Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

I have always LOVED tacos, but from traveling a ton to Texas and California and even Mexico once or twice, I am well aware of what makes a good taco. Living in Western New York for the past 30+ years meant getting the very best tacos I could on the road and when I was really craving them at home, just making them myself. I have made soo many different tacos, some vegan, like these, some with slow cooked meat from our farmer, some loaded just with grilled veggies, and so on. I am not saying my homemade tacos are THE very best and most authentic, but for the most part they were better than any I could get in Buffalo. (Though Lloyds Taco Truck were damn delicious and the best in WNY outside of my kitchen, for sure!)

I find the key to authentic tacos (or at least for my taste) is skipping on the loads of cheese and chopped iceberg lettuce like most Americans love. You want good quality ingredients like slow cooked beans or a meat, spiced to perfection. Add some fresh cilantro, a quick homemade pico de gallo or other salsa and add a few other simple but yummy things like quick pickled red onions, (diced onions or green onions are always great to) or maybe a simple chipotle cream. Less is more in a lot of ways.

OK so now I am living in Southern California, the land of amazing tacos. Why did I make tacos at home, you ask? Almost every week for Taco Tuesday we have tried a different place out, since you can get amazing prices/deals at most places. Last week, we didn’t wanna go out and we still wanted tacos, so this was the next best thing.

These tacos feature super flavorful slow-cooked black beans, that do their thing ALL day in the crock pot. Load it up in the morning before work and by dinner time it’s all ready for you. You can make the pickled onions and chipotle cream the day before, the morning of when you are loading up the crock pot or just a couple of hours before you serve dinner. I highly suggest making your own corn tortillas whenever possible, they are so simple to make and once you do, you will realize what you have been missing. I  was forced to skip on it this time as I wasn’t able to find non-GMO masa harina around here, so I just bought some pre-made organic non-GMO corn tortillas that were very good and very fresh.

**BONUS ADDITIONAL MEALS: The great thing about this recipe is that it  makes a decent amount of black beans and other goodies. So make tacos for 4 – 6, or more – or make tacos for 2 one night, then make delicious black bean and brown rice bowls another night. Instead of tortillas start with brown rice in a large bowl, top with the slow cooked black beans, add any other veggies or toppings, top with the pickled red onions and chipotle cream sauce and you have another deliciously incredible meal.

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

Slow-Cooked Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Chipotle Cream {Gluten-free + Vegan}

1 ashley - baker by nature April 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

My eyes are saying “heck yes” to these burritos! Totally tempted to whip these up right now.

2 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Ha you totally should. They will make your tummy as happy as your eyes. Promise!

3 Alissa N April 16, 2013 at 10:40 am

These look amazing, I saw you post them on instagram and I couldn’t wait to see the recipe!! I honestly didn’t think for a long time that I could go fully vegan all the time, because I didn’t think I could live without cheese. Especially with things like this. But I stopped eating cheese for a couple of weeks and my cravings for it disappeared and I realized how totally unnecessary it is for food to be completely satisfyingly delicious. I especially can’t wait to try this chipotle cream, it looks incredible.

4 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Alissa. Yeh I really thought I could never be without cheese, I put it on so much. It is amazing how many things it is on where it really isn’t needed and it sometimes even over powers (either in flavor or texture) the amazing flavors of everything else. I haven’t really missed it much at all.

5 Laura T. April 16, 2013 at 10:40 am

These look soooo amazing. I canno wait to make them. I love the idea of that chipotle cream sauce. Can’t wait to try it.

6 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much Laura! Hope you like the sauce if you make it.

7 Jen April 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m excited about this, especially the pickled onions! I’ve been wanting to make my own since having Lloyd.

8 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Jen! Yeh those pickled onions are soo easy to make you will always have them on hand, they are great on salads and so much else, too.

9 Laura April 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Vegan Chipotle cream…wow you just made my day! I totally want to dig into these tacos and cream sauce right now.

10 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Laura!

11 Stephanie April 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Found this pinned on Pinterest and had to check it out…and lo and behold…a fellow Buffalonian!!! How can you not love Mighty??? LOL!!

These sound awesome, especially the cream sauce!

12 tastyyummies April 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm

haha Mighty Taco definitely has it’s place in the world (late night after drinking binge), however under the terms “amazing tacos” or “Authentic Mexican” I would never put it :)

Hope you enjoy this if you make it.

13 Stephanie April 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Ha ha! Definitely not authentic, that’s for sure! :) But I do hold much love for them :)

14 erika April 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm

have been waiting for this recipe since i saw it on your IG feed! Yum, cant wait to try it!

15 Maggie April 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Amazing recipes Beth! I am TOTALLY making the pickled onions and the chipotle cream. I always have cashew pulp on hand! And we love chipotle anything. I’m coming to visit you on a Tuesday :) I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t have a crock pot! Could I slow cook the beans in a soup pot or something? Thanks!

