Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables – Gluten-free + Vegan

Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables - Gluten-free + Vegan

Have you ever made a dish or a recipe for the first time and upon the very first bite, immediately wondered why you haven’t been making it for years? That’s what happened when I made socca for the first time! I had seen recipes here and there online and always thought in the back of my mind “I really need to make that”. I finally did yesterday for lunch and it is official, on the first bite – I was OBSESSED.

Socca, also known as farinata or cecina, is a sort of thin, unleavened pancake or crêpe of chickpea flour. Served hot and crispy, this chickpea pancake is a quintessential street food found in Nice, France. Many times it is browned or even blackened around the edges, and it has an almost custard like, tender inside. From what I have read, traditionally it is made in a cast iron pan over hot coals or a fire, but it can certainly be made at home in a hot oven, either in a cast iron pan, cake pans or a pizza pan.

Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables - Gluten-free + Vegan

Most recipes I came across called for only about a cup of chickpea flour to make 1 big socca in a larger cast iron skillet or two smaller (about 7-inches each). Since I only have a smaller cast iron skillet and I was afraid I would ruin this on my first try, I decided to increase the ingredients to make it work in two 9-inch cake pans. Plus, I wanted to have two soccas and I also wanted them to be a bit thicker to hold up to the roasted veggies. It worked perfectly. If you have smaller cake pans or want to make one large one, or you want two and you want them a bit thinner, just go with 1 cup of chickpea flour and about 1 1/4 cups of water and maybe just 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Besides looking incredibly delicious, what really intrigued me about all of the socca recipes I found, were that almost all of them were naturally gluten-free, since the only flour used is chickpea (or garbanzo bean) flour. I happened to have Bob’s Red Mill’s blend of Garbanzo and Fava Bean flours on hand, so I decided to go with that. It worked perfectly, but obviously if you have traditional chickpea (or garbanzo bean) flour that will work, as well. I plan to make this again and again, now that I know how easy it is to make, so there will be plenty of times to use just chickpea flour.

Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables - Gluten-free + Vegan

The nice thing about socca is you can simply pop it out of the pan, cut it into wedges and eat it as is or you can play with different toppings and/or ingredients to include in the batter. Cut up into bite-sized pieces it is a great appetizer or snack for a handful of people, or you can top it with lots of fun ingredients and serve it flatbread or pizza style for a meal, kinda like this. I bet you could even opt for sweet ingredients like a little coconut sugar, some cinnamon and a little vanilla and make it a tasty dessert treat or brunch side. So versatile. I am sure traditionalists prefer to not add things like fresh herbs and olives, but I just couldn’t help myself.

This batter comes together very quickly, but you should allow it to rest a few hours before using, at the minimum 30-minutes. You can even make the batter ahead of time and cover it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Socca is meant to be thin and rustic, so don’t stress if yours breaks apart as you flip it out or try to cut it up, just eat it with your hands and enjoy every bit of it.

Kalamata Olive and Herb Socca with Roasted Vegetables - Gluten-free + Vegan My adorable little lurker, Seri, trying to sneak a sniff of the warm socca!

1 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love socca! I’ll have to try it with olives. I’ve made a socca “pizza” once with pesto, grilled veggies, and chicken sausages

2 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

Mmm socca pizza sounds incredible Alex. I feel like I have been missing out on life, only trying a socca for the first time last week! So much living and eating to do :)

3 Simone April 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Same here, I am always intrigued but have never tried it, now I have to!
Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog! I nominated you today for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check out my post for the details. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas! http://wp.me/p1SLLp-w4

4 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

You simply must try it, Simone. It’s so amazing and so simple.
Thanks for the mention on your blog too. Much appreciated!

5 erin April 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

Beautiful! I’ll have to try this recipe…love that you make them in cake pans too.
~e

6 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

Thanks Erin. I hope you love socca as much as I do :)

7 Amy April 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm

You always have such great recipes! I can’t wait to make this with fresh asparagus and the first morel mushrooms. Yum!

8 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks Amy. You’ll have to let me know what you think when you do.

