Despite the fact that the calendar says September is mere days away and even with the kids going back to school, somehow Southern California hasn’t quite gotten the memo. We are smack in the middle of a good old fashioned heat wave and it’s so hot I can barely think straight.
As I create recipes each week, I not only try to think about what is in season and what I have access to, but also what foods I feel like eating. What sounds good, what will satiate my cravings, quench my thirst and all that good stuff. Right now all that sounds good is cooling foods, salads, juices, smoothies and all the water.
I find drinks are often overlooked, not even cocktails and libations, simply just refreshing, thirst-quenching beverages. This refreshing drink was born on a super hot day from the beautiful local produce I had on hand. It’s vacation in a glass, aromatic and very subtle. If you prefer bubbles, leave out the water and top our drink with sparkling soda water at the end. If you are looking for a cocktail, try adding gin or a white tequila.
Cucumbers are both hydrating and very cooling to the body. Quite literally, this refreshing veggie will make it feels as if it’s dropped a few degrees. “Cool as a cucumber” – we’ve all heard that one. Plus, cucumbers are detoxifying, great for your skin, anti-inflammatory and are highly alkalizing. They are also very rich in vitamin C and caffeic acid, both compounds great for preventing water retention on these final dog days of summer.
This Cucumber Dill Refresher is ready in a flash and it’s a great alternative to iced tea or lemonade. Sip on it as you relish in these final days of summer. Try not to rush it and don’t wish away these final summer days, savor every last taste. Before you know it, it will be winter and you will be wishing for these hot summer days.
- 1 cup peeled and diced cucumber (I used Persian cucumber)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- ½ cup ice cold filtered water
- 1-2 cups ice
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 4 ounces fresh orange juice (lemon or lime would also be great)
- Add all of the ingredients to your high speed blender. Process until smooth. Adding more water or ice as necessary. Give it a taste and adjust your sweetener, as needed. Serve immediately.
- For a spirited version, try adding a shot of gin or a white tequila. For some bubbles, add a little soda water.