Having a for-real winter here in Southern California has been especially exciting for many reasons. For the first time since we moved out here from the East Coast 4 years ago, I have been able to really get down with cozy, comforting winter food. Soups, stews, roasts and all the best wintery, soul-warming foods.
Soups have been especially exciting to me this year. This one in particular, this Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup, has become one of my personal favorites. Reminiscent of a pot-pie filling, with a bit more broth, it’s creamy and rich, without dairy or grains. Best part, it can be made in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and it’s ready in about 30 minutes, start to finish, but it tastes like it’s simmered away all day. If you want to use already cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken, this soup is ready even quicker. It pressure cooks for just 6 minutes!!
If you aren’t of the lucky millions that already have an Instant Pot pressure cooker and you didn’t get one for Christmas this year like basically everyone that I know, this soup can also be made on the stove top, as well. See the instructions below the recipe.
If you do have an Instant Pot, I want to hear from you guys. Do you want more IP recipes? What’s your favorite thing to cook in your Instant Pot?
- 1 tablespoon Terra Delyssa Olive Oil or ghee
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 10 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs uncooked organic boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs, cubed*
- 5 tablespoons cassava flour, divided (you can also use gf all purpose flour)
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth (I use homemade bone broth)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1½ cups coconut cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to "Sauté" and add your oil or ghee. You will be sautéing without the lid on. Once hot (the indicator will say "hot"), drop in the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms, sauce for 5-7 minutes, until everything is slightly softened. Add the garlic and give it all a good stir.
- While the veggies are sautéing, toss the cubed chicken with 3 tablespoons of the cassava flour (or AP flour) to evenly coat.
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, thyme and rosemary to the Instant Pot. Give it all a stir.
- Turn off the Instant Pot so the sauté mode turns off. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it is locked and the steam valve is closed. Set on manual on high pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once cooking is completed, your Instant Pot will automatically switch over to warm – leave it as is to release the pressure slowly, or if you'd like you quick release the pressure with the valve.
- Once the pressure has released, remove the lid and set the Instant Pot to "Sauté" again, medium.
- Once you have removed the lid, make a quick slurry with the cassava flour. Add about 1 cup of the hot broth to a bowl and whisk with the cassava flour.
- Add the frozen pears, the cassava flour slurry and the coconut cream and let simmer just long enough to thicken the soup, slightly. Serve hot and enjoy.
If you want to use already cooked chicken, use the meat from a whole rotisserie chicken and cook the soup on high pressure for just 6 minutes on high pressure. Everything else is the same.