once the hazelnut butter is ready, now you can add in the remaining ingredients slowly and keep processing and scraping down the bowl for another 5-10 minutes, or until silky smooth. Enjoy a big spoonful while it is warm.

**Warning you will dream about this stuff being in your fridge every minute of the day, until the last of it is gone.**

Can’t Have Nuts?

This nut-free sunflower seed butter is super simple to make and it’s a wonderful substitute in most recipes that call for a nut butter of some kind. I find that toasting the sunflower seeds is necessary for getting the most amazing toasty, nutty flavor possible.

How-to Make Sunflower Seed Butter

How-to Make Sunflower Seed Butter

Storing your Nut and Seed Butters:

Nut butters will keep for several weeks in a glass jar with a cover in the fridge. You can also freeze nut butters for up to 4 months.

Some people make quick nut milks by blending about a tablespoonful of their homemade nut butter with a cup of water. I’ve never tried it myself but I cannot wait to.

Equipment:

This is the 14-cup Food Processor that I use and I cannot recommend enough.

This is the 6-Tray Dehydrator the I use, I really like it and it is so affordable compared to other brands.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!

1 Ali @ Inspiralized March 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

You’re amazing to put this all together. I’ve been really wanting to make my own nut butters and this is just what I needed.

2 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Aww Ali, thank you so much! I hope this tutorial helps!!

3 Linda Stoddard March 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

I cannot WAIT to try these–I always ‘knew’ there was more to making nut butters than simply grinding them up and your tutorial provides the jumping board to be able to do these correctly and in a healthy manner. I’m so thankful, Beth! xoLinda

4 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Linda! I am so glad you enjoy. You are too sweet xo ;)

5 Meg@ Beard and Bonnet March 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

LOVE this! I am going to have to make each and every one of these now:)

6 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Thanks so much Meg! I am kinda obsessed with all of them.

7 Jeanne March 18, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Thank you so much for this post and all the work to put it together. This may seem funny but…which nut butter would produce the closest result to simulate peanut butter. My granddaughter is VERY picky and addicted to peanut butter. I want to move her diet to more paleo and get her off the peanuts!

8 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm

hey Jeanne – you are welcome and thank you for reading! Hmm that’s a tough question I think for me, almond butter is the closest. You can also play around with combos, maybe sunflower seeds and almonds together would provide a similar texture. I say play around and find the one she likes best.

9 Cindy March 26, 2014 at 7:13 am

In Canada we have a peanut butter-like product called Peabutter. It is made with peas in a totally nut-free environment. They do not allow ANY nuts of any kind in the factory. Not even in your own lunches. I found it to be a good option and the taste is pretty close to peanuts as well.
Webpage: http://www.peabutter.ca I do not know if they ship to the US.

10 Jana September 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Jeanne — I just made a small test batch (no soaking), that came out tasting quite close to peanut butter:

1 oz. slivered almonds
1 oz. cashews (bought roasted & salted)
0.5 oz. sunflower seeds (bought roasted & salted)
0.05 oz. ground flaxseed
0.05 oz. coc0nut oil; or more — start small and add to desired consistency
salt to taste

Beth — Excellent, outstanding post! Photography is thorough AND well done; same for the explanations. I had always stopped too soon, so your by-the-minute photos are super helpful!

11 Jana September 24, 2014 at 7:59 am

PS – After more tasting, I decided the sunflower seed taste is too prominent. I would cut way back or delete them, and replace with more cashews. Also, I may try adding dates for sweetening.

12 Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen March 18, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Beth, completely blown away by this (and your last Tutorial Tuesday)! Amazing.

13 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Awww Lexi – thank you so so much! xox

14 Kellie March 18, 2014 at 2:15 pm

This is awesome! Thank you!!!

15 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Thanks Kellie!

16 Alexa March 18, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This is an amazing post! Thanks for sharing the tips! I will definitely be trying to make some nut butters this weekend!

17 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Thank you so much Alexa – I hope you enjoy whichever ones you make.

18 Michelle March 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Wow Beth, I’m with everyone else. This is AMAZING!! I can’t wait to try them all. I just spent $32.00 on Almond Butter, never again, thanks to you :)

19 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thanks so much Michelle!! Yes girl, start making your almond butter!! It’s just soooo good!!

