Butternut Squash & Chickpea Coconut Curry (Crock Pot Recipe)

Butternut Squash & Chickpea Coconut Curry (Crock Pot Recipe)

I absolutely adore my slow cooker. It is so perfect for those days where you kinda feel like cooking, but you don’t really have the time or desire to stand around stir this pot so it doesn’t stick, toss that thing in this dressing, cut up this and that. I always love eating at home and cooking my own meals, but sometimes after a long day of work, I just don’t have the energy to head to the kitchen and start on another 1-2 hour adventure. Though it hardly feels like work, sometimes it’s just hard to muster up the energy after a long and busy day. With a crock pot there is no preheating, no keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t over cook, no stirring. It’s just simple, easy home-cooking. When you are ready to eat, just head to the kitchen and serve yourself. I always tell Mark that my crock pot is the closest I will ever come to having a personal chef, it really feels like that.

This recipe is exceptionally easy, just toss all (well, almost all) of the ingredients in to your crock pot in the morning and check back later. I decided to keep out the peas until the end and wished I had done the same with the spinach, so I altered the recipe to reflect that. That’s it. You could certainly fuss with sautéing the onions and garlic ahead of time if you wish, but I really don’t see why you should bother. I tossed it all in and it was ready to go 6 hours later. I had some beautiful spinach and peas from the market so I decided to toss those in for some extra greeny goodness and that was our meal.

I truly think this was the best curry I have made yet. I personally have a wonderful yellow curry powder that I love, though I know many people swear by making your own mix, toasting the spices yourself, etc. I have yet to try that as I really love the powder I buy. If you prefer to take that route, please do. Beyond being extremely easy to make, this curry is loaded with flavor and is so satisfying. I served it over a small serving of brown basmati rice and topped it with fresh cilantro and a bit of unsweetened shredded coconut. The perfect cleanse-friendly, fall meal.

Butternut Squash & Chickpea Coconut Curry (Crock Pot Recipe)
serves 8

2 1/2 cups diced butternut squash
1 1/2 cups dried organic chick peas
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can 13.5 ounce organic coconut milk (you can use light here, I didn’t)
1 bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped (you could also use kale here)
1 1/2 cups freshly shelled peas (you can use frozen here, if you wish)
1-2 large tomatoes, diced
3 cups vegetable broth or water
3 tablespoons yellow curry powder (you can use your own blend of spices here, I just happen to have a premixed curry powder from a local indian grocery store that I love)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (save some for serving)

Rinse and sort through the dry chickpeas. Cut the skin off the squash, remove seeds and cut into 1 inch square cubes. Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker besides the peas and spinach. Cook on high for 6 hours. About 20-30 minutes before serving add in the fresh peas and spinach, and give it a stir. If your sauce seems to be a bit too thin or watery when it is done cooking, you could make a quick mix of cornstarch and hot water and pour a tablespoon or two of the mixture into the crock pot, allow it to simmer a bit longer. This will thicken it right up.

Serve over brown basmati or jasmine rice topped with fresh cilantro, mint or basil and maybe even some shredded coconut.

1 Ali October 13, 2011 at 10:33 am

simply mouth watering. The ic got me craving a lot. I think using butternut and coconut milk was such a delightful idea… really made the dish unique. So what can I serve this with? great photo

2 Eva@ kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com October 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm

A lovely contrasts of textures and flavours. The creaminess of the coconut milk and the tang of the curry. Very tasty recipe.

3 Andrea Deal March 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hi Beth!
I just popped over to you blog today for the first time after finding this recipe on Pinterest. And now there are so many great looking recipes here, I hardly know where to start! So glad I found you. I’ll be making a bunch of your healthy recipes for sure!
Warm wishes!

4 Adriana March 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I am a chickpea + coconut addict and this looks insanely delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks you for sharing this recipe.

5 Diana November 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

I just made it ….and OMG…..so YUMMY :)
Thanks so much Beth…I am sooooooooo sharing this one!

6 tastyyummies November 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm

So glad you enjoy it Diana!

7 Adriana March 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

WOW!!! Absolutely delicious. I had it for lunch and dinner with parathas and it was soooo good. I loved the combination of sweet and spicy. Thank you Beth! You rock:)

8 Patrick Frost April 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I am printing this and using it as soon as I can!

9 Jillian May 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

This curry is amazing! I have made it twice now, and both the my partner and I cannot get enough of it. Already planning my next batch – going to add mushrooms and red pepper…

10 Kelly August 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I made this a few nights ago and EVERYONE loved it. My only addition (because I thought it lacked a tough of acidity) was the juice of a whole lemon after it was cooked. After that…perfection. Thanks for sharing!

