Banana Pecan Waffles – Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

Banana Pecan Waffles - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

I am so so so excited about this recipe! I have been playing around with this recipe or some version of it for months. I made it once on a whim, first time I had ever tried and I didn’t measure too accurately and they came out perfectly. I have tried several times since to recreate it, each time without success. It has been a while since I tried, since I tend to get really frustrated when it’s just not working and I know it should. However, yesterday morning was my day! I went back to yoga first thing in the morning for an 8:30am vinyasa class, after a week off due to a slight injury and I couldn’t wait to get home to make these for breakfast. Fully expecting another crumbled, annoying mess, I didn’t really make a big deal about making these. But, alas, the stars aligned, I got my measurements on point and it all just worked! I love that.

Admittedly, one waffle, the first one, was sacrificed for the greater good of this recipe. I tried to open the waffle iron and take it out after just 3 minutes (which seems to usually be the sweet spot with my waffle iron) and it just wasn’t happening. The waffle stuck to either side of the iron and split into two halves when I opened it. That was when I realized I need to give it another minute or two. The remnants of that sacrificed waffle were still edible, so just know on your first time making these, you may lose the first one while learning that perfect time for your iron and this recipe.

Banana Pecan Waffles - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

I always have different gluten-free all-purpose flour blends on hand, whether pre-mixed or custom made with my own blends of flours and starches. This time I used Bob’s Red Mill since that is what I had on hand. It worked out perfectly. I cannot wait to try this again with one of my multi-grain blends, maybe something with teff, sorghum and/or buckwheat flours. I also can’t wait to try this with applesauce instead of banana for an apple cinnamon waffle.

These waffles are wonderfully fluffy with the perfect amount of golden browned crispiness to the outside. From what I have read about most waffle irons, that nice golden brown outside is achieved by using cooking oil instead of cooking spray to grease your iron. I used grapessed oil and I greased it right before I started and again in the middle of making these, after I made the first two. I decided to use some of the Pure Liquid Clear Stevia I received from NuNaturals, to lightly sweeten them. There is some natural sweetness that will come from the bananas, so if you want to skip a sweetener or use a little maple syrup or honey instead of stevia, that will work, too.

When serving, you can certainly drown these in your favorite local maple syrup and a pat of your favorite butter-alternative, or maybe some non-dairy whipped topping, (like whipped coconut milk). Or, you can just eat them as is, warm, topped with fresh bananas and chopped pecans. Feel free to use whatever your favorite nut is, or maybe try adding in some mini chocolate chips instead, or in addition to. This waffle would also be delicious sectioned into the little wedges and served warm, 1 or 2 of the wedges per person, topped with your favorite ice cream!

Banana Pecan Waffles - Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

1 Lisa Marie April 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

That is one tasty looking waffle! I don’t currently have a waffle iron, but you better believe I’m making these the moment I get one. Nom!

2 tastyyummies April 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Lisa – I didn’t have a waffle iron until this past Christmas. Never thought I wanted or needed one. Then I got one and OMG – it’s a pretty fun and amazing kitchen tool.

3 Scott January 18, 2014 at 12:27 pm

What brand waffle iron did you get?
I’m looking to buy one?

4 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 16, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yum…looks so tasty! And they came out perfectly!

I’ve been semi-newish to yoga lately (have gone a couple time before, but not really at a set time), but I found a new yoga place that has been wonderful and went to the power yoga a couple weeks ago. Amazing! I’m very excited about it. I’ve been going about once a week now, and next month when my schedule frees up more, I’ll plan on going twice a week. very excited!

5 tastyyummies April 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Alex, I am pretty excited about these babies! As far as yoga goes, that is how I started out a few years ago. After I took an intro class, I would go here and there, once or twice a week. Trying to figure out what classes and teachers I liked. Then it increased to a handful of times a week, and now, if I don’t get in at least 30 minutes, if not more like 90 minutes of yoga a day, I just don’t feel complete. Yoga is pretty amazing that way though, it is an ever changing and evolving practice. I love that about it. Plus, I love even it is just a few seconds of downward dog or a brief headstand, it is something and it helps my mood tremendously. Enjoy your yoga and cherish it, I know I do :)

6 Cara April 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

Pardon me but all I am going to be able to sputter out is: Oh. My.

7 tastyyummies April 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

My thoughts exactly! Well, first it was “F*CK%NG FINALLY!”, then “Oh. My.” and “MMMMM!”

8 Adrienne @ Whole New Mom April 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for linking up to Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Hope to see you again tomorrow.

9 Emma April 29, 2012 at 8:01 pm

My brother is super picky when he eats so I was so glad when he said that the Banana Pecan Waffles were the best waffles that he’s ever eaten- ever! In his entire life! I’m still amazed… They were just so darn fluffy and tasty. Thank you millions for your post!

10 Allie February 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

THESE ARE PERFECT, like omg. I’ve never had a better waffle, vegan/gluten free or not. Followed the recipe to a T and they turned out just like the pictures. Thank you!!!

11 Monica March 27, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for this recipe. When my 3 and 1 year old were diagnosed with gluten, dairy and egg allergies I was so overwhelmed with how to feed them foods that were healthy and tasty. These waffles are better than any other waffle I’ve ever had. So far, our new diet has been filled with more time in the kitchen, but its worth all the great healthy and much better tasting food. I will be using these waffles for future “special” breakfast days for sure! I gotta say, my first waffle came out deformed, and I thought “not another failure please!”. I had to add another 1/2 cup of flour to the batter and cook the waffles a little longer than I would normally, I sprayed a little extra coconut oil and was careful when taking the waffle off the waffle iron. The rest turned out perfect! :) . Thanks again for this fabulous recipe.

12 tastyyummies March 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks for your comment Monica. I am so happy to hear you all like them. I find waffle batter to be a bit finicky and it seems to vary a bit from one waffle machine to the next on what works. Glad to hear you got it back on track by adding a little. Thanks again so much!

13 Carol May 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hi,

Would this recipe work to make pancakes? I’d love a waffle iron, but my teeny kitchen has no room for another appliance.

14 Lady Adelaida May 26, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi, can I use olive oil instead of coconut oil?

15 Kelsey December 29, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I would not recommend olive oil, because it has a strong flavor. If you are looking to substitute the coconut oil you can try avocado or palm oil.

16 Kelsey December 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Finding GF/DF options are difficult, but this is absolutely delicious. The taste and texture satisfy all of my waffle cravings. I recommend adding an additional 1/2 cup of almond milk, because in my experience the batter has been a touch too thick as written.

17 tastyyummies January 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Kelsey. Strange, I have made this many times and never had an issue with it being too thick, but it’s good to know it still works with added almond milk. Thanks for the comment and feedback.