Baby Kale and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Pine Nuts (Gluten-free + Vegan)

Baby Kale and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Pine Nuts

Happy New Year Everyone!! Is everyone as excited to welcome 2013 as I am? We have a lot on schedule for this year and at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve it all felt very real! We are still in the middle of packing up our house for the big move to California. The moving truck comes on Friday and our house closes in just over a week and we have been working like crazy to wrap up all of the end of year loose ends with the business and to go through the house room by room to decide what is making the move, what can get donated and what can be sold. It has been an arduous few weeks with the holidays squished into the middle of it all, but it was a welcomed distraction during such a stressful time.

A few days after Christmas we had an emergency scare with our dog Seri, when she got into some gum with Xylitol in it. As you can imagine, this definitely aded to the stress. You can read a little about it here. I do plan to do a post here on Tasty Yummies about our experience, as well. I would like to share my story and get the word out about how dangerous and highly xylitol is for dogs, since the I feel that not enough dog owners know. I am so grateful for the other food bloggers that have mentioned it, otherwise I wouldn’t have known to act quickly. I consciously do not keep it in the house, but I didn’t know it was hidden in so many common things. I was unaware we even had it in the house. She is thankfully (and very luckily) OK now, but it was a very rough few days, my body actually broke out into a full on cold in the middle of it. I could feel I had been fighting it for a few days and I guess the stress of worrying about my baby just brought it on full force.

With our pooch being back home with us now and yesterday officially ending the holidays and making this move our only focus, the stress of it definitely hit me like a ton of bricks last night. I am not at all a person stricken with anxiety in the least, I consider myself to be mostly calm, but wow, is this move testing me on that. You always hear people say that a big move is one of the most stressful things you can ever go through. They aren’t kidding.

I have been trying to find as much time to cook as I can in this time, since like my yoga it is one of the most calming and soothing things to me. I made a huge pot of chicken pho when my cold was in it’s full force and it was so perfect! I also made a big feast on New Year’s Eve for hubby and I. Yesterday we had dinner with my family at my parents house and since I am now in full-on clean out the fridge and pantry mode, I decided to come up with a salad inspired by what is in season and in my fridge!

Everyone absolutely LOVED this salad, which made me so happy! It is full of beautiful vibrant colors and bright fresh flavors. If you can’t find baby kale, you could also use arugula, baby spinach, field greens, frisée, endive, etc.

I am starting to pack up my kitchen stuff today, so this may be the last recipe post you see for a while. We will be temporarily staying with my parents for a few weeks while we fly out to California to find a house and get everything in order. Hopefully I will have some time to cook for and with my parents in that time.

What are you most looking forward to in 2013?

Baby Kale and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Pine Nuts

1 Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa January 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Looks delicious Beth! I’m so sorry to hear about your pooch – that’s sooo scary!! Thank goodness she’s okay. I didn’t know that xylitol is dangerous for dogs, so thank you. I need to tell my parents because their dog always gets into things at home. Good luck with the move – very exciting. New adventures for the New Year!

2 Rachel @ Almonds & Avocados January 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Good luck with the move! It’s always frustrating when you’re down to the final, nit-picky details, but you’re almost done–so exciting!
This salad looks fabulous! I saw it on instagram and instantly started drooling :) I’ve been putting pomegranates on everything lately, but this has all of my favorite foods: kale, sweet potato, and pine nuts–yum!
Happy New Year!

3 Rciki January 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

What a stunning salad, Beth! Gorgeous. And I ADORE pomegranate in anything!

I have heard about xylitol and dogs but never knew anyone whose pup actually ingested some, or the results. So sorry that happened! When I did try xylitol once, I made sure to ONLY put it in chocolate-flavored things, so I’d never give it to the dogs by mistake (since I often share food w/ them, but I don’t even have to think about chocolate being poison to them–known that for a long time). I guess we’re lucky that our dogs will never eat anything we don’t expressly give them, so even if I left the bag lying around I wouldn’t have to worry they’d get into it. So scary! Makes you wonder why people would eat it. .. then again, I guess we do eat chocolate, right? ;-) Hope the new year brings all good things–no more xylitol, too! :)

4 Leanne @ healthful pursuit January 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hurrah!!! I must have missed the news. So great to hear that your house sold. That’s so fabulous. I’m so happy for you both :)

Very scary about the xylitol. Thank goodness we’ve never experienced it. A couple of close calls though. Glad to hear everything’s ok

5 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet January 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Beth,

This salad is stunning! I am definitely going to have to give it a try soon. So glad that Seri is ok and like I said on Facebook, thank you so much for sharing the facts about xylitiol with us! I was in the dark on that one.

There seemed to be a decent selection of properties for sale and rent in Long Beach when we were looking last week, I am so excited to be moving buddies! Since I have done this cross country move thing a few times now I can safely say that after this panic stricken state that you are in, trying to tie up all of the loose ends, you will find a moment of peace where you can breathe a big sigh of relief. For me that is usually followed by a surge of excitement and a good kind of anxious anticipation. I wish you all the best and can’t wait to hear all of the exciting news about your move!

6 Mia @ AZ Plumbing January 10, 2013 at 7:46 am

This salad is looking good having so much attracting colors. Just waiting for weekend to come as I am getting desperate to try it. :)

7 raechel @the rebel grrrl kitchen January 10, 2013 at 9:34 am

So happy to hear your pooch is okay! What a terrible scare!

Sounds like you have an exciting year ahead! If all goes accordingly, I too will be making a move in 2013, but I have to get a job first. Still waiting to hear back from a couple places! Eep!

Beautiful recipe, as always!

8 Brittani April 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi there! I just wanted to stop by and say I made this salad for Easter yesterday and it was a hit! I couldn’t find pomegranate seeds so I had to use dried cranberries, but the flavor was still SO good. Thanks for the recipe!