Coconut Mango Banana Smoothie – Gluten-free, Vegan + Refined Sugar-free

Coconut Mango Banana Smoothie - Gluten-free + Vegan

Not only did I live through my first run on Thursday evening, but I even went again today! So far, so good, I’m actually really enjoying it and I wasn’t even sore after. I definitely need to take it slowly and not try to do too much, but I could already see a slight improvement from my first run to the second.

In addition to adding running to my weekly fitness routine, I also decided I am going to try to wake up every morning at 6am (or thereabouts). I have found I am quite productive in the morning hours, so I really should be getting up as early as I can. With the sun already being up that early this time of year, it’s actually quite easy. I’ve done it every day this week since we returned home and I’m loving it. Even if I don’t jump right out of bed, at least I’m awake and getting my day started.

This morning I was up at 6 am and out of the house by 8:00 for a 90-minute vinyasa yoga class at East Meets West. Then I got home, grabbed my hubby and my iPod and we went for a 2-mile run together. It felt great to run after being nice and stretched out from yoga. I was hungry but I really didn’t have a huge appetite for a big meal after doing all of that. Since I had an afternoon’s worth of house cleaning to do, I decided to make this deliciously satisfying smoothie and it kept me full for many hours after while I washed flours, did dishes and cleaned the bathtub.

This filling and creamy little drink is so smooth and thick, almost milk-shake like. The flavor from the mango and banana are so bright and fresh which pairs so nice with the smooth creamy taste of the coconut and vanilla. I had grabbed a carton of unsweetened almond milk/coconut milk blend at the store the other day so I used that, but you could use straight coconut milk , almond milk or whatever your favorite non-dairy milk is.

Coconut Mango Banana Smoothie - Gluten-free + Vegan

1 alex@spoonful of sugar free May 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

so glad your new workout is doing well love this smoothie! :-)

2 Shirley @ gfe May 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This is definitely my kind of smoothie! Love all the flavors, Beth! :-) Oh, and as much as I like to sleep in, I do much better when I get up at 5:20 with hubby, do my yoga and walk or do something else in the exercise mode and then commence with my day. ;-)

Shirley

3 Lindsey May 24, 2012 at 8:05 am

Wow, this looks sublime! Can’t wait to pin (and then try;))

4 Lynne Wallace May 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I had frozen mangos in my freezer and I wanted to make a smoothie, but the one I did yesterday didn’t turn out so fabulous. I got on foodgawker just to browse, and wouldn’t you know it, your mango smoothie was on the first page. I made one with half the ingredients (1/2 c frozen mango chunks, 1 frozen banana, 1T coconut oil and enough hemp/non-dairy milk to make it the desired consistency. I put it all in a magic bullet and blend the beejeezus out of it lol) The weird thing about mine was the little chunks of coconut oil. It almost adds a crunchy texture (like chocolate flecks would) to the smoothie, and it’s growing on me… :)

5 tastyyummies May 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hi Lynne! Yeh if the coconut oil is pretty solid and/or if some of the other ingredients are super cold and it freezes up the oil before it blends in, that can happen. This time of year my coconut oil is pretty soft, with how warm it is so I didn’t get any flecks or chunks. Glad you liked it though :)

6 Rachel June 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm

This looks delicious!! I will definitely have to try this! I, too, am way more productive early in the morning. I just bought some new running shoes and hopefully I can get up ealy and jog, too :) Good luck to you!

7 tastyyummies June 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Thanks Rachel. Sadly I am on a temporary (possibly permanent) break from running already :( on my third run in I started experiencing some serious inner knee pain. I took it easy and tried to just be mindful. After that I was in pain for nearly two weeks, I am just starting to get back to normal. I decided to keep it going with yoga and just give my knees a break since I know they are nothing to mess around with. In talking with a few yoga teachers at my studio who really know my body, they told me to be mindful and to not force myself into it. So yeh, I am feeling a bit discouraged and bummed out, but we’ll see where this journey takes me. Thanks for the comment and the well wishes. I hope your run was great.

