Spiced Orange Chocolate Chip Waffles {Gluten-free + Dairy-free} with Orange Spice Maple Syrup

Spiced Orange Chocolate Chip Waffles (Gluten-free + Dairy-free) with Orange Spice Maple Syrup

It’s rare that I have a morning with enough time to make a big breakfast. Most days I start with my warm lemon water, a home yoga practice, then I make a quick smoothie and get right into my work for the day.

On the rare occasion where I don’t have to rush to my desk or to some sort of commitment, I love making a scramble or frittata of some sort, or on the extra special days, a delicious and comforting waffle.

I have been playing around with a different waffle recipe from the ones I have used in the past. I was looking for a lighter waffle, that wasn’t dense and heavy in the center, but would also get a nice crispy outside to it, which is my favorite part. I have made several variations to this waffle recipe and they always come out amazing.

I happened on this recipe from Aretha Frankenstein a while back and I adapted it to make it gluten-free. Since I had picked the last of the beautiful oranges from our tree, I also updated the recipe with a fun new flavor combination. The orange spice flavor is subtle in the actual waffles, but it is brought out and complimented nicely by the little bits of dark chocolate chips. Two things that go so perfectly together, if you ask me.

The specially made Orange Spice Maple Syrup I created to compliment these waffles is a very simple-to-make addition, that shouldn’t be overlooked if you have an extra few minutes to spare. To me, that delicious unique maple syrup really sets this recipe over the top!

My waffle iron makes two massive waffles with this recipe and usually hubby and I share one and save the other for the next day.

NOTES:

* I use this waffle iron. I cook each waffle for just about 3 – 3.5 minutes each. This recipe yields two VERY large Belgium waffles with this particular maker, using approximately 1 cup of batter for each waffle.

** You can also use tapioca starch, potato starch or cornstarch

Orange Spice Maple Syrup

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!

1 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet February 24, 2014 at 11:40 am

These are gorgeous!!! I could eat them up right now.

2 Helen @ Scrummy Lane February 24, 2014 at 9:58 pm

You have an orange tree?! Wow, I’m definitely envious! I would love a lemon tree, too, and a lime tree of course. You’ve also made me want to go out and get a waffle iron … I love the idea of mixing chocolate with orange.

3 Lilli February 25, 2014 at 2:56 am

This looks so good, I might have to get up and make them right now! Even though it’s 3am!!

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 25, 2014 at 7:01 am

Beth, these were SO good, just made them for breakfast :)

5 tastyyummies February 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm

YAY!! I love that you made already, I am so so glad you liked them, Gina. Thanks so much. xo

6 Brandy @ A Mindful Mantra February 25, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Gah, your maple syrup sounds amazing! I really wish I wasn’t on a candida cleanse so that I could make these asap! Also, I LOVE the design of that plate.

7 tastyyummies February 28, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Brandy. Well after your cleanse you’ll have to try it out and tell me what you think. ;)

8 Sylvie | Gourmande in the Kitchen February 26, 2014 at 1:34 am

Oh my goodness these sound so good, especially with that syrup on top!

9 tastyyummies February 28, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Thanks so much Sylvie ;) The syrup really makes them amazing!

10 Laureen March 2, 2014 at 10:13 am

I tried the recipe this morning for our Sunday breakfast–but I goofed up in using my waffle iron (I didn’t prep it correctly, and the batter stuck), so I instead used the batter to make pancakes, and they were absolutely delicious! There is just the right amount of chocolate to make them feel indulgent–and the hint of orange complemented the chocolate flavor perfectly. A big thumbs-up from everyone at my house–including my usually very picky three-year-old, who kept asking for more! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe–it’s a keeper for sure. :)