Ready in no-time, these Grilled Spicy Shrimp and Veggie Skewers are fast, simple, and so crazy-flavorful. Turmeric adds a boost of health benefits and flavor depth to both the marinade and the Pineapple Turmeric Salsa served on the side. This recipe is gluten-free, paleo, whole30 and keto compliant.
This post and recipe were created in partnership with MegaFood®. I am proud to work with brands that care about the health of its consumers and the planet. As always, all opinions, ideas and text are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content like this for Tasty Yummies.
There’s something so special about the food of summer. At our house, we opt for lots of easy-to-make, all-encompassing meals that don’t require too many pots and pans or heating up the kitchen. But more, I LOVE celebrating all the vibrant colors and tastes of the season. And we are ALWAYS down for a grill-centric meal over here.
By now you folks know I am all for getting in ample superfoods and supplements, be it classically in tablet or powder form, tossed into smoothies – I have some very important supplements that are part of my everyday routine, no excuses. That said, there is something I love so much more about foods and supplements working together in harmony. Often, there are other nutrients found in our foods that work symbiotically with these supplements and other nutrients to ensure the best chance for assimilation and absorption.
Turmeric is one of those foods/supplements that I don’t ever miss! I’m serious, I take it every day. I have personally seen improvements in the health of my joints and muscle recovery post-workout by consistently including turmeric in my diet over the past few years*. In fact, I can almost always feel a marked change if I miss even a single dose. It’s pretty wild.
You may recall from my Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Golden Milk* recipe that I talked at length about the importance of turmeric having necessary co-factors to make it most effective and usable by the body. Otherwise you are just taking in a gorgeous golden powder.
So much more than your run of the mill turmeric powder you get in the spice aisle, MegaFood®Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™ combines a blend of whole foods, herbs and extracts, including their FoodState™ Vitamin C, and three powerful blends that include ingredients like tart cherry, holy basil, black pepper extract and antioxidant and polyphenol-rich berries. MegaFood® Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™ is designed to help you bounce back quicker from your daily workouts – it’s truly a one-of-a-kind blend*. The flavor profile is brilliant as well, and I love the taste and it pairs beautifully with the spices in the marinade I created. It’s the perfect complement to the gorgeous pineapple turmeric salsa served alongside. PS I also LOVE using this powder to make a super-fast Golden Milk Latte, without having to worry if I have all the necessary co-factors and complementary nutrients present for adequate absorption! Love this!
You may remember MegaFood® from my post about glyphosate a couple months back, but as a refresher, they are a leading maker of premium supplements made with real, whole foods designed to deliver essential vitamins and minerals. MegaFood® products are Non-GMO, tested for herbicides and pesticides, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, kosher, dairy- and soy-free, and now Glyphosate Residue Free. The brand also recently became certified B Corp, which means they are committed to higher standards of transparency and accountability in their products as well as being a force for social good in the community.
These Shrimp and Veggie skewers are amazing on their own for a light meal with the salsa on the side, but you can also serve it right over a big bed of greens, on top of cauliflower rice or regular rice, zucchini noodles, etc. I like to serve mine with a side of avocado, for additional healthy fats!
This meal is not only delicious and nutritious, but with the boost of additional vitamins, it makes for an especially perfect and beautiful post-workout meal*.
Note: For those that don’t want to mess with skewers, if you have a grill basket, just toss it all in there and simply cook that way, or go stir-fry style on the stove top.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon MegaFood® Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb large wild-caught shrimp, fresh, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups red onion cubes, 1″ pieces
- 1-2 small zucchini, slice into ¼″ circles
- 1 red bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1-2″ pieces
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1½ cups fresh pineapple, diced small
- ¼ cup red onion, diced small
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon MegaFood® Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Juice of one lime
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes, or overnight to prevent them from burning.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients.
- In a large bowl (or re-sealable bag), combine the shrimp, veggies and the pineapple with the marinade. Toss together gently until evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinates, make the salsa in a medium bowl. Combine all of the salsa ingredients and toss well to combine. Give it a taste and adjust any spices, as needed. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill over medium heat. While the grill heats up, thread the shrimp veggies and pineapple onto the skewers, alternating ingredients as you go. Should make around 10 - 12 skewers
- Place the skewers onto the grill and grill 3-5 minutes per side until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Serve the skewers with fresh cilantro and lime juice, Pineapple Turmeric Salsa on the side.
Traditional ground turmeric can be used in place of the MegaFood® Daily Turmeric Nutrient Booster Powder™