Chipotle Black Bean and Quinoa Crock-Pot Stew – Vegan + Gluten-free

Chipotle Black Bean and Quinoa Crock-Pot Stew - Vegan + Gluten-free

This post will be quick and easy, just like this recipe. Which is exactly what I need right now with everything going on. I made this the other night in an effort to make something hearty, healthy and satisfying without having to spend at least an hour in the kitchen. Since we are getting ready to hit the road this weekend for SXSW in Austin, every minute counts. This is where cooking dinner in a crock-pot comes in. No matter how busy I am though, I insist on eating as healthy as I can, especially at times like this. It is when you need nutritious goodies and healthy energy the most!

This stew was super easy to toss together and it made the house smell amazing all day long while it cooked. Plus, we’ve been enjoying the leftovers ever since. You can have fun with the toppings on this or keep it as simple as you’d like. Additionally, if you want to saute the veggies first, you can do that too, but I like keeping my crock-pot cooking as easy and quick as I can. After all, that is the entire point of it, in my opinion anyway.

This recipe is similar to my crock pot black bean soup, but I thought leaving the beans whole and adding in the quinoa and diced tomatoes would make it more stew-like and a fun change.  The quinoa was a subtle addition but it was nice. I think I could actually get away with adding in 1 full cup, but I didn’t want the quinoa to steal the show! The bonus, this stew is naturally vegan and gluten-free. Feel free to play around with the spices making it to your liking, maybe adding in some cumin or leaving out the cinnamon, etc. Make it your own.

Do you have a favorite crock-pot meal? What do you like most about cooking in a crock-pot or slow-cooker?

Chipotle Black Bean and Quinoa Crock-Pot Stew - Vegan + Gluten-free

1 Ambika March 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm

LOVE this stew! Such wonderful flavors and gorgeous photos! You have an awesome blog, glad to your new follower :)

2 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum March 9, 2012 at 12:33 am

Beautiful!

3 Lindsey March 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Looks great! I will have to try this sometime soon. The weather sucks in Dallas right now, so I really want a bowl of this right now. Enjoy Austin!

4 Adriana March 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I am so making this tomorrow, it looks and sounds amazing! I don’t have a slow-cooker but that won’t keep me from making it:) Thanks a lot for sharing this Beth.

5 chandra ~ oh lovely day March 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I’ve pinned so many recipes from your site today and just had to say thanks for all the yummy healthy eating inspiration!

6 Richa@HobbyandMore March 13, 2012 at 12:40 am

I love one pot complete meals. this stew looks so gorgeous!

7 Trudy March 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanx for the inspiration. I’ve adaped it slightly to what was in my cupboard, and posted on my blog (http://trudysfood.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/black-bean-and-quinoa-stew/)

Love your blog!

8 Adriana May 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’m a bit late with the feedback but the stew was AMAZING! I cooked it on the stove and had to make a few adjustments (didn’t have chipotles and quinoa). The smoky flavour and the addition of cinnamon made it so appetizing. I’ve blogged about it and linked back to your page. Thanks again for this wonderful recipe:)

9 mary Ladd August 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I am so glad I found you I just became a vegan in January this year. I will be visting you a lot thank you Mary

10 Valeria Wicker October 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

The flavors are great, but I think I will add some molasses to settle down the acidity. I also threw in a teaspoon of cocoa powder.

11 Sara October 29, 2012 at 7:32 am

This is what I’ll be making to get through Hurricane Sandy. Let’s hope my power doesn’t go out while the crock pot is still running. I’ll leave out the bell peppers but definitely not the chipotle!

12 tastyyummies October 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Sara, first off please stay safe and I hope you guys stay out of harms way. Sending you good thoughts, it isn’t supposed to hit here until later tonight.

I hope the stew helps you get through the day and I hope your power stays on long enough for it to cook :) Take care.

13 Nicole November 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

This recipe sounds delicious! I would like to make this for dinner tomorrow but am wondering if I were to use canned black beams how much do you suggest I use?