8 Penny July 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I had a similar experience after my first run last week. A friend and I have been getting up at 5 for a few months for walks and we decided that we wanted to try something a bit more intense. I felt fine during and I don’t feel like I pushed myself too hard, but the next day, my knee and hip were in some serious pain. I have been going to the chiro for a week now to try to resolve it. I have scoliosis and prior to the run, had fallen behind with my monthly chiro and massage appts that keep me functioning normally, so that may have had something to do with it.
I hope that I will eventually be able to pursue it again, but if it doesn’t work out, I’m ok with that. I love walking and I’m looking forward to trying out yoga and pilates in the near future.

9 Carla June 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Looks just like my kind of smoothie :) YUM!!! I have just found you via this recipe on Pinterest and I’m so glad I have as I am just at the very beginning of a very similar journey. I am going to enjoy looking at your other posts and learning more. I have the same problem when I use coconut oil in smoothies and have never got used to it…….so now Im just using it in my cooking and its Yummy :)

Many thanks

carla
perth australia

10 Amanda June 3, 2012 at 2:55 am

Hello!! Id love to try this. just wondering if you take half regular coconut milk from a can and half almond milk, or do you buy it pre-made?? Cant wait to try it!!

11 Shannon June 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Lynn you might try using coconut extract instead. I use it in my smoothies and it works really well and it’s calorie free!

12 amber June 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hi Beth,

You are my inspiration! I love reading about your adventures in running. So great.

And this smoothie is awesome. I’m on vacation this week visiting family, but I did bring a super ripe mango with me and 5 very ripe bananas….I have everything but the coconut. But you’ve inspired me to throw what I have together and make a healthy, refreshing afternoon snack. I look forward to making the full version when I get home. :-)

Have a great rest of your week!!

Be Well,
–Amber

13 shani November 15, 2012 at 9:02 am

it’s nearly summer in australia right now, which means mangoes!!!
I’ll be making this tmrw morning for breakfast
i have to say… after blending my smoothies, i add 2 tbsp of shredded coconut to the blender and maybe blend it for a few seconds… just so the coconut flakes are distributed throughout the smoothie… sooooo divine!!!! it’s almost like a pudding with crunchy coconut pieces, i eat it with a spoon
and yes you’re right, it’s very filling!

breakfasts like these are the only thing that get me out of bed in the morning!! :)

14 Penny July 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I put this in the freezer as a smoothie kit about two months ago and pulled it out yesterday so that we could have a yummy, portable breakfast on the way to the beginning of a crazy busy day today. It was so good! Definitely a favorite so far. Thank you!

15 Sadie July 18, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Oooh, I have a ripe mango that is begging to be used in this recipe! However, I’m currently out of coconut oil. Could I use shredded coconut or coconut butter instead, and if so how much?

16 tastyyummies July 19, 2013 at 11:20 am

Sadie, yes the oil isn’t a necessity in the recipe, I dunno maybe 1/4 cup or so of shredded coconut and/or 1 or 2 tablespoons of the coconut butter. Smoothies are super forgiving and hard to make wrong, so just play around and you will get it right ;)

17 Lisa July 24, 2013 at 4:47 am

I left my coconut oil in the cabinet above our stove…..it liquified. Is it still ok to use? I am new to using it and have been hesitant. Thanks! The recipe sounds great and I am anxious to try it.

18 tastyyummies July 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Totally OK Lisa, coconut oil just melts at anything over 76ºF. So obviously under that 76º point it will solidify. It’s much like butter that way.

19 cynthia tinnin July 24, 2013 at 5:22 am

Just found you. Love your term “consciences carnivore”, that’s me! Although I do still consume some raw diary.. Loving what I’m seeing, Thank you. ( also love east meets west! Live out in the central valley so don’t get there often, but still love it)

20 Mindy January 5, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Love all your smoothie recipes, thank you! Where did you get the straw in this picture?

21 Louise Waronek March 13, 2014 at 7:55 am

There’s always left over coconut milk and an overripe mango. Good recipe.

22 Christine April 27, 2014 at 6:08 am

Just made this with frozen mango, and no ice, and it’s sooooooooo good. My boyfriend keeps exclaiming, “OOOO”, “WoW!” and “This is damn good”, every minute or so.