16 Amy Jo - Pure and Simple April 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

these tacos look so good! the chipotle cream recipe is brilliant.

17 amber April 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Hi Beth,

First off, this entire post is amazing! Love everything about it. Just gorgeous. Fantastic, healthy recipes, Beth.

Second, I nearly fell off my chair with those onions. You see, I grew up on pickled red onions. I lived with my grandparents for many years and spent a great deal of time in the kitchen with my Gramie. And pickled red onions was one of the MANY things she pickled. I can tell you that they are incredibly sweet and I would to eat them like candy as a child (no joke). I make them once in a while and love them on sandwiches. I thought about sharing a recipe now and then, but never got around to it. I love your addition of jalapenos. Your recipe looks amazing. Just seeing those onions in there pickling in that red wine elicited a wave of happiness and joyful memories!

I did manage to recreate her beet picked eggs that are beyond fabulous.

Thanks for the smile today! Isn’t food just great like that. It truly connects us all.

Be Well,
–Amber

18 Lauren June 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

Where do you find GF chipotle in adobo? I haven’t found any without wheat flour.

19 Barb Grimes July 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm

My beans didn’t soften. I soaked them over night and cooked 6 hours on low than 2 on high..I don’t think they are going to soften. Maybe because of the addition of tomato’s?

20 tastyyummies July 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hey Barb bummer to hear that. How old are your beans? That could have something to do with it. Also – slow cookers aren’t all created equally, sadly. It could just be that your slow cooker isn’t as strong as mine is. I have seen many varying times on recipes for slow cooking black beans. If you wish to eat them now and don’t want to keep them in a crock pot, I would suggest adding them to a pot on the stove and cooking them over high heat until they are soft. The tomatoes would have nothing to do with the beans not getting soft, just not enough cook time or the beans are too old and therefore stale. Sorry again they didn’t work for you.

21 Barb Grimes July 2, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I bought the beans yesterday at Wegmans..I’m cooking them on the stove now,hopefully they soften up. I’m thinking I got a bum bag of beans than, usually my crockpot cooks pretty fast.

22 tastyyummies July 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hmm so strange. I hope they cook up quick on the stove. Such a bummer, the whole point in a crockpot is ease and simplicity ;) So much for that! ha

23 Marnie July 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I made this last night – AMAZING! the beans were so delicious, and the condiments just made it. Will be a regular feature on our menu. Still thinking about it :D

24 Samantha September 18, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m going to make this tonight! Just curious how long the chipotle cream will last in the fridge?

25 tastyyummies September 18, 2013 at 9:04 am

Samantha, I would say it should keep up to 4 or 5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it. Thanks, I hope you like it.

26 suzi September 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm

okay going to give this a try, it looks amazing!! have a dumb question, what is the best way to warm the corn tortillas? mine always get chewy if i quick warm in a pan on the stove. is there a better way to keep them soft so they are warm but wont fall apart as soon as i pick it up to eat it? thanks so much for the assist, and the recipe!!

27 tastyyummies September 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Suzi, I usually heat mine in a un-oiled nonstick pan. The key is to not heat them up too fast but to make sure that they are in fact heated up thoroughly it is when they aren’t heated that I notice they are super fragile and breakable. I go with a medium heat and give them enough time, making sure they aren’t going to break. We made these sunday and this time I actually heated them up on the grill, that worked great since I could heat up 8 at once instead of one at a time. I have noticed some corn tortillas are much more susceptible to breaking than others. I don’t know why. I used to wrap them in damp paper towels and microwave them, but 1) I prefer not to use the microwave any more and 2) that seemed to yield much more crumbly tortillas. Hope that helps.

28 suzi September 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

i will try that, i have one non stick pan i kept. i buy the sprouted corn tortillas and they are soooo good! really appreciate the input and keep on cookin!!

29 Payal June 10, 2014 at 12:03 am

Love your blog and recipes! I just made some spicy chipotle cashew cream sauce for sweet potato tacos. I’m going to make these black beans on the side, with rice. I can barely wait! :-)

30 Kris July 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Hi Beth-
Just found this on your site and really want it bad!! I’m very sensitive to all nuts except almonds and peanuts all others make me extremely sick. Can this Chipotle cream be made with almonds.
Love all your recipes especially the coconut sweet potato curry is my favorite .
Thanks so much

31 Emily September 24, 2014 at 8:39 pm

This recipe is AMAZING!! The flavor combinations and easy execution is a win. We have added a cabbage slaw as a crunchy/tang to the sweet, smoky, spice of the chipotle. We are on the hunt for flavorful recipes on our new gluten/dairy free life and recipes like this make the loss of a diet change absolutely painless. Thank you for posting this for folks like us to find :)

32 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 25, 2014 at 8:08 am

Thanks for the comment Emily. That’s so awesome to hear! I am so glad you like it so much! You are so welcome and thank YOU so much for reading! xo