By now we’ve all seen and likely enjoyed that that tasty chocolate mousse or pudding, that is actually just avocado, cocoa and a little sweetener. (You can find my recipe for it, terrible photo and all, way back in the TY archives.) That very idea also sparked the creation of these delicious Creamy Chocolate Fudgesicles.
This past week, as I continued to collect the many avocados still available in abundance from the tree in our yard, I was dreaming up creative uses for all the avocados we have. I can never get enough guacamole and my homemade avocado salad dressing is always a favorite, but I was also craving something sweet. I am not sure how or why, but I was instantly inspired to create a creamy, luscious chocolate shake.
I have never been a fan of milkshakes!! Gasp… I know right? There is just something about that much dairy getting sucked through a straw, laced with a year’s worth of sugar that ALWAYS spell disaster for my gut, as it should.
Velvety smooth, rich and sinfully delicious, this Chocolate Shake get it’s creaminess from avocado, rather than ice cream and it’s sweetened only by a few dates (or other sweetener of your choice) and a little melted dark chocolate (your choice of how dark). It brings you some healthy fats from both the avocado and the coconut milk and a load of antioxidants from the raw cacao (read more about the benefits of dark chocolate). Also, shhhh, there’s no dairy in there, so it’s great for all, paleo, vegans, it’s even safe for our nut-free pals. Basically in all it’s delicious glory, it’s like a nutrient-dense chocolate shake, that you can indulge in, without worrying about crappy ice cream or loads of sugar! I promise, it will be love at first sip.
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 cup full-fat organic coconut milk*
- ½ - 1 cup coconut water*
- ¼ cup raw cacao (or regular cocoa powder)
- 4 dates, pitted or 1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener of your choice, to taste, a few drops of stevia or monkfruit are great
- 2 tablespoons melted super dark chocolate or chocolate sauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- pinch sea salt
- collagen peptides or protein powder, optional
- whipped coconut cream or whipped cream, for serving
- cacao nibs, chocolate chips or shavings, for serving
- almond butter for swirling, if that's your thing
- 1 cup ice cubes, or more as necessary
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado from the skin and add all of the ingredients, except the ice, to the pitcher of your high speed blender, starting with 1 cup total liquid. Begin blending and add more coconut water (or other non-dairy milk), as needed, to create the perfect consistency. Add the ice at the end and blend until thick, creamy and frosty.
- Divide between 2 medium glasses or serve 1, large overflowing glass. Serve topped with whipped coconut cream and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
- Note: you can skip the coconut milk and water and opt for almond milk or any other non-dairy milk of your choice to reduce the fat grams, you can also opt for water in place of the coconut water to lower sugar / carbs. Most of the creaminess comes from the avocado.