Mint Chocolate Chip Cashew Cream Cake {Gluten-free, Vegan and Refined Sugar-free}

Mint Chocolate Chip Cashew Cream Cake {Gluten-free and Vegan}

Before you jump ahead and read the ingredient list on this cake and get pissed at me for adding a vegetable to your dessert – please, please hear me out and give it a chance! This cake is life changing. It is creamy, thick, rich and so decadent.

I know I tell you guys this all of the time, but the true litmus test to a successful gluten-free dessert or baked good that I create – is the reaction of my husband. As a man that literally can and will eat just about anything, the gluten-free treats that I get so excited for are oftentimes totally unappealing to him. He likes traditional sweets, the sweeter the better – that man most times would prefer a cookie from a tube, than a less than perfect homemade gluten-free cookie fresh from the oven. The same also goes for (and usually more-so) the vegan creations I develop. I can’t blame him though – he literally can eat anything, no food intolerances, no responses or  reactions. Just a stomach of steel!

The thing is, when I can create something gluten-free, that isn’t made with refined sugars, that uses an alternative to cream and butter that he actually goes nuts for – nothing makes me happier and that’s how I know I’ve created something amazing. He really loved this one and he cannot stop talking about it, he actually ate a piece for breakfast today. That’s a WIN!!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cashew Cream Cake {Gluten-free and Vegan}

I’ve been obsessed with cashew cream cakes a while now, I love the versatility and how it appeals to all eaters, vegan or not. The No-Bake Vegan “Cheesecake” I made last summer is something I have made for many of our friends and every single one has always been impressed that the creaminess is all from soaked cashews.

This cashew cream cake has the perfect amount of subtle mint flavor, both from the fresh mint and the mint extract and the chocolate of the crust and the chocolate chips on top compliment it so well. I love serving it with a little whipped coconut cream on top. Plus, rather than the beautiful green color coming from an artificial dye, it comes from some fresh baby spinach!  Whether you want to believe it or not, there isn’t a bit of flavor from the baby spinach – just a beautiful, fresh and natural green hue.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cashew Cream Cake {Gluten-free and Vegan}

I decided this year I would create a recipe that would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Not a holiday I usually give a single care or thought about, but it was a really great excuse to get creative in the kitchen and to make something naturally green, sweet and still healthy. I think the Shamrock Shake has been recreated enough, if you ask me, so this is another fun play on that creamy minty flavor. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cashew Cream Cake {Gluten-free and Vegan}

1 Erin | The Law Student's Wife March 10, 2014 at 9:04 am

I am ALL about hidden veggies in dessert. That means extra servings are approved, right? :-)

2 KC March 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm

My husband is the same way! This sound so yummy! I’m going to try it as soon as I gather all the ingredients. :)

3 Cara March 10, 2014 at 6:55 pm

This made me laugh. Whenever Matt raves about one of my desserts, I get all puffed up and stuff. I giggle because every time he likes it he will say, “Sooooooo *this* is gluten, egg, AND dairy-free too?” That’s my stamp of approval. Oh and hey, if you need any more compliments over your desserts, feel free to ship a slice to me :) I can come up with all sorts of happy adjectives to say to you! PS This sounds (and LOOKS!) incredible…

4 Angie (@angiesrecipess) March 11, 2014 at 11:35 am

This looks super yum! Mint and spinach with chocolate…an adventurous and beautiful combo!

5 Sylvie | Gourmande in the Kitchen March 12, 2014 at 1:57 am

It’s such a beautiful green, I love that you hid some veggies in there too!

6 Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa March 12, 2014 at 6:28 am

This literally looks mouthwatering! I love how nutritious the ingredients are :)

7 Gemma Hudson March 12, 2014 at 11:32 am

This creation looks ah-mazing!!

8 Karen @ The Food Charlatan March 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm

This is awesome Beth! I love that you added spinach, i was going to guess avocado. And I love the fresh mint! I don’t use that enough. This is my first visit Beth, your site is adorable!

