Today is an exciting day! Well yes, it’s election day. Which is obviously HUGE, I hope for my American readers that you’ve already gone out and voted. But, it’s also book release day for my friend Alexis of Lexi’s Clean Kitchen. Her debut book Lexi’s Clean Kitchen hits stands today and this is an absolute must for your kitchens. Featuring over 150 delicious paleo-friendly recipes to nourish your life, this cookbook brings the focus to achieving health and happiness through the simple concept of eating clean. With a collection of fresh, creative yet practical and approachable recipes, Lexi makes eating at home, easy, tasty and fuss-free.
For those of us with gut issues, Lexi has a similar path to her healthy lifestyle, so her story brings feelings of familiarity and with that that instant connection. Lexi’s Clean Kitchen delivers an abundance of healthy meals packed with amazing flavor, like Thai Meatballs, Classic Chili, One-Pan Arroz con Pollo, Maple-Glazed Salmon, and Sriracha Lime Chopped Chicken Salad, with healthier options of your favorite indulgent foods, like French Toast Sticks, Perfect Waffles, Birthday Cake, Easy Sandwich Bread, and more!
This Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad in particular caught my attention for this year’s big feast. A fantastic alternative to the boring green lettuce salads of Thanksgivings past, this salad features toasted hazelnuts, dried cranberries, parmesan cheese (which is optional) and a quick red wine dressing. It’s the perfect fuss-free side dish accompaniment to your holiday meals, especially with limited space on the stove top and in the oven. Toast the hazelnuts ahead of time or buy toasted hazelnuts to keep it even simpler.
Grab a copy of Lexi’s Clean Kitchen, it’s the perfect way to be prepared for the holidays ahead and it makes a great gift for the clean-eating sweeties in your life.
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts, skins removed (see notes)
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus shaved Parmesan for garnish
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- Optional: cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and toast in the pan for 5 minutes, tossing often to avoid burning. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
- Shred the Brussels sprouts, place them in a food processor and pulse until fine shreds form. (You should have about 5 cups.)
- Put the Brussels sprouts, toasted hazelnuts, grated parmesan cheese, and cranberries in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Toss the salad with cracked pepper, if adding, and your desired amount of dressing. Serve immediately garnished with shave Parmesan cheese.
Omit cheese to make this recipe paleo and vegan.
Want to make this salad a meal? Top it will grilled chicken or salmon.