How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

Tutorial Tuesdays // Tasty Yummies
How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

For all of the crazy detailed, tutorials I have shared here, with lots of steps and tons of testing on my part, I equally love super simple, one step DIYs, as well. This week I show you How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter and it seriously couldn’t be any easier. Let’s first clear the air for those of you that don’t know… Pumpkin Butter has no butter in it. No dairy of any kind. Discuss. Seriously though, it’s just that it’s thick like butter I guess? I don’t know who came up with the name.

How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

This super simple recipe requires very little of you. You literally dump the ingredients into your crock pot, stir, turn it on, let it cook. Done. I find the crock pot to be easier than the stove top and because it cooks low and slow, I like the flavor so much better. I do suggest still keeping an eye on the crock pot, since it can stick and you do not want scorched, burnt pumpkin butter, it won’t taste good that way. I personally recommend fresh pumpkin puree, which is stupid easy to make and provides the best flavor, but canned pumpkin will also work perfectly, I have made it both ways and they are both crazy delicious.

How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

This homemade pumpkin butter is literally fall in a jar. The way it smells and the way it tastes, it is everything that is so right about this time of year. Since living in Southern California means I cannot have the beautiful colorful leaves, the crisp cool air, that incredible aroma of fall in the air, then I guess this will have to do.

This Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter is smooth, thick and creamy and tastes very reminiscent of a pumpkin pie. This tasty spread also makes a really thoughtful gift, especially if you make the jar all pretty and add some personalized labels (there is a free download below).

How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

Notes:
you can add more sweetener, if you want it sweeter
if you used canned pumpkin, make sure it is pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling

**please be aware: due to the lack of acidity, the USDA does not recommend that you preserve pumpkin butter by canning it. Here’s a great post from Food in Jars on why pumpkin butter can not be canned.

How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

Ways to Enjoy Your Homemade Pumpkin Butter:

• as a spread on your favorite gluten-free or grain-free toast, muffins, scones or crackers
  • as a dip / spread on fresh fruit, it’s especially yummy on apples
  • add it to your smoothies
  • stirred into oatmeal, overnight oats or chia seed pudding
  • in place of jam on a PB&J sandwich, in fact try an almond butter and pumpkin butter sandwich. you’re welcome.
  • on top of cereal or granola
  • over pancakes or waffles
  • swirl it into yogurt (like homemade coconut yogurt), it would make a super tasty layer in some super yummy parfaits
  • topping on your favorite ice cream (like this vegan pumpkin spice ice cream)
  • heat up some homemade almond milk, add some pumpkin butter and a little coffee or espresso, froth it up BAM Pumpkin Spice Latte
  • as a tasty fall-inspired sweetener in cocktails
  • as a filling or layer in cheesecake or pie
  • a topping for baked brie
  • try it as a sauce in savory dishes like a pasta, casseroles or ravioli, as a pizza sauce or maybe on top of some roast pork
  • just eat that sh*t from the jar with a spoon, you know you wanna

How-to Make Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

BONUS – PRINTABLE LABELS:

Download a customizable version of these labels to print at home to give your homemade pumpkin butter an extra-special personal touch! Grab your printable PDF, simply write your name in under “by:” and fill in the size of your container. That’s it.  DOWNLOAD HERE.

Print these 2.5-inch diameter labels on any Avery brand 22808 template. I used these brown kraft paper labels.

This post contains affiliate links. Beth of Tasty Yummies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

1 Millie l Add A Little October 28, 2014 at 10:18 am

This looks so tasty Beth and such a great gift – I’m sure anyone would be chuffed!

2 DessertForTwo October 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm

This is beautiful, Beth! I make crockpot apple butter all the time, but never pumpkin butter. Genius! I can’t wait to try this :)

3 Megan October 29, 2014 at 7:23 am

LOVE it! Especially the part about “BAM Pumpkin Spice Latte!” I am so in love with that pumpkin almond milk recipe that I want to make it every day and drink it with my coffee. And I wouldn’t even feel bad doing that. I love that the pumpkin butter is PSL “concentrate”. Awesome. I’m not tired of pumpkin in any way yet. Keep it coming!