20 Kris March 18, 2014 at 7:37 pm

This is a KILLER post, girl. I’m so impressed with every little detail. Aaaannd I can’t wait to make all of these!

21 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Awww thanks so much Kris! That is so sweet. Yeh girl have a nut butter party like I did ;)

22 Monica March 18, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing! I will be making the one with pecans this weekend. I made nutella and almond butter before, they were delicious!

23 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:50 pm

You’re welcome Monica. Thanks for the comment. I hope you love the pecan butter as much as I do. ;)

24 T.Scholtz March 18, 2014 at 9:08 pm

mmmm…I love nut butters, but I never even thought to roast sunflower seeds and make them into a butter! Sounds yummy!

25 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Oooh the sunflower seed butter is just amazing and they make the house smell amazing when they are roasting.

26 EA-The Spicy RD March 18, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Awesome post & tutorial! Homemade nut butters are definitely the way to go, and so easy to make. My two favorites I make at home are maple vanilla pecan, and cinnamon raisin walnut. I definitely need to make that Nutella-yum!

27 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thanks so much, lady!! Those two sound amazing. Do you add the raisins in at the end or do you process them?

28 EA-The Spicy RD March 19, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Raisins at the end :-)

29 Courtney F March 19, 2014 at 4:40 am

First off, thanks for the how-to .. I love explicit directions!!

But I do have a question that wasn’t covered: how to store? Frig? Counter?

Thanks in advance!!

30 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 6:40 am

Hey Courtney – thanks!! Glad you like. As far as storing, that’s all up there, right at the bottom of the post ;) I know there is a lot there so I am sure you just missed it!

31 Courtney F March 19, 2014 at 8:05 am

Damn, missed it. Sorry girl!!

You’re right, it’s a lot, but I know I for one am most appreciative!!

32 Joni March 19, 2014 at 8:09 am

Thanks for all the wonderful options! The pecan butter sounds amazing! Question: why don’t you soak the Brazil nuts or the pistachios? I actually soaked and dehydrated Brazil nuts once and they came out disgusting (surprising, because soaking most nuts makes them more delicious), but is there a health reason not to?

33 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Thanks Joni. I have looked at many many different reports on soaking times and most show that brazil nuts and pistachios don’t require soaking. I am assuming that the phytic acid, toxins and enzyme inhibitors must not be present. I have looked and looked and I just cannot find a definitive answer but that would make the most logical sense to me.

34 Joni March 20, 2014 at 4:49 am

Ok, thanks! Your pictures for this post are gorgeous, by the way :-)

35 sue/the view from great island March 19, 2014 at 10:54 am

This is an amazing post — I’ve made all kinds of nut butters, but I’ve never had the energy to do an overview like this! Your photos are incredible.

36 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Thanks so much Sue!! I really appreciate it.

37 Liz March 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I bought a food processor for the sole purpose of making nut butters, but after circumstances demanded my Vitamix be used, I’ve never looked back. It takes a mere FRACTION of the time to make nut butter as it does in a food processor, and the results are ALWAYS so much CREAMIER and smoother. It’s a win-win.

And, I must be mentally challenged because, although I always have about half a dozen homemade nut butters on hand, I fail fail FAIL at making sunbutter EVERY time. (That and homemade tahini are the BANE of my culinary existence. ;) ) Mine always comes out GRAY, not that beautiful brown color your butter has. I’m going to try one more time with your EXPLICIT instructions and see how things go. Cross your fingers for me!

I love these tutorials. The coconut whipped cream was AWESOME for the brand comparisons alone! :)

PS It is SO wonderful to have you back here on the blog full-time! Though, I missed you, the “break” from it seems to have done wonders for you as you are just on FIRE with your posts. Your entries post yoga teacher certification seem so full of energy, enthusiasm, purpose and passion. I know it seems silly to say, but they FEEL different. Like they’re vibrating with all this good energy and excitement. :) The whole blog feels renewed somehow.

38 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hey Liz, I have heard differing opinions on the vitamix for making the nut butters so I am happy to hear you love it so much. Maybe some day I will have one of my own and I can give you my own thoughts. haha. I wonder if maybe you tried toasting the sunflower seeds and making the butter in the food processor, to see if there is a difference between that and the Vitamix? Also did you soak your sunflower seeds in the past? roast them?

Thanks for all of you insanely kinds words. I am happy you are loving these tutorials, that makes me sooo happy!