9 April April 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I’ve been seeing this recipe around a lot too and have wanted to try t, you inspired me! Made it tonight ….put rosemary in the batter and topped with mushrooms, roasted red peppers and leeks . Sooooo good, thanks for posting!! You’re right it’s something that will now be a staple.

10 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

Yeh I have seen so many different variations, with different topping and herbs, etc. that I finally just went for it. Man, I wish I had done so sooner, SO GOOD! Glad you liked it too, April.

11 Johanna April 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Thank you for the recipe! That was delicious. Kids ate it too.

12 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

You are so welcome Johanna. So glad to hear even the kids liked it. SCORE!

13 Narf7 April 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I am having a SERIOUS Homer Simpson moment here! I am drooling on the keyboard. This looks like some serious food for classy assed vegans right here and I will be cooking this recipe this week. Cheers for an amazing recipe and for the photo’s to back it up.

14 Narf7 April 14, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Love Seri by the way…if it was our lurker (Earl) he would be right up there on the table giving it a bit of a taste test…still to teach him that the table is off limits!…sigh…

15 tastyyummies April 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hahaha don’t short circuit your keyboard with drool, Narf! By the way, this has to be one of the best comments on my blog, EVER – “This looks like some serious food for classy assed vegans right here” So hysterical!
And yeh, Seri is by my side the entire time, every time that I cook. She knows better than to take anything, but she sure eyes it all up, with great intensity!

16 Janelle (Gluten Freely Frugal) April 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks so much for sharing on Allergy-Free Wednesday. Hope you’ll join us again this week with another great recipe!

17 Amber April 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hi There Beth,

You have my mouth watering with this recipe! I have a slight addiction to roasting – I love the convenience and the flavor. Simple and beautiful recipe here (adorable puppy too)! :-)

Be Well,
–Amber

18 Amber April 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hi There Beth,

I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/04/allergy-friendly-wednesdays-week-14.html

Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

Be Well,
–Amber

19 Cat September 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Could you tell me how to pronounce “socca”? It sure looks pretty good… the hardest part will be deciding what toppings to use the first time! Looking forward to trying it this week!

20 barb December 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

Can I make it with just chickpeas mashed? I like to soak my beans to get rid of all the phytic acids and gas making critters, and I don’t know if chickpea flour is made with pre soaked beans or not. So, I’d like to make my own. Is it possible to just use the beans?

21 tastyyummies December 31, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Ya know Barb, I am not sure, I have never tried that before. If you do, let me know.

22 Dena April 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Do you have to use chick pea flour? I tried to find some at my grocery store yesterday, but the closest bean flour I could find was black bean? Would regular flour work too? I am so excited to make this!!

23 tastyyummies April 18, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Chickpea flour is definitely what gives the socca it’s texture and flavor. It would definitely not be the same with regular flour. I have used chickpea / fava bean flour but never a bean flour alone that wasn’t chickpea. All I can say is try it with the black bean and see what happens.

24 Dena April 20, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I am happy to report that this tasted so so so good with the black bean flour. I omited the olives and the herbs, and I roasted mushrooms, asparagus, and broccoli. My daughter absolutely loved it and she does not like beans! I will be making this frequently!

25 Shannon October 9, 2013 at 9:39 am

YUM.

I just made this for lunch. I added fresh dill, along with basil, from my garden.
After cooking, I topped this socca with caramelized onion, and goat cheese.

So. Good.

Thank you!

26 Audrey Snowe October 29, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I heard about Socca for the first time via this recipe — AMAZING stuff :) Made it so many times now and it’s quickly become a favorite around here. Love it with caramelized onions on top, roasted veggies, or as a makeshift pizza base.

{P.S. Seri is a cutie!}

27 tastyyummies October 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

So happy you like this recipe Audrey!! It definitely is the perfect pizza base! Thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment. Seri says thanks too ;)

28 Christine |Taste of Divine March 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I have never even heard of socca, but it sure does look good! I will have to go get some chickpea flour and try this! I love recipes that are easy to adapt based on what you want to do with them, and this seems like a great one.

If I want to use it as a pizza crust, do you think I should fully bake it before putting on the toppings? Add the toppings before broiling?

Pinning now for later!