Paleo Breakfast Sausage Patties are simple to make at home. Just about 15 minutes of work and you’ve got ready made breakfast options for the week. With a pre-made hard or soft boiled egg (or any eggs really) and a side of greens or other veggies, you’re starting your day with quality protein, fat, greens and fiber, without any of the sketchy ingredients found in many store-bought sausages and you have a well rounded breakfast for the busy mornings, ready in just minutes.
I find one of the best ways to feeling more in control of your meals and let’s be honest, your life, is to plan ahead. With cooking, while I don’t fully subscribe personally to meal prep or even very rigid, planned out batch cooking, I am always looking for ways to cook in abundance so I can cook once and enjoy multiple times over.
These Paleo Breakfast Sausage are a perfect example of that. Often I will make a double batch so we have plenty on hand for the week, for simple breakfasts without the fuss.
I love that when making your own paleo breakfast sausage patties that you can control the ingredients, the type and amount of spice and you can know when you source your meat mindfully and thoughtfully, you are nourishing yourself with quality food, rather than factory famed meats void of any of the important nutrients we can hope to assimilate from our animal proteins.
I use pasture-raised ground pork for these paleo sausage patties, usually sourced from ButcherBox or Diamond Mountain Ranch. I have also used ground dark meat chicken and ground turkey with great results.
If you wish to use this sausage as ground meat, simply skip forming into patties and cook up as you would any ground meat. Once of my favorites uses for this homemade sausage is my Paleo Sausage and Herb Bread Stuffing or Paleo Sausage and Biscuits. I also love adding it to my Sheet Pan Baked Eggs, Grain-free Savory Breakfast Muffins, Savory Veggie Breakfast Bowls, Mini Frittata Egg Bites,
Oh and pro-tip, if you have a solid biscuit recipe you like, a nice grain-free bagel or your favorite gluten-free toast – use this sausage to make the heck out of an epic breakfast sammy! You won’t regret it.
- 1 lb ground pastured pork (you can also use chicken or turkey)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, more or less to taste, or leave out
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried sage or 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried ground fennel (or seeds)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ghee, butter, lard, coconut oil or avocado oil, for cooking
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and use hands to mix until just combined.
- Form the mixture into 8 equal-sized patties.
- If patties are having a hard time staying together, place on wax or parchment paper and into the freezer for 5-10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil or fat (about 1-2 tablespoons) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan, making sure they aren't crowding in the pan (cook in batches, as necessary), and cook 2-4 minutes per side, until browned, no longer pink inside and cooked through to a temperature of 165º F.
- Repeat with remaining patties, (adding more fat/oil as needed).
- You can also cook as ground sausage, rather than patties and cook like you're browning ground beef.
To make Whole30, leave out maple syrup
To make low FODMAP friendly, leave out garlic