Also your PS – seriously touched me in ways I cannot even begin to explain. You moved me to tears. Thank you thank you. You have no clue how much I needed to hear that this week. It means so much to know that my passion and excitement is coming through in my written words, I seriously never know. I feel a brand new fresh breath of energy moving through me after teacher training so it is so exciting to hear that it is apparent – thank you, thank you, thank you! It’s comments like this that make the late nights, long hours and silly projects I get myself involved in all worth it! <3

39 Liz April 23, 2014 at 10:13 am

Tsk, aw! I’m so glad my words found you at the right moment, Beth. What you have been doing lately is AMAZING; it’s like new life has been breathed into the blog. And, rest assured that your heart and soul (AND efforts) are definitely shining through in all of your posts. (I’m certain that I am not the only who feels that way. :) )

Regarding the sunbutter: I’ve made it twice now since you’ve posted this, and it’s the best tasting sunbutter I’ve EVER made. I’m still not getting that awesome golden color, but the flavor was much improved. I think what my problem was that I was roasting the seeds at too high a temp (I’ve always done 350*F). It’s the only thing that I did differently (I’ve been soaking and dehydrating all my seeds and nuts for years now). Now, if only I could get my sunbutter to actually taste like Sunbutter. I don’t know HOW they make that stuff, but it is DEE-licious.

In fact, I’ve been roasting all my nut butter nuts at 325*F since you posted this tutorial and I’ve been getting tastier results all around.

As a total side note: Have you started teaching yoga classes in CA? I would LOVE, love, LOVE if you could tape one of your classes and post it — or a little snippet — here for us to share in the awesomeness. :)

(Please forgive my late reply. I had EVERY intention of responding as soon as you got back to me. :/ Regardless of the delay, the sentiment is just as genuine. :)

40 Kristen Burton March 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hi! What brand food processor do you use? I have been making almond butter for almost two years now and it has almost all but killed my food processor. I have a Cuisanart which I thought was a good brand (and not cheap) but what brand should I buy next knowing the toll that nut butters take on the machine? Thanks in advance!

41 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Hey Kristen I actually included a link to it at the bottom of the post – here it is again http://amzn.to/1jDdSvS
It is a cuisinart and I haven’t had any issues, even with making 5 different nut butters the day I worked on this post ;)
I know many people swear by the Vitamix too, but I haven’t tried it yet, as I don’t have one.

42 Daphne March 19, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I have a lot of sliced almonds. Would they work for almond butter? Or, is it best to stick with whole almonds.

43 tastyyummies March 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I don’t see why not Daphne but I haven’t made it with sliced almond before myself. I say go for it ;) And of course, report back!

44 Kristine March 20, 2014 at 9:41 am

yes! THANK YOU for this!!!

45 Emma March 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

I stumbled across this recipe on pinterest, just as I’m embarking on a gluten free diet. With the aim to see if it helps with my IBS. I’m also thrilled to see all the other recipes! Now I don’t feel so scared about this new adventure. Thank you for being so inspiring!

46 Kate March 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hi There!
Thanks for this awesome tutorial, I definitely want to try the almond butter but I have a question about the peanut butter! My son really likes “crunchy” PB for his sandwiches (and just slathered on a slice of apple) do you have any tips on how to get a good balance of “crunch”? I was contemplating making the butter like you described, but holding back a portion and adding them near the end so they don’t get quite as pureed?

47 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

You are welcome Kate. Thank you for reading.
Yeh that’s exactly how I would do it. Hold some till the end then add them in already chopped and whir it around just a bit.

48 Sylvie | Gourmande in the Kitchen March 21, 2014 at 2:21 am

What a super informative post and that soaking chart is really handy!

49 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Thanks so much Sylvie. (sorry somehow I missed your comment)

50 Linz @ Itz Linz March 21, 2014 at 4:03 am

i tried to make my own sunflower seed butter once in a my mini food processor and i burnt out the motor! i wonder if itz because my seeds weren’t soaked?! i’m going to try again!

51 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

hard to say what might cause that, could be the processor itself, could be how long you ran it, might be that they weren’t soaked, too many variables. Try it this way and see how it goes for you.

52 Jon March 21, 2014 at 9:25 am

This is so cool! We used to make our own peanut butter and would roast the nuts but the results were very inconsistent. I’m excited to try your method with soaking and dehydrating, thank you!