11 tastyyummies August 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

Glad you liked it Kelly.

12 Stephanie September 26, 2012 at 5:34 am

Hey,

I have soaked my chickpeas overnight so I was just wondering is the cooking time (6 hours on high) still the same if the chickpeas are soaked??

Thank you :) !

13 Esther January 9, 2013 at 6:47 am

I made this recipe yesterday and my family really enjoyed it! I don’t like spicy food so I used only 1 tbsp of yellow curry powder. I wasn’t even sure if yellow curry powder is supposed to be spicy but I chickened out and played it safe. Is it spicy?

14 Danielle Valdes January 31, 2013 at 10:09 am

Have to say this recipe is absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!!!
I’ve added my own ingredients at times, and each time
I make it, it tastes a little different, but it always tastes amazing!
Thanks for posting :) this is my “go to” crock pot recipe. In fact,
it’s cooking as I type….

15 Josephine August 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

What is the curry powder that you use that you like so much? Please share brand name

16 Amanda September 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Would it be possible to make this with the slow cooker on low to buy more time and if so–how low?

17 tastyyummies September 16, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It definitely would work, but I cannot say how long. I would think you could go as low as you would want, it could just take more like 8 to 10 hours. Sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer.

18 Brandy October 7, 2013 at 5:38 am

I discovered your blog yesterday and made this last night. I have no words for how good it is! I’ll certainly be perusing your recipes and this one will be in regular rotation at my house for sure. Thanks for such a great recipe!

19 Nina October 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

I can’t wait to try this, but my husband frowns on anything without meat. Wondering if I should add chicken or beef? In the pot, or cook separate? Thoughts?
PS- are you in Long Beach, CA? I’m in Bixby Knolls. We started gluten/dairy/sugar/corn/soy free in June & I just found your blog. Can’t wait to try some of your recipes!
Thanks :)

20 tastyyummies November 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hey Nina sorry I meant to reply to this and never did! You could certainly add chicken or beef. The way you cook it would depend on the cut of meat. Larger cuts I would suggest searing quickly to crust the outside, smaller pieces, you can just add in raw. I will be honest, I don’t cook a lot of meat, so I don’t know if I am the best person to suggest how to cook it in the crock pot.

Yes, we are in Long Beach, in the Belmont Heights area! So glad you found me too! Stay in touch! xo Beth

21 Christine October 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Hello
I was wondering if you could use can chickpeas instead.
Thanks

22 tastyyummies October 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm

You sure can, just don’t put them in until towards the end of cooking, obviously. Or they will be mush ;)

23 Gita October 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm

This looks delicious – I’m going to make it tonight :) Do you think there is much of a difference in taste in using veg. broth vs water? Also, I have some garam masala my parents gave me – do you think 3 T of this will be good in the recipe or too overpowering?

24 tastyyummies October 23, 2013 at 1:08 pm

There is definitely more taste with the vegetable broth but it is still very good with the water. I am not sure that the garam masala makes sense if you are adding the curry powder. You might want to choose one or the other. Or just add a very small amount to the curry recipe, as it is. Hope that helps.

25 deena October 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

can you please tell me what kind of crock pot you use. i have tried different ones and they all tend to get too hot and overcook.

26 Tina November 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I had the same problem with mine. All the squash pieces disappeared into the sauce. Still very delicious though!

27 Diana November 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm

OMG…OMG…. I CAN EAT THIS EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH BEV :)

28 Sarah November 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

My favorite homemade chana masala!!!! Who needs ghee to make curries tasty? We’ve been to India and believe me, this comes very, very close to what they make over there, only with less fat . Thank you so much for sharing this! As a side note for everyone, we used water and left out the tomatoes (I don’t like them) and it still was very good. We will add this to our menu to make often. Thanks again.

29 kate November 12, 2013 at 4:47 am

It curdled! Twice. I tried it first, and when it didn’t work I assumed it was me. A few days later my friend tried it and was going to have me over for dinner to try it, but it curdled for her too! We bought separate groceries, so I can’t blame a bad batch of ingredients. So frustrating. I followed the recipe exactly! Why would this happen?!?!

