DOLE® Fresh Vegetables is a sponsor of Tasty Yummies. DOLE® provided me with Organic Salad samples for the purpose of this post, as well as compensation for my time. All content, ideas, and words are my own.
You guys know how I feel about my daily greens and more importantly about the quality of all the foods that we eat in our household. Sourcing organic is of top priority to me so when I received word that DOLE® was expanding their organic product line to include new salad mixes, I was beyond excited to get into the kitchen and start creating with them.
It is an absolute given that at all times I have organic baby spinach and/or kale in the fridge. Whether it’s wilted down in my morning eggs, tossed into a blended smoothie or the base of an epic, seasonal salad I find these to be the most versatile veggies to always have on hand.
If I am being fully honest with you, I have been known to just save a fistful of baby spinach or baby kale into my mouth mid-day if I have been slacking on my greens consumption. Hey – you do what you gotta go sometimes.
The new DOLE® Organic Kale Salad Mix combines organic baby kale, baby spinach, red and green chard to provide a blended salad mix with complex, robust and tender flavor. It isn’t too overpowering, there’s nothing bitter in there and it’s delicate enough to withstand whatever toppings and salad vibes you take on.
This Kale Salad with Balsamic Roasted Beets, Horseradish Tahini Dressing and Spicy Maple Pepitas is a mouthful, but every bit of this salad is too good not to shine in the spotlight. Celebrating the end of the winter harvest with the start of the Spring, this hearty salad makes an epic side dish or if you prefer, just grill up your favorite protein and make it a complete meal.
I love how the balsamic roasted beets bring an earthy and tangy flavor, plus the deeply hued red beets compliment the little red flecks on the baby red chard. The horseradish tahini is creamy and rich, with a little heat and a lot of bold flavor. The spicy maple pipits are a finishing move of epic proportions. Crispy, sweet, salty and a little spicy they are better than any boxed crouton out there. Promise.
Kale Salad with Balsamic Roasted Beets, Horseradish Tahini Dressing and Spicy Maple Pepitas
- 1 5 oz package DOLE® Organic Kale Salad Mix: blend of organic baby kale, baby spinach
Balsamic Roasted Beets
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Horseradish Tahini Dressing:
- ¼ cup filtered water, plus more as needed
- ¾ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ¼ cup unsalted sesame tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, squeezed of excess liquid
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
[bSpicy Maple Pepitas:
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- a pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- Roast the beets: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lay a large piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Combine the beets, vinegar, coconut oil, and salt. Pour onto the foil. (Alternatively, you can use a greased baking dish with a lid).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the beets are tender (it depends on the size of your beets), tossing halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Make the Dressing: Add all of the ingredients to your high speed blender, process until smooth and creamy, adding more water as needed to get your desired consistency.
- Toast the Pepitas: Add the pepitas to a dry skillet/pan over medium-high heat, toast until lightly golden brown. Watch carefully. Once toasted add maple syrup, cayenne and a pinch of sea salt, reduce heat to low. Let cook just a minute or two, stirring, until the maple syrup reduces and becomes super sticky. Remove the pepitas from the pan to cool and harden a bit.
- Serve: Plate the DOLE® Organic Kale Salad Mix top with the Balsamic Roasted Beets, Spicy Maple Pepitas and the Horseradish Tahini Dressing drizzled over top.
Dole Fresh Vegetables is a sponsor of Tasty Yummies. Dole provided me with Organic Salad samples for the purpose of this post, as well as compensation for my time. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Tasty Yummies.