Grain-Free Orange, Almond & Dark Chocolate Biscotti – Gluten-free + Vegan

Grain-Free Orange, Almond & Dark Chocolate Biscotti - Gluten-free + Vegan

I wrote this recipe up back when we were still in Buffalo staying at my parents house but I never had the time to make them while we were there. Both of my parents and Mark are coffee-aholics. Man do they love their coffee. Me, I could take it or leave it these days. I probably drink 2-3 cups a month, at most. Most times it is part of a super early wake up call for an event or on a long road trip. I love the way coffee tastes, but I don’t always like how it makes me feel. I don’t like the caffeine jitters or the burny, acid bitterness of some cups of joe.

Grain-Free Orange, Almond & Dark Chocolate Biscotti - Gluten-free + Vegan

Mostly I like the smell of coffee and the culture surrounding it. Yeh, I know that’s weird. I love coffee cups and mugs, local coffee shops, french presses, pour over coffee, fancy organic fair trade beans, and yes, I even love cookies meant for dunking in coffee. That is exactly what I think of when I think of biscotti. That crispy, crunchiness is just begging to be dunked into coffee.

Grain-Free Orange, Almond & Dark Chocolate Biscotti - Gluten-free + Vegan

All the nights at my parents house when the three of them would fill up their mugs, add their splash of cream, grab a sweet of some kind and then come out to the living room to watch the evening news. I felt kinda left out. Sometimes I would have a cup (then have a terrible time getting to sleep that night), sometimes I would have some tea and other times I opted for another glass of wine! I should have made these cookies when I was staying there, they could have added dunking these yummy cookies to their evening ritual and I would have dunked mine into Mark’s hot cup of java.

I was inspired to combine orange and dark chocolate in these biscotti because my mom LOVES that flavor combo. So do I. Just the smell alone is so delicious. Looks like I’ll just have to make these for my parents when then come visit in June! (Which by the way, I cannot wait for) I originally wanted to make these with cocoa nibs, but was unable to find any at the stores locally, so I just went with dark chocolate chunks, I cannot wait to get my hands on some cocoa nibs and make these again!

Do you drink coffee? What is your favorite thing about coffee?

Grain-Free Orange, Almond & Dark Chocolate Biscotti - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Simply called food April 23, 2013 at 7:27 am

They look really good! I love the combination of chocolate and orange.

2 Nancy April 23, 2013 at 9:02 am

These look amazing! Definitely think they’d be good paired with black tea. Maybe chai. Awesome recipe!

3 tastyyummies April 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Ooh yes these would be delightful with chai! Great idea. Thanks Nancy.

4 Isadora April 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

I love this recipe. Thank you for letting people copy the recipe so they can make it later. I have been gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant for a long time. It was hard to find recipes or foods that were for people like me. I realize that there are more now than there used to be but baking was low on the list. It is nice to see that I can have a dessert with my tea and enjoy it without problems later. I look forward to making it.
Isadora

5 Reba - Not So Perfect Life April 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

I just found your blog! Looks like we are very similar in what we eat. I eat about 70% vegan but some meat and eggs. I’m excited to see your take on gluten free foods. I have always wanted to try biscotti’s!

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

Beth- these are gorgeous! I’m so obsessed with that ANthro mug. I adore all those alphabet mugs except…yep, the one with my initial on it. The G one is just hideous.
This recipe looks stellar though, seriously. Doing another round of paleo right now means they are definitely going to happen soon and most likely be consumed with coffee :)

7 Anna April 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I am SO excited to try these! Thanks for sharing!

8 paige April 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm

These sound SO GOOD. Cannot wait to try ‘em! thank you!

9 Ali @ Ali Eats Clean April 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I am so excited I found your blog! It sounds like we have similar eating habits— gluten free, mostly vegetarian! These look wonderful and I can’t wait to make them (hopefully this weekend).

10 Kate April 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm

YU-UM! These look amazing. I can’t wait to try them. These could work really well for my kids.

I love coffee. But sometimes I think it’s the culture around it and the memories it evokes for me that really seals the deal. I used to work for an artisan coffee roaster on Long Island (I’m Australian though) and have so many wonderful memories of the smell and the people!

11 Do April 23, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for posting this Beth, I love orange and chocolate flavors also. I used to drink around 3 cups of coffee/day but have cut down to one a day now but I will make tea out of Chaga that I find in the woods and have that maybe twice a day with almond milk. I might just try this recipe on the weekend. I love your Blog
Doris-Ann

12 Brittany April 23, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Orange and chocolate pair together so nicely! I have that same mug. :)

13 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

They really are the best together. I love that mug so much! It’s the best right?

14 Lorie Rowan April 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

I printed the recipe and will make them tomorrow. Yeah!
The coffee thing- part ritual part senses. Smelling the freshly ground beans w/the H2O boiling
and seeing the crema before placing the french press thingy on. That first sip! Also fond memories of having breakfast w/my family and my dad forever stirring his coffee w/spoon.
It is on my list of 20 things I love. All should have that type of list. Keeps me happy and smiling.

15 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Hope you like these Lorie.
So funny to read your list of all the reasons you love coffee. Definitely the ritual seems to be a huge part of it for most people. I know for my hubby that is one of the biggest things for him, getting up making his coffee is all one in the same. Thanks so much for sharing!