53 danielle browitt March 21, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Do you HAVE to dehydrate the nuts after soaking to make the butter? I don’t have a dehydrator and don’t see myself spending a full day roasting nuts in the oven.

54 tastyyummies March 21, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hey Danielle – thanks for writing. If you read the post fully I not only explain why it is very important to dehydrate the nuts when making nut butter, but I also give instructions for dehydrating them in the oven. If you don’t want to dedicate the time, then I would suggest skipping soaking and either making the nut butters with raw nuts or roasted nuts. Unsoaked. That said. I think the amount of time it takes is well worth it for the fact that the nuts are far easier to digest when soaked. Hope that helps.

55 Michelle March 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Thank you for this great post!!!

Question… Would it be ok for me to go ahead and soak and then dehydrate (in my oven) right after I bring nuts home from grocery shopping, and then keep them in mason jars in the fridge… or am I better off to store them until I need them, THEN soak and dehydrate right before using?

56 tastyyummies March 21, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Great question. Once dehydrated nuts can be stored in the fridge for about 2 weeks and the freezer for about 2 months – so you can do that ahead of time as long as you plan to make your nut butters in that time. You can also just store the nuts as is and soak and dehydrate before you make the butter, I don’t actually think there is a benefit to one over the other, that I know of.

57 Michelle March 24, 2014 at 10:02 am

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

58 kathleen stafford March 23, 2014 at 6:15 am

Fabulous tutorial and information. You’ve done, I think, the best job covering all the nuts, seeds, flavors, add-ins and so on for any nut butter you will ever want to make.
Thank you for sharing.

59 Ellen March 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm

This post is amazing! Thank you!

60 Mary March 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thank you!!
My english is not very good, I’ll have to take my time to read this, but thank you so much for this recipes and tips :)

61 Sheena March 23, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Awesome photos!!

62 Cara March 24, 2014 at 2:03 am

Hello there :) this post is very helpful, thank you so much! One question though, I tried making a version of the homemade Nutella before and used homemade almond milk and it went bad and smelt funny after about three days. Is it better to buy almond milk from the store because it’s somewhat processed and won’t go bad so easily? Any tips? How long did yours keep (given it could even survive that long)? ;) thank you!!

63 tastyyummies March 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Hey Cara, hmmm that’s weird. Maybe with homemade almond milk because of the water used and no preservatives, it spoiled sooner. I made my nutella over a week and a half ago and it’s still good. I used canned coconut milk for mine.

64 j March 24, 2014 at 6:11 am

thank you for showing the various stages of the blending process: I have given up too soon.

65 Katie March 24, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I found your blog through the Free People blog, and I’m so happy that I did! This is so informative and interesting, and I can’t wait to give it a try :)

xo Katie

66 Tegan Westra March 24, 2014 at 10:13 pm

What a great post! Appreciate all the time and effort you put in to create it :)

67 Christina March 25, 2014 at 1:53 am

Thank you so much for this post! I love it so much and it’s so thorough! Cannot wait to give the nutella a try! :)

Christina x

68 adi March 25, 2014 at 5:12 am

Hi, amazing post, thank. I hope im not repeating a question here but can ask what is the importance of dehydrating. I understand the importance of soaking butI have made homemade hazelnut butter before without dehydrating. What difference will there be if I do? Thanks again forthis aazingly informative post!

69 tastyyummies March 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Adi, that is covered up in the post and in the comments, but the main point is that if you don’t dehydrate the nuts when making nut butter, the butter will not be quite as creamy and smooth, it will be pastey, chunky and chalky. When making nut butters you are releasing the natural oils from the nuts, if there is water mixed in, well we all know what happens when you mix oil and water, it doesn’t happen. Additionally, due to the water content the butter would spoil significantly quicker. Possibly in a few days.

70 The Girl with the Suitcase March 25, 2014 at 6:04 am

Great photos!

71 Sarah March 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Great information! I want to make sunflower seed butter. If I plan to roast, is it possible to skip the dehydrating step? Or perhaps shorten it? Thanks!

72 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Thanks Sarah. You can skip the roasting, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I find the flavor of the sunflower seeds to be much better when roasted. As far as skipping the dehydrating, I am not sure how “roasted” they will get if they go into the oven damp from soaking. I suppose you could try it. Definitely don’t make the butter with the soaked but not dehydrated seeds, it won’t come together and it will spoil.

