We all know how important it is to stay hydrated, year round, but this is especially important in the summer. When the weather is hot and you are spending much of the day outside being active, it is extra important to drink more fluids than usual and most especially that you are doing so before you start feeling thirsty – as that is a sure sign you are on your way to dehydration.
Did you know that every single cell in the human body needs water to function properly? Much like the plants in your garden, your cells, too, can perk up immediately upon watering. It’s that simple.
What Does Water Do in My Body?
Water Helps Your Body with the Following:
- Getting rid of waste through urination, perspiration, and bowel movements.
- Keeping it’s temperature normal.
- Lubricating and cushioning your joints.
- Protecting your spinal cord and other sensitive tissues.
Tips for Drinking More Water:
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning (I prefer mine warm with a little lemon).
- Carry a dedicated bottle or container with you are all times, at work, at home, even if you are just out running a few errands.
- Use an app on your mobile phone to track your water intake or simply set an alert on your phone to remind you.
- Choose water at restaurants instead of other beverages. not only will you save on calories while simultaneously hydrating yourself, but it also saves money.
- When you are hungry, start with a glass of water before you reach for the snack. sometimes feelings of hunger are actually your body telling you that it’s thirsty. it may just curb the cravings.
- Drink before you eat. 16 ounces 30 minutes before every meal can actually keep you from over indulging. make this a regular practice and you might even find yourself losing weight.
- Infuse and flavor your own water.
Today, I am sharing with you one of my very favorite ways to stay hydrated during the summer months…
Infused water is not only a tasty way to stay hydrated but it is nutritional, healthy, fresh and all-natural!
How-to Make Infused Water:
I N G R E D I E N T S :
Herbs, Spices and Botanicals
mint • basil • rosemary • lavender • thyme • ginger • cinnamon • sage • rose petals • vanilla • lemongrass • cardamom • parsley • lemon verbena • cilantro • cloves • cardamom • hibiscus • black pepper • chammomile • lemon verbena • stevia AND MORE
Fruit and Veggies
strawberries • blackberries • blueberries • raspberries • cherries • pineapple • watermelon • cucumber • orange • lemon • lime • grapefruit • watermelon • cantaloupe • honeydew • mango • grapes • pear • apples • peaches • plums • nectarines • blood orange • meyer lemon • tangerines • pomegranate • kiwi • carrots • celery • peppers • fennel AND MORE
R E C I P E :
For infused water, there really is no recipe, exactly. There are no right or wrong measurements, it’s all based on taste and what you have on hand.
Generally, I just add all of the ingredients to my pitcher or jar (or glass), slightly mashing up any fruit to release their juices. Next I bruise the leaves of any herbs (in my hands) to release the natural extracts and oils. Finally, top with some filtered water and enjoy! I find letting it sit in the fridge for an hour or so really allows the flavors to mesh together. The longer it sits, obviously the better and stronger the flavor will be.
You can also blend the water and fruit together with a touch of sweetener for homemade agua frescos.
select fresh organic produce and herbs whenever possible, you want your ingredients to be pesticide-free
you can peel citrus before infusing to avoid excess bitterness.
for smaller herbs and botanicals like dried lavender or peppercorns, add them to a cheesecloth when infusing
S T O R A G E :
Infused waters can be stored in airtight jars or pitchers as shown above, mason jar, glass pitcher, water bottle, gallon jug, etc. Whatever works for you. Infused waters keep in the refrigerator for about a week or until the flavor is no longer present. We tend to drink and add more water to replace the water we just poured out, adding more fruit or flavors as necessary, until it just no longer has a pronounced flavor.
Here are 4 of My Favorite Flavor Combinations:
Here are just some of my other favorite flavor combinations:
grape + lemon + parsley
strawberry + lemon + basil
cucumber + mint
orange + berry
grapefruit + sage
honeydew + basil
blueberry + lavender
apple + cinnamon
watermelon + jalapeño
peach + vanilla bean
raspberry + rose petal
mango + mint
carrot + ginger + lemon + apple
cherry + lime + mint
orange + cinnamon + ginger
pineapple + mint
strawberry + vanilla bean
orange + berry
peach + lavender
pineapple + ginger
blood orange + mint
cucumber + kiwi
strawberry + rosemary
peach + sage
orange + hibiscus + vanilla bean
THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System
As important as staying hydrated is and as delicious as infused waters are – it is also just as important to know the purity of the water you are drinking. We have an Aquasana Powered Filtration System in our home and I have to tell you, I had NO CLUE that water could actually taste better. We always had a run of the mill filtration pitcher in the fridge to do the best we could to purify our water but when I received the Aquasana Filtration System, it was a whole new ball game.
What Makes Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System So Much Better:
- Patent Pending Powered Filtration Technology never before available in a pitcher. Delivers performance of a professional grade installed filtration system for a fraction of the price – no plumbing or installation required.
- Fast Filtration in just seconds. Traditional pitchers use gravity to slowly trickle water over filter granules. The Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System uses power to filter water fast, right before your eyes.
- Ultimate Purity – Filters 10x the contaminants (60 total) of the leading pitcher filter and is the only pitcher on the market tested to remove 96% of chlorine and chloramines (chlorine + ammonia disinfectant).
- Longest Lasting Filter & Lowest Cost Per Gallon. Aquasana Claryum filters deliver 8x the gallon capacity of the leading pitcher filter for half the price. (320 gallons vs. 40 gallons at 9.4 cents per gallon vs. 20 cents per gallon)
- Ultra delicious – the purest water you’ve ever tasted. Naturally occurring minerals in your water like Calcium, Potassium and Magnesium are retained by our selective Claryum filtration, leaving you with healthier, delicious water!
What You Need to Know about the Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System
- All components are BPA free.
- Complete System – includes a portable ½ gallon pitcher you can easily fit in your fridge and a one gallon dispenser for on-demand water at the push of a button.
- Includes your first Claryum filter that will last 320 gallons or 6 months before needing a replacement.
With the Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System you get faster filtration, more contaminant removal, longer lasting filters for half the price per gallon compared to the leading drip pitcher filter.
This post is by sponsored by Aquasana. I received an Aquasana Powered Water Filtration System to review and was compensated for my time. I was under no obligations. All opinions are all mine.