9 Sheryl Stover March 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Looks good and am going to try it.

10 Sheryl Stover March 13, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I plan on trying this recipe.

11 Sheryl Stover March 13, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Going to try this recipe.

12 Karen March 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm

This is a great recipe. I didn’t want to have to use the freezer, so I added about a tablespoon of gelatin to help it firm up. Next time I’ll increase the amount. I did not use any of the water the recipe called for because my cashews had soaked two days before I got to them and were saturated. I also used a bit too much spinach (trying to use the last of it) so there is just a hint of an under flavor so next time I’ll stick with the two handfuls. ;^) I’ll probably add a squirt of lemon juice to see if it can have more of the ‘cream cheese’ flavor undercurrent as well. The crust on this is beyond decadent. I may just make it as an energy bar (ball) recipe for my next road trip. Yummy. Instead of chocolate chips on top, I made a nice ganache using 70% dark chocolate. It’s delicious from top to bottom and pretty and very very worth your time. Now I’m looking for a chocolate peanut butter cashew based cheesecake……. ;^) Anyone know of a recipe?

13 Elaine March 15, 2014 at 11:59 am

Holy frick’n crap. I just made this, and it blew me away. Spinach as food coloring – great idea. Super minty. Tastes like it’s made with powdered sugar.

Another new favorite. Thanks so much, Beth. Seriously. …changing my life.

14 Lisa Olson March 16, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Hi! I am so excited to try this recipe. I was planning to make it tomorrow, but upon reading the recipe I noticed that it should be put into the freezer overnight or until set. How long do you think it might take to set if I made it earlier in the day? Thanks!
:) -Lisa

15 tastyyummies March 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I would say about 4 hours should probably be enough, I actually find this cake is better not totally frozen, so even just an hour or two will likely be enough. Hope that helps and I hope you like this when you make it. Thanks!

16 Lisa O March 16, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Oh, that is so good to hear! I was worried that I missed my opportunity to make this on time. Thanks for the quick reply! :) -Lisa

17 Kadri March 17, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi! I’m planning to do this cake at my birthday but I have a question. How large is one cup in your measurements? I mean, is it as big as a coffee mug or about quarter a litre or something else? It’s always quite confusing in different recepies :D

18 Kadri March 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm

BTW! It looks absolutely fantastic!! :)

19 tastyyummies March 18, 2014 at 8:01 am

Kadri, one cup as in standard US measurements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)#United_States_customary_cup

20 Kadri March 18, 2014 at 8:18 am

Thanks alot! :)

21 Mari Jo March 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I made this today — it was a hit! So tasty and guilt free! I’m dreaming of an egg nog version for Christmas next year! Thanks for the wonderful new staple!

22 tastyyummies March 18, 2014 at 7:46 am

Yay Mari Jo, so glad you liked it so much!! It’s funny you mention that, I had planned to make an egg-nog version this past holiday season and never got around to it. Next year I guess ;) Thanks for the comment.

23 Mari Jo March 20, 2014 at 9:04 am

My son and I were talking about this pie, still (it’s been gone a few days). Anyway, he said we should make a Lady Bug pie (he’s four) and it got me to thinking that a strawberry version would also be delicious!

24 T.Scholtz April 1, 2014 at 10:12 pm

So I have seen mint chocolate brownies made with avocado, and I was sure that was going to be the sneaky ingredient here….was I surprised to see spinach! LOL! What a good idea! So healthy and such a nice color too. Pinning and printing this one for sure. I’m intrigued by Mari Jo’s comment to try a strawberry version so I might just attempt that…maybe throw in a little bit of beet, to stay true to the theme! :)

25 Clairette May 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I don’t have a food processor (nor a springform pan), so I had to make some adjustments. As it turns out, there’s a grocery store near me that specializes in food from India and the Middle East, and they sell date paste for just about the same price as the dates, whole. I thought it might be a bit dense, almost too solid, but I found that mixing the crust ingredients by hand worked pretty well. Then I used a hand-held mixer (which I usually use for liquidating soups) for the filling–and replaced store-bought ground almonds for the cashews. These seem like major adjustments but it still tasted amazingly rich. By luck I found peppermint flavoured dark chocolate to top it off. Thanks for a great recipe, I’ll be making that one again and again!