73 Hiromi March 27, 2014 at 4:46 am

Love Tutorial Tuesdays, learn something every time. I was making nut butters without the soaking and drying. will definitely try this now.

74 Lori April 1, 2014 at 4:25 am

How long should I dehydrate the nuts in the dehydrator?

75 tastyyummies April 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hey Lori, that is all covered up in the post with the soaking times. It tells the time for dehydrating in a dehydrator and in the oven. Thanks.

76 Mike April 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

so can you only make these nut butters with a food processor? i have a high speed blender
could that work? or if i need a food processor whats a good price for one, and good quality? let me know :)

77 tastyyummies April 3, 2014 at 7:06 am

Hey Mike, I have only made my nut butter in a food processor myself, this is the one I use: http://amzn.to/1jDdSvS
I know many people swear by high speed blenders, like Vitamix or Blendtec, then I have heard others say that they don’t love the results. I have never tried it personally, so I cannot say, but I suppose it’s worth a shot! Hope that helps.

78 Heidi April 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I made the almond butter and the Nutella. Both are amazing! I really want to lock myself in a room with the Nutella and not leave until I’m done with it. Thanks for the awesome recipes. I love to make as much of my own food as possible and these will really help with some things I eat a lot of — nut butters.

79 Azlan April 7, 2014 at 6:49 am

thank you! i’m already having ideas! this is priceless. i love nutella but i don’t like the preservatives and chemicals that go with it. heck, the reason why i stayed away from mcD and fast food since 1998! since we have been making a lot of homemade stuff now, this will be another addition.

80 noelle April 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi beth – thanks a million! Love your blog and now loving the tutorials! Just soaking hazelnuts for the first time ever and cant wait to have nutella for breakfast.

81 Filipa April 18, 2014 at 1:54 pm

How much coconut oil is needed????

82 Cati April 19, 2014 at 8:31 am

Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m so glad there is people on earth like you who is willing to share and help others with healthy recipes!!! So terrifically well done!!!!

83 Rebecca April 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Love this post but have a question… I make a lot of homemade nut butters and decided to make your Nutella recipe. Everything was going great – the hazelnut butter was well developed and nice and smooth just as I liked. I added in the cocoa, sugar etc but when I added the almond milk the whole mixture seized up. I continued to try and get it smooth by processing it for almost 20 minutes and finally gave up because the motor on my processor was very hot and the mixture was thick and crumbly not smooth and creamy like it was before adding the almond milk. I have never added almond milk to my nut butters knowing that oil and water (more or less) don’t mix. How did you get the almond milk into your Nutella and keep it spreadable? My whole batch was ruined after that and I am so bummed to have wasted all those good nuts:( It really seemed perfect before I added the milk. Thanks!

84 tastyyummies April 21, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Rebecca, oh no! I am so sorry this happened. This has happened to me once, I am not sure why only the one time and what made that time different. Same exact scenario, I was angry and was about to throw it out, then I decided to try just about anything, so I added much more almond milk than usual. If I recall a full 1/4 cup more maybe. That brought it back around and it was perfectly creamy and smooth. I still to this day have no clue why that one time it decided to seize up, when I was doing things exactly the way I had every other time. I would say if you haven’t thrown it out just yet, try adding more milk. So sorry again that it happened to you.

85 Rebecca April 22, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Okay, thanks I’ll keep that in mind in case it happens again! I did throw it out :( so I can’t try it this time, but will keep that in mind for future. Thanks for your response!

86 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm

My pleasure.

87 Jen Butler April 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi – just a note in response to the last few posts from 4/22. I have tried numerous times to make a variety of nut butters and am only successful if I don’t add the sweetener until the butter is out of the food processor. For me, the machine gets too warm (and obviously the butter) that it tends to cook the sugar, creating a pasty and unspreadable consistency.

Instead I would recommend getting all the blending done with spices, etc., then transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the sweetener. You can also try layering the butter, then some oil and sweetener in 3-4 layers in the storage container if you don’t want to dirty more than one dish :) Hope this helps! Amazing post.

