Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce – Vegan + Gluten-free

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce - Vegan + Gluten-free

It is finally officially tomato season here and I couldn’t be happier. We have been getting lots of different tomatoes in our weekly CSA share from Porter Farms and they are so incredible that I have mostly just been eating them raw, on salads or otherwise. Though earlier this week I did make some delicious stuffed CSA veggies that turned out amazing. I stuffed tomatoes, green bell peppers, cubanelle peppers and zucchini. I stuffed them all with a delicious mixture made with some of our ground beef from Sojourner Farms, plus some black rice, crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil. It was a simple and totally perfect for the season dish!

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce - Vegan + Gluten-free

Each fall when tomato season is winding down, I buy at least 1 or 2 8-quart bushels of roma tomatoes at the farmers market so I can make tons of stuff for the winter and hold on to that yumminess as long as possible. I usually make some chili, tomato sauce and I always slow roast a ton of them to freeze them. This way I can have the delicious fresh from the farm tomato goodness, all through the winter. I knew we were coming up on that time of year again and I had savored the frozen tomatoes from last year so much so that I actually had a bag or two left in the freezer, so I decided to pull a bag out to make this delicious sauce. If you are unfamiliar on how to slow roast tomatoes, please see the note at the end of the recipe. It is so simple and it is a wonderful way to really enjoy their beautiful flavors and juices.

If you wish to make this sauce and don’t have any fresh (or frozen) roasted tomatoes, feel free to use canned whole roasted tomatoes. Those would work just as well.

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce - Vegan + Gluten-free

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce - Vegan + Gluten-free

This sauce is incredibly creamy and rich, you would never believe it is totally vegan, the creaminess from the soaked cashews is really unbelievable. I promise this will fool any dairy-lover who takes a bite. We have an abundance of zucchini and yellow squash from our CSA, so I also quickly sautéed some of slices of both of those and tossed that with the pasta as well. Such a nice compliment and it basically gave us one big well rounded meal in one!

Pasta with Creamy Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce - Vegan + Gluten-free

1 Jeanine August 16, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Oh I saw you instagram this – I was hoping it would become a post! I love this cashew creamy tomato idea… with the basil I bet it’s to die for.

2 tastyyummies August 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

I seriously would like to have a huge bowl of this pasta in the fridge at all times. That way I can just eat it whenever I am craving it :)

3 Jess August 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

That creamy pasta looks so comforting and tasty! I really need to jump on the soaked-cashew-turned-to-something-creamy bandwagon already. I love that you roast tomatoes and save them, I bet you feel excited to pull them out in the winter. I’ll have to try it sometime! Thanks for the recipe and the roasting instructions.

4 tastyyummies August 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

Thanks! And yes you most certainly do. Once you make a cashew cream, your mind will go wild with all the possibilities. I used up the last of my cashews on this sauce, I really should go buy more ASAP! You are also right about pulling those tomatoes out in the dead of winter, such a treat! Thanks for taking the time to comment.

5 ingrid August 17, 2012 at 5:42 am

What a great idea, i never tried to roast tomatoes and freeze them. The tomato season is booming on the other side of the ocean too! How long can they keep ok in the freezer? Thanks for the inspiration!

6 tastyyummies August 17, 2012 at 8:34 am

I would say somewhere around 6 to 8 months. Though the ones I used were probably more like 9 or 10 months and they were totally delicious still!

7 Kare @ Kitchen Treaty August 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

Okay, this seals it. I must try making a “cream” sauce with cashews. I can only imagine how tasty this is with those delicious roasted tomatoes. Thanks for reminding me to slow-roast a bunch before summer winds down!

8 Courtney August 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I’m trying to expand the little skills I currently have when it comes to cooking, and I can’t wait to try this! I’ve never soaked cashews before.. do we just let them sit in room temperature water overnight?

9 tastyyummies August 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

Courtney, I place them in the fridge when I soak them. That is a great question!