Chai Hot Chocolate

Chai Hot Chocolate

Wait, someone help me! How is it that Christmas is 4 days away? I feel like since Thanksgiving, life has been on 11 and the last few weeks just flew right on by. This is my absolute favorite time of the year and in a blink of an eye it’s nearly over.

Since wrapping up all of the end of the year client work and the last few holiday craft shows, getting every last web order shipped out all over the world, wrapping and shipping all of the presents to send back home to our families, finishing my advanced yoga teacher training and all of the various social engagements typical of this time of year, the time to just sit back and relax this season has felt super few and far between this holiday season. We have been taking the fleeting moments where we can get them. Every meal has felt rushed and I have been doing my best to squeeze in workouts and yoga time. Last weekend I finished my final hours of my 500-hour yoga teaching certification, yesterday the last of the packages shipped around 1pm and it finally felt like I could finally breath again.

Chai Hot Chocolate

In addition to the crazy schedules, this holiday season has actually brought some really wonderful cooler temps and grey skies here in Southern California, even a little rain. It has been so pleasant and such a welcomed change. With the crisp, cool weather we don’t get too much of here, I have found myself seeking out hot soups, stews and hot comforting drinks! I created this drink a few weeks back, literally in the middle of a thousand things going on. I wanted the rich creaminess of a good cup of hot cocoa but I also was in the mood for a good spicy chai. As a libra, decision making isn’t always my strong point, so I thought, let’s just throw the two together. How could two things that are so right, ever go wrong?

Chai Hot Chocolate

This Chai Hot Chocolate is my new obsession! It is so simple to make, literally minutes. The subtle hints of spice from the chai is so nice with the rich and silky chocolate. It’s rich, creamy and comforting and I love that it’s only sweetened with a couple of dates, it contains no dairy and it’s nut-free. So it’s paleo-friendly and vegan.

Warm lemon water in the morning and hot tea throughout the day are my go-to hot beverages, but with yesterday’s crisp and cool day and finally feeling relaxed, a steamy mug of something sweet and comforting was just what the Christmas Elves ordered. One mug of this Chai Hot Chocolate and everything is right in the world.

PS since it’s the holidays and all, if you are looking to indulge a little – add a shot of spiced rum, some tequila or maybe some bourbon to your Chai Hot Chocolate. Can’t go wrong there, either!

Chai Hot Chocolate

I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means if you make a purchase using these links above – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!

1 Millie l Add A Little December 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

Wow this sounds great Beth!! Love the warm spices!

2 Jodi December 21, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Wait until you have kids! Thanks for sharing!

3 Laura @ Over The Apple Tree December 21, 2014 at 5:19 pm

This sounds fantastic and great pictures!

4 ingrid December 22, 2014 at 5:02 am

And congrats on your certification as a teacher. I said it before, now come teach in Europe 😉

5 Ali | Gimme Some Oven December 22, 2014 at 7:22 am

This is brilliant — best of both warm-drink worlds! Love those mugs too. :)

6 Gaby December 22, 2014 at 9:29 am

Yum!! I could use a cup of this right now!

7 Sarah @ SnixyKitchen December 27, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I hope you had a wonderful holiday and are finally finding some time to relax and breathe. I’ve been doing nothing at all since Christmas and it feels great. It’s been chilly up here and I’ve been craving hot chocolate. Chai is my go-to drink though, so I think I’m going to have to try your version that combines both. Sounds like the perfect way to unwind.

8 Christine // my natural kitchen December 29, 2014 at 9:45 am

I love the idea of combining these two favourites! Congratulations also on completing your advanced training – that’s awesome!

9 MamaB January 14, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I LOVE your mugs!!! Did you make those. If you didn’t can I ask where you got them?

10 ag February 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm

you can buy them from Anthropologie.

11 ina January 14, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Just made this Chai Hot Chocolate as its 8 13 pm need a wrm drink and tired of drinking tea..Its still cold winter here on the west coast of the fraser valley.. I am happy to say this drink is a success.. it was so yummie – had dried dates in a block on hand so used a small chunk instead of individual dates.. i used bourbon vanilla extract .. and organic cocoa ..just delish- just sweet enough.
tip when i purchase coconut milk i shake cans to see which milk is thicker and with the thinner coconut milk you can hear/feel it moving when u shake the thicker milk it hardly makes a sound. Here in Canada I used Western Family Organic Coconut Milk

12 Brandy @ A Mindful Mantra January 15, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I’ve been following your site for years, Beth, and I simply love your recipes! With the below zero temperatures in the Northeast this week, I am in need of a comforting chai recipe. Excited to give this a whirl – looks amazing :)

13 Sasha January 15, 2015 at 8:41 pm

We have a Ninja blender… is this safe to use since there is no little lid to take off?

14 Beth @ Tasty Yummies January 16, 2015 at 3:55 pm

How do they recommend you handle hot liquids? I would just go with their manufacturers directions or what has worked for you in the past, with hot liquids. Sorry I have never used one before, so I can’t offer much in the way of advice.