88 tastyyummies April 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hi Jen, I do think that there is a lot of variables when making nut butters, most especially with the type of food processor being used. I have never had an issue with my nut butters becoming pasty or unspreadable and I always add my sweetener while it’s still in the processor. With the nutella, since you are adding chocolate and some processors can heat up, there is definitely a possibility that it could heat up enough to seize the chocolate, which did happen to me once. As I mentioned above, I just found that adding a bit more liquid helped.

Glad to hear that you have found what works for you and your machine and I think that is great advice for anyone that might have similar issues. Thanks so much for sharing.

89 Cybs Shaw May 22, 2014 at 7:22 am

This is an awesome collection! I have been searching without a lot of joy to find Paleo butter recipes but they are a bit thin on the ground until I came across your website. Really well put together. I hope it’s ok, I have a very small blog, but I’m going to let my little band of followers know all about you and your mad skills! Thank you so much for all your hard work in putting this altogether, I take my hat off to you! Cybs :D

90 Fiona June 2, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much for the fantastic recipes. I bought a Magimix last week and it is simply great to make the different butters, and only takes about 5 minutes. My husband is planning on making the ‘nutella’ on the weekend. I don’t think it will last long in the fridge!

Thanks again,

Fiona
Salisbury, UK

91 tastyyummies June 3, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks for the comment Fiona! Wow that’s great the butters only take 5 minutes in your Magimix, how cool!! Oh yeh, I can tell you with certainty that the nutella will not last long, it is amazing!!

92 Savi Malfitano June 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

What food processor do you use? I don’t have one yet and have been ding my research but the majority of the options I find on good quality ones are very expensive!

93 tastyyummies June 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Hey Savi, I included links to all of the tools that I use, up top in the post ;) Thanks!

94 Megan July 2, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hi Beth!
Wow you are so patient to answer so many questions :) Here is one that I hope I didn’t miss in reading the comments.

Can you over-soak your nuts? i.e. The recommended time might be 8-12 hours for almonds, but if I left them longer would it be a big deal? Might it be better to drain them and store them in the refrigerator or keep them in the liquid until I could dehydrate them?

Thanks for the great tutorials. My mom is allergic to almonds, so I can’t wait to whip up some pecan or walnut butter for her :)
Cheers,
Megan

95 Willow @ Will Cook For Friends July 18, 2014 at 8:57 am

I adore homemade nut and seed butters… that pecan butter sounds amazing! I never knew all the details on soaking nuts, but I knew they were supposed to be better than unsoaked. Thanks for all the info!

96 Sanz July 27, 2014 at 6:41 am

Hi Beth

I have a question, can I use roasted nuts to soak, dehydrate then roast again before turning it into nut butter?

Thanks,
Sanz

97 Natie Durand July 28, 2014 at 5:12 am

Will try it out, great for banters, your heat I presume is in degrees F and not Celsius.

98 Natie Durand July 28, 2014 at 5:25 am

Just a warning, better to soak that natural protection is cyanide, very little but it is there, will not kill anybody, to small amount you might die from obesity first than from the cyanide.

99 Denise July 30, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for putting this tutorial together. Very excited to get started. Quick question, have you ever added flax seeds to your recipes or used flax seed oil?

100 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 31, 2014 at 9:59 am

You are welcome and thank you for reading! I have not tried adding flax seeds or flax seed oil, but I really like that idea a lot!!

101 Cheryl August 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Can you use a Vita-Mix instead of the Food Processor?

102 Tania @BordeauxKitchen August 5, 2014 at 11:22 am

Hi Beth! I am so impressed with the photography AND the nut butters! So far I have tried the (unsoaked) Brazil Nut (killer, oh so good!) and the soaked, dehydrated,roasted NUTELLA! I have posted both on Twitter and referenced your website, of course, for the recipes. Thank you for providing alternatives to the expensive stuff and to the usually made-with-sunflower-or-other-ratty-oils Nutellas of the world! Next up: Almond Butter! Thank you so much! Tania

103 Amity September 10, 2014 at 2:58 am

Thank you so much for the step-by-step description. I am so excited to see that I have everything I need to make homemade chocolate spread!!! I just need to get out and buy a nutcracker as I have heaps of hazelnuts in the garden :D
Then it’s hazelnut butter with variations and chocolate spread. Yummy!

104 lori @ The HealthMinded.com September 26, 2014 at 7:36 am

I think this has to be the best post on nut butters out there! Bravo! Nuts are a great source of healthy fats and I sometimes throw some raw ones like Brazil nuts in my smoothies to get a shot of selenium. Pinning this great post!

