As if I could find a better pairing, two of my favorite foods come together in the perfect marriage, for this rich, silky, decadent treat that’s low carb, low in sugar, grain-free and vegan. The smooth fruity taste of Terra Delyssa’s organic extra virgin olive oil is the perfect compliment to super dark chocolate and in all it’s impressiveness this dessert comes together in no time.
Truth be told, I am not much of a baker. Mostly it comes from a lack of caring about most baked goods and sweets. I know you’ve heard this story before, in the nearly 8 years of Tasty Yummies. What I do love, admittedly daily, is a couple of squares of high quality super duper dark chocolate. It’s really just about all I need.
When we entertain, however, while I would personally be content to pull out a $10 bar of organic super dark chocolate to share with 8 of my closest friends, it isn’t the most elegant of choices and I think being a food blogger people tend to expect a bit more of me, unfortunately. haha. This is exactly where my love of grain-free dark chocolate tarts comes in. I have quite a few variations on my chocolate tarts, but this rendition may be most favorite yet. Perfect for entertaining, a breeze to throw together and a wonderful option for the upcoming holiday season.
With Terra Delyssa’s delicate organic extra virgin olive oil imparting and infusing it’s beautiful, almost fruity flavors in both the crunchy, nutty crust and the silky, smooth ganache filling – it’s a wonderful way to incorporate the benefits of the olive oil throughout, along with a unique flavor profile.
Of course, I personally always serve this tart with a generous sprinkle of flaked Maldon sea salt, smoked sea salt occasionally makes an appearance, too, when I’ve got it. If salty and sweet isn’t your thing, obviously feel free to simply leave it off.
If you are really looking for a little bit something more, a dollop of whipped coconut cream (or whipped heavy cream) would be absolutely delightful when serving.
My most favorite thing about this recipe, especially having diabetic friends and family members and generally just being mindful of sugar consumption for everyone, always, is that using a high quality pure maple syrup and 85% dark chocolate and serving into 10-12 generous-sized slices, I have been able to keep the sugar to just around 6-8 grams per a serving. That’s beyond incredible, for a decadent and rich sweet dessert, made without any alternative sweeteners!
Grain-free Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Tart
Grain-free Almond Flour Tart Shell
- 2 cups firmly packed finely ground blanched almond flour
- 6 tablespoons Terra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener*
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Filling
- 9-10 ounces high-quality organic dark chocolate, I recommend 70-85% dark
- ⅓ cupTerra Delyssa Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Make the Tart Shell: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Very lightly grease, with olive oil, a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- In a large bowl, add all of the crust ingredients and mix very well. The dough will be crumbly like sand and should come together when you squeeze in your hands. Add the crust mixture to the tart pan and press down firmly into the pan, evenly across the bottom and the sides. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and set. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. In the top of a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the chocolate. Once melted, whisk in the olive oil. Whisk really well to combine. The mixture will be fairly liquid at first. Give it a stir every few minutes or so, to discourage any separation, until the mixture has thickened into a thick, syrupy consistency. Pour evenly into the prepared and cooled tart shell.
- Transfer the tart to the refrigerator to let the filling set for at least 30 minutes before serving. Store leftovers well-wrapped in the refrigerator. Serve the tart at cool room temperature. Top with a little whipped coconut cream, if you'd like.
To read more about Terra Delyssa please check out their website and Facebook page. To get cooking with Terra Delyssa’s oils, visit the store locator to find a retailer near you or visit the Terra Delyssa online store to have it shipped directly to you.
This post and all recipe posts featuring Terra Delyssa Oils are brought to you in collaboration with Terra Delyssa Olive Oil and C.H.O. America. All content, ideas and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Tasty Yummies.