Thank you!

14 Melanie December 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I used three cans of beans, only three cups of veggie broth and uped the quinoa to one cup and it turned out delicious. Beans were a little mushy, but not bad at all. LOVE the cinnamon stick. It adds a unique flavor!

15 Karielyn@TheHealthyFamilyandHome June 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hi Beth!

I just found your recipe on the Bembu 101 Quinoa Recipes list and should have known when I saw it that it was a Tasty Yummies recipe!

Every recipe I’ve tried from your site is delish! ;)

16 Jennifer July 8, 2013 at 4:03 am

If you only have canned black beans how much would you reduce the water by? Thank you

17 tastyyummies July 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Jennifer, I am not exactly sure as I have never made these with already cooked/canned beans. Putting the cooked beans in the crockpot could result in a soggy bean and could significantly change the recipe, so I am not sure I have any specific suggestions. The water in this recipe is absorbed by the dried beans, so you certainly wouldn’t need nearly that much, but I would have to suggest that you just experiment and see how it goes for you. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Let me know how this turns out if you do make it with the canned beans. Thanks.

18 Tim January 12, 2014 at 4:37 am

You only need 2 parts water to one part Quinoa.. If it is too watery in the end cook on high with the lid off to reduce..

19 Marne October 2, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hi there!
Question for you as I am newer to cooking with dried beans. Do I need to soak the black beans overnight or literally just rinse and go? I wanted to check as I’ve heard (maybe not accurately), that some beans need this.

Thanks so much for combining 2 favorites (quinoa & BB)!

20 Laura October 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm

What does “rinsed and picked over” mean?

21 tastyyummies October 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

Laura – rinsed as in rinsed with water, picked over as in pick over the beans with your hands. Occasionally dried beans can have tiny rocks or stones mixed in. Always best to pick over them to be sure, biting down on a rock is never fun.

22 rothweg2 November 5, 2013 at 5:40 am

I made this stew last night, but I wasn’t able to get the beans to be soft enough. What am I doing wrong?

23 tastyyummies November 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

Dried beans can be funny that way sometimes. It just happens once in a while and there isn’t always a reason why. If they are older beans, they can sometimes require more than twice as long to cook. I always recommend using as fresh of beans as you can and if they aren’t super fresh or you don’t know how fresh they are, allow for longer cooking time.

24 Kari December 27, 2013 at 8:30 pm

How do I have a clue as to how fresh the beans are? I had the same problem & am super disappointed. Wanted to eat it tonight. Would soaking have helped?

25 tastyyummies January 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm

One way to know is when you bought them. If they have been in your pantry for a long time, then it is safe to assume they aren’t as fresh. I also updated the recipe with the suggestion of adding the salt at the end of cooking, since adding it early on can affect how the beans are cooked (and can keep them from getting soft) I have learned recently. I have made this twice in the last week and both times it came out perfectly. Another thing to note is that not all slow cookers cook at the same speed and intensity, so it is possible your slow cooker isn’t as strong as mine and this recipe could require a longer cook time for you. Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks to sharing slow cooker recipes, I have no way of knowing what brand of equipment the reader is using, how strong it is, etc. Sorry this didn’t turn out for you, I do hope you will give it another try, maybe with more cook time?

26 Kevin December 3, 2013 at 6:48 am

Don’t have a crock pot and need to use the stove. Any adjustments I need to make or should I be good?

27 Sarah January 2, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I can’t find dried chipotle peppers anywhere but I do have chipotle chili powder. Do you think this would work? How much would you suggest using?

Thanks! Looks great, can’t wait to try it.

28 tastyyummies January 3, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Sarah that should totally work just fine, I would say it depends on how spicy you like things. I would maybe start with a teaspoon or two, you can always add more later. Hope you enjoy.

29 jennifer January 3, 2014 at 8:36 am

With four kids in three years the crockpot is my newest friend. Chicken and anything might be my favorite. I’m excited to venture into the world of dried legumes, so thanks for keeping it simple!

