Joyful Almond Coconut Chocolate Bites – Vegan + Gluten-free (Refined Sugar-free Option)

Joyful Almond Coconut Chocolate Bites - Vegan + Gluten-free (Refined Sugar-free Option)

This month for my ongoing series with the Free People Blog, BLDG 25, in celebration of Halloween I am sharing a series of healthy sweet treats. I always feel like the sugary stuff haunts me this month with Halloween looming on the calendar, it seems everywhere I turn there is some sweet treat lurking in the darkness.

I really don’t find myself actually craving sweets very often, but boy, this month I do. There are halloween inspired sugary treats everywhere you turn and most all of them are terrible for you, loaded with refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup and other processed junk and fillers.

So, why not have your cake and eat it, too? Or candy, or fudge, or whatever! First up in the series, I reimagined a classic candy bar that I have always loved. The combination of coconut, chocolate and almonds is a favorite of mind. It’s a joy to eat, if you catch my drift.

These treats bear a spooky resemblance to the original, but without all the yuckiness that will haunt you later. See, all treats, no tricks! What more can you ask for to kick off Halloween month?

This recipe was originally shared on the Free People Blog.

1 Cara October 7, 2012 at 6:13 pm

My husband is not into coconut, so thankgoodness I wouldn’t have to share :)

2 Ashlae October 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I don’t crave sweets often, either – but chocolate + coconut + almonds are something I just cannot deny. Favorite candy combination EVER :)

3 ingrid October 8, 2012 at 5:52 am

Chocolate is a girls überbest friend. Maybe offer the people who will visit your house these lovely bites? Then for sure you will sell the house!

4 Sarah October 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes!!!! You just made my whole year!!! I always loved almond joys but since I’ve started eating clean I haven’t had one! I can’t wait to make these. Thank you thank you.

5 Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados October 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. You’re a genius!! I’ve always loved those joyful :) bars and never thought to make my own! Brilliant!
I’m with you–my cravings for treats go through the roof this time of year. It’s hard to even go to the grocery store without stopping in the candy aisle and ogling all of the goodies. My husband suggested we buy candy early, but I warned him that it would be gone by the time Halloween came :) Thank you for the recipe–you always inspire me!

6 tastyyummies October 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Rachel! They were always one of my favorites! I hear ya at the grocery store, really the candy is everywhere right now, it’s invading and taking over. Ahhh! :)
Thanks for your lovely words Rachel, means the world to me, really :)

7 Alissa N October 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

You are such a genius, I never thought to sweeten up my own chocolate before!! These look incredible!! :) Can’t wait to see what other goodies you have in store.

8 tastyyummies October 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Alissa! I much prefer to sweeten my own chocolate these days so I can go as light with the sweet as I want to. I like my chocolate dark and almost a little bitter, so I can actually taste all of the cocoa goodness!! :)

9 Raechel October 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Oh goodness, I envy your lack of sweet-cravings. I am the type that, unless I’m on a specific cleanse, pretty much need something sweet every night. I know, I know…my addiction is not very yogic! BUT, acceptance is part of yoga too, right? And that means honoring my body’s cravings in *healthier* ways. These treats will do exactly that! THANK YOU for your sweet culinary genius!

10 tastyyummies October 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Well I do have my moments, certain times of the month, ya know :) I crave salty much more than I crave sweet most of the time. Not really any better for me, either!
I agree the acceptance is definitely part of yoga and honestly, I would also say moderation. Everything in moderation! I try not to ever tell myself a firm “no” on anything across the board, (well besides gluten and a few other things), because you never know and as long as you don’t over-indulge sometimes you just gotta have something a little naughty :)

11 Janae @ Bring-Joy October 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Amazing! These look like Almond Joys except a million times better.

So pretty, pretty. Thanks Beth.

12 DawnV November 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Oh so exciting!! Thanks for the GF and SF option!! Can’t wait to try them.