30 tastyyummies November 12, 2013 at 7:36 am

Curdled? As in the way that milk curdles? I have NEVER heard of that happening and as you can see many people have made this recipe and swear by it. I am so sorry that happened, but I am not sure I can offer much advice as that has never happened to me with this recipe or any others like it. Did you use canned coconut milk? Were there fat solids in it when you added it in? Did you whisk it or stir or just dump it in? Did you add any corn starch or thickeners? If so, when did you add that in? How did you add it in? Let me know and maybe all that can give me a bit more insight into what happened. Thanks.

31 J November 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I don’t have a slow cooker and would love to make this in bulk for a dinner fundraiser. Is it possible to make this in a massive pot?

32 Karen Hyams November 26, 2013 at 10:56 am

I’m making this tomorrow night, which will make the day-before-thanksgiving prep feel less like a burden. Thanks!

One comment – if you are ever tempted to use ‘lite’ coconut milk, read the label. You’ll put the can right back on the shelf.

33 Cindy December 7, 2013 at 10:06 pm

This was so delicious. Since I needed to whip up something quick, I used canned chickpeas and my pressure cooker. It worked out great – full of flavor. I served it with Trader Joe’s brown rice medley and salad.

34 Theresa December 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m so excited that I found this recipe! I just got a crock-pot and this is the very first recipe I’m ever trying!! I decided to add 1/2 inch of fresh/peeled ginger and an entire jalapeño (seeds removed). I minced that in my food processor along with the garlic. I love spicy food, so I’m curious to see what happens! I have it all in to cook overnight, so I’ll know more in the morning :) Thank you for the recipe!

35 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Hey Theresa, those sound like great additions. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

36 Jan December 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

Ohhh, I waited and waited and when it was cooked, it curdled so I put some more dhal powder in to make it more tasty as it just tasted bland, it smelled lovely while cooking, I am not sure what it is that is wrong, it does not look like the picture at all, very watery actually, can anyone help plse, I did follow every little detail, but does coconut work with adding water/stock? I would love it to turn out perfect and yummy like everyone elses….any tips on curry powder would be a great help..

37 tastyyummies December 23, 2013 at 6:56 am

Jan, did you use cornstarch or anther starch to thicken? If it was watery, that will help. Just add about 1 tablespoon of starch to some water, whisk it together until smooth and not clumpy, then add to the mixture and allow it to simmer a bit longer. There is absolutely no reason why coconut milk should curdle, I have made this and other recipes with coconut milk, dozens of times and never had curdling happen. If it is bland, you may want to consider adding more salt. Hope all of that helps.

38 Heather December 27, 2013 at 9:39 am

Am wanting to try this tonight but want to make sure I don’t have to soak or quick soap the chickpeas. They will get tender if I put them in the crock pot dried?

39 tastyyummies January 3, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Heather, I dont usually soak them before I make this and they get plenty tender, but you certainly can if you would like to.

40 Libby December 30, 2013 at 8:36 am

This recipe sounds delicious! Just curious, what size slow cooker do you use? I just got a 4qt, and am wondering if I should exchange it. I will probably only use it for my family of four. Thanks!

41 Claire January 3, 2014 at 2:26 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I bought myself a slow cooker just before Christmas and got it out for the first time yesterday. The whole family loved this curry, easily as good as a UK takeaway curry and I can’t believe how easy it was to make – hubby even said he won’t be buying one again! Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes :)

42 Emily January 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Hi Beth. Just wanted to check to see what size can of coconut milk to use? The recipe sounds delicious but I’m new to crock pots so I am worried I am going to mess is up. So I wanted to double check to increase the odds I’ll get it right. Thanks!
Emily

43 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Hey Emily I am sorry it has been a crazy month and I am so behind on comments. It is a a 13.5 ounce can, I believe. Hope that helps and I hope you enjoy this if you make it. It’s a pretty fool-proof recipe, so I say just dive right in, you can’t mess it up!

44 Emily April 26, 2014 at 7:33 am

Thanks Beth! This recipe is my new favorite – I’ve made it twice already. Absolutely delicious both times! I’ve been testing out a bunch of crockpot recipes with my new crockpot. It makes so much food so I am always a little wary it won’t turn out or we won’t like it. But this is definite hit! I would highly recommend it to all considering it. :-)

45 kate January 10, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi! I just wanted to let you know how amazing this recipe is! I just got my first slow cooker and this was the first recipe I tried — and me and my family actually went back for THIRDS. I don’t think that’s ever happened before. I woke up this morning excited to eat the leftovers. And it was so easy to make!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

46 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Hey Kate, thanks for the comment and that is soo awesome to hear, that you guys all love it so much. It is definitely a favorite around here, too. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment ;)

47 Natalie January 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I’ve now made this recipe 5 or 6 times over the last 6 months. It is excellent. Really yummy and comes out perfectly everytime. So long as we remember to turn the slow cooker on… :-)

48 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Hey Natalie, I am so happy to hear you enjoy this recipe. I am so glad it always comes out perfect for you. Slow cookers are amazing that way, and yes even more so when you remember to turn it on. Is that something you have done more than once?