30 Jeremy January 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Awesome. This christened my new (first) slow cooker and I’m really excited to own one now. The lime made the dish. Nice work!

31 Lori January 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Made this on Sunday before the big snowpalooza hit Indiana. Wonderful soup with great flavor!!

Do you have the nutritional information on this soup? Thanks again!

32 Sarah January 23, 2014 at 5:11 am

Hi. Any answer to the question about soaking the beans first? Or just start from dried and let the crock pot work its magic?

33 Sue January 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

This was delicious, except for the fact that the beans were still crunchy after almost 10 hours on low :o ( I had just bought the beans, and I used our large Kenmore crock pot, as our smaller one wouldn’t hold all the liquid. Maybe next time, I’ll cook on high for a bit, then switch to low.

34 Alexis January 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm

My boyfriend and I were really excited to try this recipe, however, when it came time to actually eat the soup (after 8 hours of cooking in the crockpot) we were quite disappointed. It lacked flavor and there was nothing good about it. To those considering making this recipe, I would you suggest you don’t. Or tweak the recipe to make it more flavorful right off the bat.

35 tastyyummies January 27, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Alexis I am so sorry to hear this. I have made this several times, as have many others and I have never heard of a lack of flavor. Did you follow the recipe exactly to a T? There are sooo many different flavors happening with the chipotle and the cinnamon, among others, so I am so surprised it lacked flavor, to you. Did you add salt at the end of cooking? Could it have possibly needed more? At any rate, I am so sorry to hear you didn’t care for this recipe. I think, as with everything in life, not everything is for everyone. I am sad to see that you are telling people not to make it, but to each their own, I guess.

36 jeanne N. January 27, 2014 at 6:00 am

Sounds great !

37 Jessica February 2, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Hi Beth,

This sounds like a great recipe. I see that it serves 6-8 people. Seeing as how I am just one person I would like to store the rest in the fridge. Do you know how long it normally stays good for?

Thanks for your help!
Jessica

38 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Jessica I would say that it keeps for about 5 to 7 days, max. It also freezes quite well, too.

39 Rhonda February 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi. I looked for the answer and could not find it unless I just missedit. Another woman had this question: do you soak the beans overnight first? Thanks. Want to make this ASAP.

40 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hi Rhonda, nope no soaking needed, which is why it isn’t listed above in the instructions. However since they won’t be soaked, it is important that you still rinse them and not add the salt until later in the cooking, since it can affect the cook time.
I have made this once by soaking the beans and it takes the cooking down slightly, so if you do wish to soak them, take that into consideration.

41 Kiara February 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Lots of science says adding a *little* salt at the beginning is best with beans…. as for me, the jury is still out – I’ve had great results both ways. But this link is interesting anyway. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

42 tastyyummies February 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the link Kiara. I have personally had successes both ways, but I always suggest holding off to the end with it if people are having a hard time getting their beans to cook. Cooking dried beans is so so awesome when it works. But when it doesn’t, so frustrating. I have never had much of a problem, but it just seems to be finicky for some.

43 Leo February 16, 2014 at 8:18 am

This is fantastic.

44 Tammy March 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. LOVED IT! Even hubby who thinks dinner should include meat. I added a small can of diced green chiles and an extra cup of liquid. This is a keeper. Thanks

45 Joan March 28, 2014 at 12:27 pm

This is now my go to recipe for entertaining when I am broke. Last time I made it I served it with a dollop of yogurt and avocado w/ tortilla chips on the side. This time I am going to serve it with some creamy polenta for dinner for the family, and with chips & guacamole with chips for the guests.

46 Delea September 2, 2014 at 11:27 am

Hi All,

I used dried pinto beans instead of black beans and I found it lacked flavor. I’m thinking it’s probably the bean. In hindsight, I would also change the 7 cups of water to 7 cups of low sodium vegetable broth, and possibly add some tomato paste to heighten the tomato flavor. :)