16 Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados April 26, 2013 at 5:36 am

Wow Beth, this looks ah-mazing! You’re a genius! The ingredients are perfect and they look so beautiful (and taste beautiful too I’m sure).
I feel the same way about coffee–I don’t really like the way it makes me feel, but I love the culture surrounding it. And the cute coffee mugs :)

17 tastyyummies April 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thanks so much Rachel. Glad to know I am not alone in love coffee culture but not necessarily the coffee itself ;)

18 Shae April 28, 2013 at 1:47 am

I made these today and they were amazing! The combo of chocolate + orange tastes SO good. I don’t know if you have the candy called Jaffas in the US, but they taste just like that. Thanks for the recipe :)

19 angie May 2, 2013 at 5:44 am

Just stumbled on your blog… I think I’ll stop by more often ;)

I myself am a coffee hound, I love everything about the culture. Somedays I sit at my desk at work and dream of quitting so I can go get certified as a pro Barista… I’ll remain a home enthusiast for now, I suppose.

Thanks for this recipe. I make biscotti every fall and winter for friends and family ( and myself), and recently I’ve made some changes in my eating habits, utilizing nutrition for all it’s worth! I have baked a lot in the traditional sense (even worked as a bread baker), but am new to baking gluten free and vegan – the thought of no eggs + no wheat flour sends my brain into confusion! This seems simple and kind

20 Elaine May 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Oh, my goodness. I made these this week and shared them with my boss during our Tuesday mid-morning coffee ritual (the best time of every day for me, but he only shares in it once a week). Somehow the two of us managed to eat the entire batch in about 15 minutes. He said it was the best biscotti he’d ever had. And he’s Italian and even pronounces “biscotti” in an impressive way.

I’m not sure if it’s my oven or what, but I think next time I’ll have to bake it a bit longer the first time. It was pretty raw when I cut it up, and kept pulling apart. Then I had to “toast” it longer and at a higher temperature than your directions say. It’s ok, though, because they obviously came out pretty well, even if a lot of them were in fragments.

Thanks for the recipe.

21 zosia June 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

hi. just wondering if the arrowroot is NECESSARY, as there is only 1 T?

thanks!

22 tastyyummies June 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I find the arrow root helps bind and thicken. I would say it is necessary as just the almond flour would produce a crumbly finished product. I cannot say for sure since I have not tried however. Since typical wheat flour has/is a starch and almond flour does not, it helps add back in some of those classic properties without using gums like xanthan or guar. Here are some alternatives to arrowroot: Tapioca starch, Potato Starch, Corn Starch or Glutinous Rice.

23 Katy @ All Sorts of Pretty July 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Have you heard about Crio Bru? It’s cocoa beans that you can brew like coffee so you get to enjoy the ritual of having a cup of coffee, but there’s no caffeine. Here’s a great post about it: http://www.ablogaboutlove.com/2013/04/the-best-chocolate-brew-healthiest-way.html

24 Adelaide August 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

These look delicious and I’m on board with your coffee sentiments as well. I love the smell, taste, routine wnd culture surrounding coffee, but most of the time I have a few sips and just switch back to tea. I have found that tea ( my favorite is decaf black lack French breakfast) pairs in a lovely way with biscotti. And wine after dinner with a crunchy cookie is lovely also;)

Just a few questions about your recipe. I want to adapt it to make date almond biscotti. Could I sub the oj for almond milk? Omit the zest and add chopped dates in lieu of the chocolate? Let me know if you believe theses substitutions would still work.

Thanks:)

25 tastyyummies August 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Adelaide, I am with you, I love tea. The smell of coffee is something that I love, but I just don’t enjoy drinking it the way I used to. I think if you sub OJ for the almond milk and the dates instead of chocolate, it should work just fine. I cannot say for sure, but I don’t see why not. Please let me know how it turns out if you do. I love hearing about fun substitutions like this.

26 adelaide August 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi! My almond milk and date substituions worked fabulously. Thanks for the great recipe:)

27 tastyyummies August 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Adelaide, so so glad to hear it. Thanks for checking back in!

28 Carrie September 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Made these yesterday and they are like CRACK! Going to try and make another batch but do so in with almond milk, almonds and vanilla bean and lavender. And maybe a lemon blueberry version with lemon juice/zest and blueberries…or blueberry juice, blueberries and chocolate chips!

29 Kim October 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’ve just printed the recipe and am going to make up a batch- we’re having a gourmet cake stall at our school fete- they never have gluten free or vegan options…these look awesome hope this fills a gap.
I also hope they taste as good as Carrie(previous post) thinks! LOL
Will let you know the feedback.
Look forward to trying some more of your recipes-they look scrumptious Beth!

30 tastyyummies November 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I hope you enjoy them. Thanks so much!

31 suzi December 9, 2013 at 7:45 am

i have a sort of technical inquiry. first, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR CREATIVE GENIUS YOU SHARE! now, if i use my almond pulp that i dehydrate after making milk every other day, in the place of the blanched almond flour, will the result be less than great? i have been using it in gluten free oatmeal cookies and it works great but when i see a recipe call for “blanched” almond flour, i wonder if i am in trouble if i dont follow. what do you think? perhaps i should just try it and see!

32 michele January 18, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I would love a vegan, GF, low-sugar biscotti… But I am not an almond flour fan — more fat than my system can manage (sorry for the TMI). I am alway curious about gf bakers choice of flour subs — do you use almond flour after trial and error, for the almond nutrition, or just because the best recipes you found for gf baked goods use almond flour (Elena should get a cut of all almond sales in this country, having popularized almond flour more than anyone!). I use almond and other nut flours for conventional baking (I am the only celiac in my family, but also the only baker so I still do alot of well-protected baking with flour) and they do work beautifully, just not for me. I am not a sweet eater, so I don’t miss baking for myself much — except I would love a good gf, vegan, processed sugar-free, low-fat muffin recipe — and a scone would be a bonus! And a vegan GF bagel that I could buy…