If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know that I am having a bit of a moment right now with Salsa Macha. It’s a very deeply rooted love affair and I have no shame in the fact that every single breakfast for the last week has featured it, among other meals and snacks.
It’s mostly been simple poached or over easy eggs, baby greens and this beautiful salsa, but last week I was fully missing our Mexican mornings and decided to create a breakfast inspired by our beautiful breakfasts in paradise. These beautiful, single-serve baked eggs feature a bed of lightly cooked baby spinach, that retains a bit of it’s fresh crunch, topped with a flavorful chorizo mixture, 1 or 2 perfectly cooked eggs and finally it’s all finished with the beautiful smoky Salsa Macha.
- 2 teaspoons Terra Delyssa Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chorizo, pork or poultry
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4-8 whole pasture-raised eggs
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- salsa macha
- queso fresca or shredded cheese (optional)
- chives or scallions, thinly sliced
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Preheat oven 350ºF. Lightly grease, with olive oil or butter, four oven-safe ramekins or other oven single-serve baking dishes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic, for a few minutes, then add chorizo, cook for about 8-10 minutes chorizo is completely cooked through, add tomato paste, stir until well incorporated, adding a little water, as needed, to get the paste moving, if necessary. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Add about 1½ cups of baby spinach to each of the four prepared ramekins. Press down and make a nest of sorts. Divide the chorizo mixture among the four dishes on top of the spinach.
- Top each ramekin with 1-2 eggs. Place the ramekins into a large glass baking pan then add enough super hot water to that pan to got partly up the sides of the ramekins. Transfer the baking dish with the ramekins of eggs to the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until desired doneness. The whites should be cooked through but the yolk still soft.