Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free Chocolate Donuts

Gluten-Free + Diary-Free Chocolate Donuts

Gluten-Free + Diary-Free Chocolate Donuts

This past weekend was a busy one for us, we had our first-ever Pop-Up shop at Modern Nostalgia, a women’s boutique here in Buffalo. It went really well, it was a ton of fun and we were very happy with how it all came together. However, after working from home for the last 10 or so months, I forgot how exhausting retail can be, talking with people all day, being on your feet, etc.

Photos from the Hero Design Studio Pop-Up Shop – more here.

Since our pop-up shop ran from Thursday night until Saturday night, it was three days that we were away from our computers and our client work and three days I was away from the kitchen. That’s a lot for me when I am in town and not on the road somewhere. So, Friday morning when we woke up, I decided to whip up another batch of these donuts that I had made once before, and both Mark and I loved. The first time I made them they came out delicious, but I didn’t realize that you are supposed to only fill the slots in your donut pan about 3/4 of the way full, so they were more like muffins with holes through the middle. They batter rose so much it just closed off the hole on top. I was a little bummed out, but they were so delicious we happily gobbled them up, knowing that I would just have to make them again really soon. Darn!

Gluten-Free + Diary-Free Chocolate Donuts

The first time I made these donuts I simply melted about 1/3 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips in the microwave in a shallow bowl and when the donuts were cooled I just swirled them around in it and that was it. The second time I made these (the ones in the photos) I tried to get fancy and make a chocolate glaze with cocoa powder, honey and coconut oil. It turned out OK but it just didn’t have a strong enough chocolate flavor, it tasted more like honey, so I didn’t even bother with sharing the measurements because I think that going with straight melted chocolate is much better.

You could also come up with your own chocolate glaze or a peanut butter glaze, you could add little mini chocolate chips to the batter or sprinkle them on top of the glaze before it sets. Same with cocoa nibs or peanuts, sprinkles, etc. Have fun. I kept it simple this time, but now that I have this donut pan, you can be sure you will be seeing lots more fun donut recipes on Tasty Yummies.

Gluten-Free + Diary-Free Chocolate Donuts

Gluten-Free Wednesdays

1 Christine February 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

Do you think I could use egg replacer in this recipe?

2 tastyyummies February 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hey Christine, I don’t see why you couldn’t but I haven’t attempted myself yet. If you do try it, please report back, I’d love to hear how it goes. Thanks so much.

3 Megan @ The Detoxinista February 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh my, these donuts look amazing!! Now I need to get my hands on a donut pan ASAP.

4 tastyyummies February 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Megan! Yes, you definitely do. I had wanted a donut pan forever and finally grabbed one a couple of weeks ago. It is such a fun thing to have! I can’t wait to play with more recipes!

5 gluten free gift February 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Remarkably healthy for “donuts” – I too am thinking that i need to get a donut pan!! thanks for a great post!

6 tastyyummies February 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Thanks! You definitely need to get one, such a fun addition to a kitchen!

7 Nancy @Real Food Allergy Free February 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

Wow! These look amazing! I hope you are planning to share these at allergy-free Wednesday! http://www.realfoodallergyfree.com/category/allergy-free-wednesdays/

8 tastyyummies February 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Nancy! I definitely plan to post these this upcoming week! Thanks for the reminder :)

9 Izabela (yoginiselfportrayal.wordpress.com) February 25, 2012 at 6:31 am

Hi Beth, I am new to your blog. But already I want to make those. They look yummy. Thanks;)

10 tastyyummies February 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hi Izabela! Welcome, thanks so much for stopping by :) I think you’ll love these donuts if you make them, I ‘d like to make them every weekend, myself. Let me know what you think if you do!

11 Tessa@The Domestic Diva February 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm

yum! I love the flours…and these look so tasty! Thanks for sharing with us on AFW….I have three gf vegan donuts on my blog if you want to play around with recipes, and I also have a tip on how to form w/out donut pans, and several glazes/frosting options. welcome to donut world my family is happily on the bandwagon!

12 Michelle @ The G-Free Wifey February 29, 2012 at 1:51 am

wow these look great! And i have all the ingredients on hand! this week is going to be full of gf donuts yay :) thanks!