Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Mini-Tarts with Whipped Coconut Cream – Gluten-free + Vegan

Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Mini-Tarts with Whipped Coconut Cream - Gluten-free + Vegan

I am so elated over the outcome of this super fun, kickoff to summer-time recipe. It was one of those things I dreamt up (and loosely wrote up) while sitting at my computer working and when it finally came time to make it, I crossed my fingers and dove right in. I had to make a few subtle corrections from my original notes to make the tart shells work perfectly, but other than that, it all came together so perfectly. On the first batch, I didn’t use the paper muffin cup liners and the tart shells didn’t want to come out in one piece, even with greasing the pan, but add in the paper liners, and it was simple as can be!

This recipe is insanely simple to make, please don’t let the three-part recipe throw you off. Just remember to refrigerate your coconut milk the night before for the whipped “cream”. The dough for the tart shells takes just minutes to make, you need only one bowl and you can literally just use your hands to mix it, that’s what I do. It takes just a couple of minutes to get it evenly divided and pressed into the muffin cup and while the mini tart shells bake, you can cut up the strawberries and allow them to sit for a small bit in the balsamic/maple sugar mixture. Once they are done baking, you can chill the tart shells while you roast the strawberries, meanwhile you can whip up your coconut cream and when the strawberries are done, you can serve it all up. It can all be done in less than an hour, probably more like 45 minutes and it is so simple, you won’t believe it. If you want to make it even quicker and skip out on the heat from the oven, serve the strawberries fresh. With or without the balsamic vinegar. No matter which way you make it, this recipe will impress the pants off any one at a party, especially those that are gluten intolerant and vegan. They truly won’t believe that it is safe to eat. It is that good.

My favorite thing about this recipe is that although it is gluten-free and vegan, no one would never know it. Mark kept eating bite after bite telling me, that this was seriously one of the best things I had ever made. ‘Pastry shop grade’ – he even said. Quite the compliment. Beyond the shells being totally grain-free, and everything being refined sugar-free, it is hard to believe the fluffy, creamy whipped “cream” is dairy free. I honestly need to have a can of full-fat organic coconut milk on hand at all times, so I can always make some whipped “cream”. The other great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. It can go through the summer with you as different fruits come into season. I cannot wait to make it in the fall with some baked spiced apple slices. YUM!

I am happy to once again be posting over at Free People’s blog, BLDG 25 where this week they are celebrating all things ‘Americana’. When they asked me to share a recipe that went along with that trend, I kept thinking of all of the wonderful summertime picnics, BBQs and beach trips. I wanted something simple and tasty, but full of beautiful, bright summertime flavors! Although nothing says summertime in America better than ice cream, berry pies and strawberry shortcakes, if you are the gluten-free and/or vegan at the party, that doesn’t always leave much for you. So, I decided to marry the idea of a berry pie with strawberry shortcakes to create these adorable little mini-tarts!

This recipe was originally shared on Free People’s Blog, BLDG 25.

1 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 14, 2012 at 11:11 am

yum! those look so delicious! I love strawberries at this time of year:) beautiful little treats!

2 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free June 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

ohmygoodness! I can’t wait to see the recipe :D I love love love using coconut cream!

3 Linda Stoddard June 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I can. not. wait. to make this! I picked strawberries and wanted to make something special and here it is! coconut milk for ‘whipped cream’ is a great idea too. Thanks so much for posting this! Linda

4 Kalinda June 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Those are gorgeous Beth. Nice work with the mini-tart shells, they look great.

5 tastyyummies June 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Thanks so much Kalinda! Super appreciated :)

6 RecipeNewZ June 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I found this post though Pinterest. The photo was so beautiful that I just had to come here to read the recipe! Love it! And love your site :-) .

I would like to invite you to share this post (and your other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched in May. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

7 Tiyana June 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

love your recipes…and your tattoos! what does the one on your finger mean? is it in arabic?!?

8 tastyyummies June 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Tiyana! The tattoo on my finger is an Om symbol ॐ
Om is the most sacred sound in Hinduism and Buddhism. It is said to be the sound of the universe.

Here’s a little quote from Yoga Journal about the om symbol:

Somehow the ancient yogis knew what scientists today are telling us—that the entire universe is moving. Nothing is ever solid or still. Everything that exists pulsates, creating a rhythmic vibration that the ancient yogis acknowledged with the sound of Om. We may not always be aware of this sound in our daily lives, but we can hear it in the rustling of the autumn leaves, the waves on the shore, the inside of a seashell.

Chanting Om allows us to recognize our experience as a reflection of how the whole universe moves—the setting sun, the rising moon, the ebb and flow of the tides, the beating of our hearts. As we chant Om, it takes us for a ride on this universal movement, through our breath, our awareness, and our physical energy, and we begin to sense a bigger connection that is both uplifting and soothing.

9 Rachel June 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

You are an absolute genius!! These look amazing! What a great way to kick off the summer and put all those yummy strawberries in my fridge to good use–I’ll be making these tonight :)

10 lou August 23, 2012 at 11:17 am

yum! making these this weekend!

11 tastyyummies August 28, 2012 at 8:41 am

Awesome Lou. I hope you enjoyed them!

12 Little E's Kitchen May 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Yum!! These look delicious!! I have the ingredients ready to make almond crusted chicken with a strawberry balsamic sauce. Anything with strawberries and balsamic vinegar sounds good to me!! -Erin

13 Christa June 3, 2014 at 7:22 am

this dough is so delicious…i made it last night for a strawberry tart w/peaches…delish!

14 Stacy K July 1, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I have a challenge for you! How can I make the shells without any nut flours? I have a family member that’s anaphylactic for all tree nuts and peanuts! Suggestions welcomed because these look delish!

15 Rosanne July 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

I made these last night using raw sunflower seeds in place of the almond meal and it worked our really well. Just process raw seeds until you get a meal-like consistency. The filling and topping were so tasty!

16 Jamie Younker July 2, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Do you think pecan flour would work for these? They look absolutely incredible but I’m allergic to Almonds.

17 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

Hmm I am not sure I have never tried pecan flour but I am sure it could work. Hazelnut flour is also another option. For a totally nut-free option, you can try sunflower seed flour, as well. Hope that helps.

18 Kim Wilson August 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

These are so delicious, thanks for this wonderful recipe. I’ve had to make them four times already this summer.