Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Gluten-free + Vegan

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars - Gluten-free + Vegan

So, I’m doing a little something different today, I’m posting this recipe from the road. I don’t mean just that I’m on the road away from home, but I am actually in the road, in the car. We are driving to Chicago and we are somewhere in Ohio right now, about 6 hours from our final destination. I made these granola bars for this trip and I had every intention of photographing them and writing up the recipe to share before we left. Of course I ran out of time and didn’t get time to set up a quick photo shoot with my nice camera, as usual. As I was packing these up for the drive, I thought rather than not sharing the recipe at all, I would just snap a few quick photos with my iPhone and make it work.

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars - Gluten-free + Vegan

They may not be the best photos, but you get the idea. These granola bars are full of goodies and lots of flavor. They aren’t the super crispy crunchy kind, but more soft and chewy, which I prefer. I added in mini chocolate chips, dried currants, sliced almonds and shredded coconut. Feel free to add in your favorite extras and make these your own. If you are using fresh pumpkin purée , which is what I did, make sure  you squeeze or drain any excess water from it, so you don’t end up with soggy bars.

if you are in Chicago this weekend, come see us at the Renegade Craft Fair Holiday Market on Saturday or Sunday!

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Linda Stoddard November 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oh. My. God. These. Look. Good!!! If my pumpkin that’s parked on the front porch hasn’t frozen yet I’m making these! If the pumpkin didn’t make it, the canned ones in the cupboard will! Thanks–happy and safe trip! xoLinda

2 tastyyummies November 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Linda! That’s actually why I made these in the first place, my remaining pumpkins were sitting in the cold and snow, begging to be turned into something tasty! Hope yo enjoy! Thanks for the well wishes trip is going grea so far… Almost there!

3 April November 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Thank you for posting these!!! We’re going on a major trip this Sunday (flying with a toddler in tow) and needed something easy, portable and healthy to keep us all happy! I’ll probably leave some for the neighbors, too :) Safe travels!

4 tastyyummies November 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Thanks April, I hope you like them and safe travels to you, as well!

5 Amanda December 2, 2012 at 9:23 am

Mmmm these were so good. Out of all of the many blogs I read, your recipes are the ones I end up actually trying most frequently, and I’m always so happy with the results!

6 Sarah @ Kids Heart Real Food December 17, 2012 at 6:50 pm

These are iPhone pictures? They are still so artistic and beautiful – well done :)

These look delish – I am definitely bookmarking them.

7 Ronta' March 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I have made two batches of these granola bars and they were incredibly awesome! I was on a cleanse and in dire need of something besides fruit to satiate my sweet tooth and these did the job. I was just wondering if you have some other varieties of granola bar recipes, as to sort of match the season and the produce available? Thanks!

8 Katie March 21, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I loooove these!! I put flax and chai seeds in… so versatile you can add whatever you want!