Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto – Gluten-free + Vegan

Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto – Gluten-free + Vegan

If it isn’t apparent yet, I am all-in on the fall-inspired dishes right now. Apples, squash, pumpkin anything…I am all about it. All of it. I love the shift into comfort food at the start of Autumn and I know that my body is craving it for a reason. Ask and you shall receive hungry tummy! What better way to combine Autumn flavors and produce with comfort food, than a delicious creamy pumpkin risotto.

Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto – Gluten-free + Vegan

I had been dreaming of a pumpkin risotto for a few weeks now and even had a few readers request a recipe, but instead of a traditional risotto like this one or this one, I wanted something that wasn’t quite so labor intensive. I never mind standing over the pot, spooning the broth or stock in, one ladle-full at a time, it is always worth it, but I wanted to see if I could create a simpler method for those days that you don’t have the extra time to dedicate an hour of your life to just one pot of food. In comes the magical Crock-Pot, the closest thing I will ever have to a personal chef!

Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto – Gluten-free + Vegan

This risotto is creamy, rich and comforting without any dairy at all. It’s quite unbelievable that this is not only gluten-free, but it is also vegan. The roast pumpkin and the pumpkin puree and not only provide a beautiful rich autumn-inspired hue to the dish, but a delicious hearty flavor. If you aren’t vegan and/or dairy-free this would also be quite delicious with a good chicken stock and some Parmigiano-Reggiano at the end, though I can say with confidence neither are needed or missed. The key to a creamy risotto is opting for arborio rice rather than the trational long grain.

Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto – Gluten-free + Vegan

1 Lynn Richards October 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

This looks like some thing I need to try! Is it on the sweet side?

2 tastyyummies October 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

No I wouldn’t exactly say it is on the sweet side. Maybe a little sweetness from the pumpkin, but it is quite subtle.

3 Suzanne October 23, 2012 at 11:55 am

Sounds delicious! I love pumpkin! Headed over there now…

4 Lou October 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Sounds great! Love a good (simple) crock-pot recipe – they can be a life saver at the end of a hectic day…. off to check out the recipe :)

5 Dianne October 24, 2012 at 1:33 am

Sounds wonderful. I will try it in my risotto/rice cooker. Thanks for the recipe :)

6 Wendy (The Local Cook) October 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

I never would have thought to make risotto in the slow cooker . . . I’m going to check out the recipe now.

7 tastyyummies October 25, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Right? I have a feeling I will be making a lot more risotto now :) Thanks for stopping by.

8 Julie November 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

This is one of the most delicious things I’ve made in the crock!! The only thing I didn’t add was roasted pumpkin cubes. My grocery store was all out (even though thanksgiving is a week away??) so I used a acorn squash instead and it was still great!

9 Amy April 10, 2014 at 7:55 am

What can I use instead of wine? Any suggestions. I cannot use wine because we do not drink or use it in our cooking!

10 Liarna April 22, 2014 at 4:09 am

I’m getting an error page when I click on the link :( I’m not sure why but is there anyway you could check it please?

11 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am

Thanks for the heads up. I just located the recipe and updated the page. You should be all set now. Sorry about that.

12 Ashleigh October 26, 2014 at 10:15 am

What an awesome idea, I wait to make it this week!! :) thanks for the recipe!

13 Nicole June 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm

wahhhh the link to recipe no longer works :(

14 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am

15 Suzie July 12, 2015 at 10:37 am

I clicked the link that you put on this page for the recipe where you guest posted, but the link is broken (or domain doesn’t exist anymore). Can you please provide the updated link or if it doesn’t exist anymore, please list the recipe on this page!! I really want to make it!! Thanks!!

16 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am

17 Betsi November 5, 2015 at 8:31 am

The link is indeed broken! Can you pretty please provide the recipe? I made this last year & I’m craving it again!!!

18 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 5, 2015 at 8:48 am

19 Michelle November 20, 2015 at 7:33 pm

This looks delicious! I bought all the ingredients, now reading over the recipe. I may be overlooking something but I don’t see what to do with the pumpkin puree and the pie pumpkin?

20 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 22, 2015 at 4:23 pm

OMG I am so so sorry, when I dug through the archives to find this recipe to republish it here (it was on another website, which was taken down so I had to search to find the original recipe) – somehow the end of the recipe was cut off.
I apologize. I edited the recipe and added the remainder of the recipe. I apologize for that.

21 Marian November 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

When do you add the pumpkin and pumpkin puree? It says roast pumpkin, so I imagine you roast the cubes in the oven and add in the end? Or do they go in in the beginning? Thank you! I thought I had the whole menu planned until I saw this. Definitely wanna give it a try ☺

22 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 22, 2015 at 4:24 pm

23 Marian November 22, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Thank you, Beth!

24 Laurel December 11, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Am I missing something? Like the measurements for the rice/pasta???

25 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 15, 2015 at 7:29 am

Hey Laurel, it’s 2 cups of arborio rice. It was up there, but the formatting of the recipe was a little screwy and it was on the line above. All fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

26 Silène DL February 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Just cooked it for dinner yesterday, it was damn delicious… I used a phô vegetable broth, with wine and oignons it was perfect in the rice. The pumpkin was a magical add. Really, I didn’t eat something that good for months, thank you so much!