Disclosure: Post sponsored by Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker & Mirum Shopper, but all opinions are my own. Please see below for additional disclosure.
Besides the usual fall foods we all get excited about, pumpkin-spiced everything, apples everywhere and of course, squash, I personally find most exciting, that fall once again opens the door to comfort food! Those soul-warming, hot, hearty meals that feel like a hug from your favorite family member.
Fall always brings me back to aromatic, warming meals that celebrate the slowing down that comes with the cooler weather. I have always loved and admired that Mexican cuisine not only celebrates creative and powerful flavors, but also it’s the kind of food that brings family together with “oohs and ahhhs”. Meals featuring meats typically cooked all day, tended to with care in anticipation of the entire family coming together and celebrating. These Slow Cooker Fall Carnitas Tacos bring together classic flavors with an unexpected twist from traditional fall ingredients.
When Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker approached me to be an exclusive partner, working together to create a series of recipes using their amazing slow cooker, I jumped at the chance. You guys know how I feel about my Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker, there has been no shortage of slow cooker recipes here on Tasty Yummies using it. Even with working from home, what I love most about a good Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker meal is the opportunity to get creative with flavors without hours of work and a sink full of dishes. I love that I get to bring unexpected flavors together and I can trust that it will be cooked properly every single time. Especially with an aromatic-forward recipe like this one, I can be in my office working throughout the day and the cozy, comforting smell of a delicious, hearty meal slowly starts wafting into my room. I find myself rushing through my work day, excited for a dinner that’s ready for me when I am.
With the start of fall, I wanted to bring seasonal-inspired flavors to a classic Mexican pulled pork taco recipe. By incorporating both pumpkin and it’s corresponding symphony of aromatic spices, we are left with a traditional dish, with just an ever so hint glimpse of fall. Typically carnitas, whether made in a slow cooker or the oven, it’s braised pork shoulder, covered in a spice rub and cooked low and slow for many hours. Using the pumpkin to create the sauce, it’s flavor isn’t exactly noteworthy or prominent per se, but what is, the cinnamon used to pull together the spices. Often used in traditional Mexican cooking, I find cinnamon to be the poster child of fall, so what better addition to these Autumn-inspired tacos.
These carnitas tacos are full of mouth-watering flavor, the meat is tender, with a hearty, spicy, smoky, thick sauce. We like to serve our tacos simply, the way you get a taqueria or at an authentic taco truck. Meat that is cooked low and slow with lots of spices, full of incredible, multi-layered flavors. When it comes to the toppings, I am a purist, I just want white onions and fresh cilantro. That’s all that’s needed if you have well cooked meat. Feel free to incorporate your own favorite toppings, however you see fit.
These Slow Cooker Fall Carnitas Tacos made in your Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker, would make a perfect dinner party option to ‘WOW’ your dinner guests! On the flip side, made mid-week, during the hustle and the bustle, you will get several meals from this one recipe. Besides the tacos, the slow cooked pork is wonderful in burritos, on salads or taco bowls, in scrambles and omelets, or however you’d like.
- 4 pound pasture-raised boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder (or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 limes, juiced
- tortillas (corn or flour, I use grain-free cassava flour tortillas)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
- any other taco toppings you like
- Place the pork shoulder into your Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker, and add the spices. You can add one by one or pre-mix. Rub the spice blend all over the pork.
- Add the garlic, onions, pumpkin puree and lime juice. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove pork shoulder from the Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker and shred the meat before returning the meat back to the juices; season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve on warm tortillas with fresh cilantro and diced onions, you can also garnish with any other toppings you'd like, salsa, shredded cheese, avocado, pickled jalapeños, radishes, green onion, etc.
Crock-Pot® brand slow cooker & Mirum Shopper is a sponsor of Tasty Yummies. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Tasty Yummies.