49 Robin January 28, 2014 at 10:20 am

I make this recipe frequently and have shared it with many friends. I just saw that you’re in Long Beach. We are in bixby knolls. What is the name of the shop where you buy your curry powder? Is it in little India?

50 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hey there neighbor :) I am soo happy to hear you make this recipe often. It is a favorite of ours too! We are in Long Beach, moved here nearly a year ago!! When I created this recipe I still lived in Buffalo, I honestly cannot recall the brand I was using at the time I wrote this. These days I have been buying the pre-made yellow curry blend in bulk at Lazy Acres on Bellflower, but I am sure you can also by it at Whole Foods or specialty Asian stores.
Um and where in the world is little India? Sounds like somewhere I need to go ASAP!!
Thanks for the comment!

51 Robin February 4, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Little India is in Artesia. A good concentration of shops is on pioneer and 183rd. You’ll find loads of whole spices. I usually buy mine there and then blend my own curry powder. Please go explore it. You’ll love it.

52 Katie Tafaoga January 28, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I was wondering if you could share the curry powder & Indian store name so I can get it too since I live locally. Thank you!

53 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Hey Katie, when I made this recipe I still lived in Buffalo, I honestly cannot recall the brand I was using at the time I wrote this. These days I have been buying the pre-made yellow curry blend in bulk at Lazy Acres on Bellflower, but I am sure you can also by it at Whole Foods or specialty Asian stores.

54 Rhonda February 2, 2014 at 8:07 am

Hi Beth, I just found your website and I am browzing through your recipes and it all sounds delicious. I just happento have all the ingredients in my pantry for the butternut, chick peas and yellow curry crocpot and it is cooking at this moment! I can’t wait to have it. Thanks so much.
Rhonda

55 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hey Rhonda, so glad you have everything on hand. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

56 Carrie February 3, 2014 at 6:59 pm

This sounds like just what I was looking for! I’m looking forward to making it tomorrow. Question, is there a difference between the canned coconut “milk” and the refrigerated cartons?

Also, I’m in Long Beach, also — funny. Up in Wrigley.

57 tastyyummies February 4, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Awesome Carrie. I hope you enjoy when you make it. I am not entirely sure what the difference is, but there is definitely a difference with the canned stuff and the carton kind. Usually there are more ingredients listed on the carton kinda and I find the flavor to be much milder. And yay for a Long Beach neighbor. I haven’t been to Wrigley before!! We just adore Long Beach so much!

58 Carrie February 4, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks for the reply! Tonight I can report that my family all enjoyed it! I had asked about the coconut because I was concerned/confused about the “curdling” some people experienced, i thought the cold kind might be susceptible to that. But I went ahead and used it, and it was totally fine. I eyeballed the amounts–used less broth and more coconut to make up for the more dilute beverage-style preparation– and the texture came out nice and smooth, not watery at all. Thanks for this recipe!

59 Kat February 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm

This is hands down the absolute BEST and EASIEST thing I have ever made!
I love marvelous flavors, but I can’t make the commitment of cooking after a long day at work, your crock pot recipe has encouraged the foodie in me :)
Hi lights: The butternut squash softened to the point that it tasted like a super tender meat, or
even a little like paneer, as every recovering carnivore craves those textures sometimes. And it tasted like a beautiful mix of both a Thai and Indian curry.
You go girl! Absolutely marvelous…Keep getting inspired and experimenting and share with us all the things you create— my stomach thanks you in advance!!!!!

60 tastyyummies February 11, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Wow Kat thanks so much, what a lovely comment. I am so so glad you liked it so much! This is one of our favorites, over here.

61 Marcia DeGuerre February 13, 2014 at 8:01 am

It’s a snow storm here in NYC and this is my second time making this receipe. Once the butternut squash is cut it took me less than 10 minutes to do all the other steps. My husband and I love the flavor, smell and texture of this meal. Thank you so much for sharing. We received a crockpot for Christmas and this is the first receipe I made in it and simply love it. Oh, I also added raisins at the end and it added such a nice flavor!

