Sometimes it’s the un-recipes, the simple, uncomplicated eats that are the most coveted around here. With fall being a hustling and bustling time, I know we all struggle to slow down, to hit pause even and enjoy the best of the season, but it’s so important. Fall will be over before we know it and we will be in the thick of the holidays. I don’t want to rush it. I want to enjoy every bit(e) of it.
While I have no issues with embracing pumpkin-everything this time of year, I also find that apples don’t get nearly enough of the autumnal love! Probably my most favorite of all the fruits, apples are impeccable this time of year and a source of so many great nutrients, including vitamins A & C and various minerals including lots of potassium, and a solid showing of calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. They are high in fiber and apple pectin has detoxifying qualities, making it used often in cleansing formulas. Apples are a sweet mini-multivitamin of sorts, bringing a little bit of everything. I always recommend apples that are organic and unsprayed, as most conventional apples are heavily sprayed with pesticides.
As always, I recommend fruit (and other sweets) to be eaten separate of larger meals and I also find that consuming a small amount of healthy fat with fruits slows the affects it can have on blood sugar. Apples are lower on the glycemic index than fruits like watermelon, pineapple or ripe bananas, but sugar is sugar and including fat can certainly slow the insulin spike and the following blood sugar drop, that is common in many people.
These little Apple Bites are a great snack. Especially great for the kiddos, during homework time, after a long, day of school! The Pumpkin Spice Coconut Butter is an amazing, tasty, fall-inspired option for including healthy fats and what’s especially great is that this is a nut-free snack, which also makes it great for events and school treats!
You can also have lots of fun with the toppings, we like cacao nibs and toasted sunflower seeds, a little sea salt on some. You can also try chocolate chips, your favorite nuts, shredded coconut, etc.
- 2 medium-sized organic firm apples (I prefer Honeycrisp)
- ½ cup coconut butter (I use homemade)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I use homemade)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- cacao nibs
- toasted sunflower seeds
- shredded coconut
- flaked Maldon sea salt
- toasted or raw nuts, like almonds, walnuts, pecans
- In the bowl of your food processor, add your coconut butter, pumpkin spice, vanilla, sweetener (if using) and a pinch of sea salt. Process until combined.
- Slice the apples into thick rings, remove the seeds if you want to see the pretty stars or just fully remove the core, altogether.
- Spread the spiced coconut butter on each slice, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!