105 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 27, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thanks Lori!!

106 Leah September 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Hey Beth!
You have some great recipes and ideas….love your imagination with the nut butters. My only caveat is using sugar. Have you seen ‘sugar, the bitter truth?’ by Dr. Lustig? He’s on YouTube.
Gonna be making some of these butters for sure!

107 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 27, 2014 at 7:36 am

Leah, sweetener isn’t necessary in any of these recipes, it is totally optional and there are many ways to choose other options besides sugar.
Hope you enjoy your butter when you make it.
Thanks.

108 KASY October 22, 2014 at 10:35 am

Just a question, well maybe two. I have read about the Phytates and indigestible issues with nuts & nut butters if soaking and dehydrating are not followed and I truly believe. Here’s my question, If you buy organic walnuts, almonds, hazlenuts (those are all I like) and if they are organic, can you just roast them to get the same result meaning with those problematic enzyme inhibitors and toxins and phytates (phytic acid), polyphenols (tannins), and goitrogens things you mentioned being dealt with that way.
ex. will roasting an organic nut eradicate or reduce these or should the soaking and dehydrating process then roasting be done to be sure of it?
Thanks for your help. Love this blog.
P.S. Is the dehydrator in the link the same one you use?

109 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 23, 2014 at 8:27 am

Kasy, that’s a great question. As far as I know, roasting or cooking in any way, doesn’t remove them, no. I have only ever heard about the soaking process being successful in doing that and that time for soaking varies by nuts, as you saw.
Yup, the dehydrator in the link is exactly the one i use.

110 Rachel October 30, 2014 at 8:12 am

I just made a batch of the hazelnut chocolate spread. Things didn’t turn out so well :(
I have a taffy-like block of a chocolate hazelnut substance. I’m thinking that it was an issue with a food processor not completely up to the job… What are your ideas?

Thanks so much for these tutorials! Love them :)

111 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 30, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I am sorry to hear that happened. Hmm chocolate and heat can be weird and if your food processor heats up it can certainly cause the chocolate to melt and then seize up. That happened to me once before and I let it cool down and then I added more liquid (in this case non-dairy milk) and it worked just perfectly. If you didn’t throw it out you can try adding more milk and see what happens. Thanks for the comment.

112 Niveen November 30, 2014 at 1:06 am

Great post, thanks a lot..

Any idea of the expiration date of these homemade nut butters? especially for peanut and almond butter.

Thanks again.

113 Felicity November 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Thank you for having this post! I have never tried other nut butters before and I recently came into possession of 2kg each of walnuts and brazil nuts. I had no idea what to do with them and someone suggested turn some of them into nut butters.

Well my kitchen has never been more nutty! (pun intended)
I have made cakes, butters, slices, ice creams, truffles and a few other bits and pieces just to use up all these nuts.

Thank you. Will be referring to this post in the future – I can’t wait to try some homemade nutella!

114 Robert Jenks December 2, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Why only use the soaked nuts for butter?

115 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 3, 2014 at 7:19 am

The reason is specified right in the post.

116 Julie December 4, 2014 at 5:37 am

From my research, the nuts should be soaked in salt water. The salt breaks up the enzymes.

117 Sheila December 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Hi!
Question: cashew butter….if I make it, ship it, and it sits under a tree until Dec 25th before being refrigerated, is that a bad idea? I understand it needs to be stored chilled, but how long does it have before it starts going bad? Will it last a few days before the fridge? (maybe I can tell them to fridge upon delivery?). I can also sterilize the jars if it’s a bacterial thing. Thanks!!

118 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 14, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Sheila, the issue with nut butters and not being preserved is that they can go rancid. Probably it will be OK with it not being exceptionally hot currently, but I cannot say for sure. There is just no way to know. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to food spoiling, bacteria, etc.

119 Sheila December 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Your site rocks-
Another question- the Nutella, do you refrigerate that too? Do you need to “can” it or can it just be placed in a lidded jar- and how long does it keep? Thanks so much.

120 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Sheila. I refrigerate it, yes. I refrigerate all of my homemade nut butters. You don’t have to preserve it, no. As I mention in the post they will keep for several weeks in the fridge, I would say around 4 weeks.