62 Sanjana February 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I made this yesterday with light coconut milk. I didn’t use any peas or spinach but added tamarind concentrate about 2 teaspoon instead of lemon juice. It was just divine! I didn’t like my crock pot recipes before this, you changed me with this recipe! Thanks for the great recipe.

63 Karth February 21, 2014 at 9:18 am

Umm, how much coconut milk should I use? how much do you consider a can to be? 8 oz?

64 tastyyummies February 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

Most cans I have ever seen are around 13.5 ounces. I’ve never seen an 8 ounce can, myself. But I will edit the recipe to add the ounces. Thanks.

65 Emily February 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm

This recipe is SO SOOO delicious. I tweaked it a little by adding more squash (about 4 cups instead of 2) and 2 onions instead of one, and then just like, almost a whole head of garlic. I put in a TBSP of salt instead of a TSP by accident but it still wasn’t overly salty. Good gracious I really can’t explain how yummy this was. And of course you can’t beat the convenience of a slow cooker! This was my second slow cooker attempt and it was a major success, it even sat on “warm” for almost two hours and didn’t turn to mush which I worried about. Great great great.

66 Rachael April 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm

My boyfriend’s son loves curry anything, so I had to try this. So glad I did! Such a tasteful meal and so simple to prepare. Will definitely make again.

67 Ania April 27, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I would really like to make this for my family this week but was wondering if I use canned chick peas (b/c I happen to have a few cans in my pantry), would I need to use a crock pot or could I just use a Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid on the stove top? if so, how long do you think I should cook this for on the stovetop? Or if I use canned chickpeas in the crock pot, should I do it for less time? and maybe on low setting instead of high? Thanks in advance for your input.

68 tastyyummies May 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hi Ania
yes canned chickpeas would work fine, just add them in near the end, so you are basically just warming them up, and use less liquid since they won’t be absorbing any liquid. Also, yes you could totally cook it stove top, if using canned chickpeas, it would be 30-40 minutes to cook the squash is about all it would take and again, use a bit less liquid and add the chickpeas in the final 10 minutes or so, of cooking.

69 Joe April 28, 2014 at 5:53 am

Really extraordinary. I added ginger, as another noted, more chickpeas (mine were canned and I waited until about 20 minutes to go and I added them), and cauliflower.

I found that a little bit more salt and a couple tablespoons of sugar really helped.

70 Ania May 4, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This recipe was delicious and worked well on the stovetop. I didn’t wait for you to respond in time so I did what I thought would work. I started the dish on the stove top (with all the ingredients, including the canned beans) but I browned some of the veggies first and then after an hour of cooking, I realized the squash needed a lot longer to cook so I put the whole thing in the oven for another hour! The flavors were amazing! I also used less liquid. I will be making this again!

71 tastyyummies May 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Ah sorry for the late reply. I am so behind on all things that require replying ;)

So glad it worked out well on the stovetop. That’s wonderful. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the comments.

72 VaGF May 5, 2014 at 8:57 am

I need more crock pot meals – this looks like one to try, we’ll see if my husband minds the lack of meat, or notices… Can you sub sweet potatoes for the squash – I love butternut but hate cutting it up – just didn’t know if they would get too soft for the time in the crock pot, I’m sure they would still taste good? Thanks!

73 tastyyummies May 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Hey there, yes I definitely think you could sub sweet potatoes for the squash. They may take a bit less time to cook, but probably not too much. It should be a simple sub, I would bet and I know it will taste AMAZING!!

74 3petitsprinces June 23, 2014 at 9:03 am

My apologies for not writing this sooner… this crock pot meal is ah-mazing!! I made it numerous times this past winter–even for a Boxing day dinner party (feeding a group of non-vegetarians) and it was met with rave reviews. I usually double the recipe & freeze some in individual portions with rice so that when my husband is looking for something to take to work for lunch, I can open the freezer and look like a genius! This is a fantastic site! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes!

75 Karen June 25, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Could you recommend a substitution for the shelled (or frozen) peas for those of us who don’t like peas?

76 tastyyummies June 25, 2014 at 1:12 pm

You could either leave them out or add something like green beans, fresh or frozen. I have made this plenty of times without the peas and it’s just as good!!

77 Mindy July 3, 2014 at 6:50 am

Simple and delicious, thanks! Try serving this with plain yogurt, raita, or tzatziki — it adds exactly the right note.

78 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 7, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks Mindy and I love that suggestion, I will have to try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

79 Janet July 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I’m making this for the second time today – the first time was such a success! Thanks for an awesome and great-tasting recipe.