4 Sara November 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm

This looks great and I’m thinking about making a double batch for Christmas presents! I love the idea of adding bourbon – how much would you suggest I add?

5 Carry November 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I made a larger portion/batch and it’s not thickening up. Do I need to cook it for a lot longer because it’s such a large batch? I’ve had the lid off for the last hour and it’s still doesn’t look right. Thank you!

6 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Hmm, did you use fresh or canned pumpkin? If it is fresh, maybe it just had a bit more water than a canned pumpkin might? If it still won’t thicken, it may just be that your slow cooker doesn’t get as hot as mine did, you could also add it to a pan on the stove to reduce it further there, I know it defeats the purpose of the slow cooker, but that way it will at least be nice and thick. Slow cooker recipes are so hard, since the power of the cookers can vary so wildly. Maybe next time cook on a higher setting?

7 Christy November 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

I am excited to try to make the pumpkin butter but I had a question. I have a spice blend that as al the spices I need for it blended together. Do you think I could use that instead of each individual spice? If so how much of the blend should I use?

Thanks!
Christy

8 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 1, 2014 at 4:12 pm

That will totally work Christy. I would say plan to use about 1-2 tablespoons, depending on how much spiced flavor you like. I like a lot myself, I would start with 1 1/2 tablespoons and likely end up using 2 😉
Hope that helps.

9 Mary-Alice December 20, 2014 at 5:27 am

Beth, I made this yesterday! It is to die for! So delicious. My daughter is visiting for the holidays and we were eating it right out of the crockpot. So easy to make and so incredibly yummy! Thank you!

10 Beth @ Tasty Yummies December 21, 2014 at 4:31 pm

That’s so great to hear Mary-Alice, that makes me so happy. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Thank you!

11 Susan May 19, 2015 at 5:44 am

Can’t wait to try this! Also, love your labels. Would you mind sharing the fonts you used? I would like to use them for additional labels for my canned goods! Thanks!

12 Brook September 10, 2015 at 7:47 pm

How long will this keep since it cannot be canned?

13 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 21, 2015 at 6:50 am

Brook, as it states above: “Store in the refrigerator for approximately 2 to 3 weeks, it can be frozen for up to a year.”

14 april September 15, 2015 at 10:03 am

My pumpkin butter LOOKED like the pictures and smelled AMAZING, but tasted really bad. Unfortunately I had to throw it away. Not sure if I would have fared better using maple syrup instead of honey, but I don’t know if it could have made that much of a difference. I think I will stick to crockpot apple butter!

15 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 21, 2015 at 6:43 am

What tasted bad about it? Not sweet enough? I am sure it could have been saved with more sweetener, rather than throwing out, if that was the case.

16 Rebecca September 27, 2015 at 10:32 am

I wonder if you could substitute Pumpkin pie spice in stead of all the other spices????

17 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 28, 2015 at 11:18 am

Of course, yes, I just prefer to add my own spices to add more or less of my favorite things, but by all means, a pumpkin pie spice would work just as well.

18 Terrie October 16, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I am so going to make this tonight, and tomorrow? WAFFLES!

19 Sacha Whitehead October 21, 2015 at 8:28 am

Wow your pictures are amazing and totally making me drool. I bought some Pumpkin Butter from the store a few months ago. I’d never heard of it before. Now I’m addicted and so I’m going to add this to my have to make list.

20 Sherwood October 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Made this last night/this morning with the vanilla and honey. I wasn’t attentive enough and it did burn… :( I guess it wasn’t too bad (or I’m just crazy… y’know, whatever), as I’m still eating it. I was skeptical of pairing pumpkin with peanut butter, but it’s an amazing pairing! The peanut butter (or bread) actually manages to drown out the tinge of burnt sugar. Or maybe I managed to slop only non-burnt stuff on the bread. No idea. Either way, I can see great potential in this! The spices are STRONG, and I LOVE it! Tastes like pumpkin pie filling (and the burnt sugar reminds me of stuff that burned on the rim of the pie tin). I’ll probably try it again one of these days now that I have a better understanding of what to do, but for now I will enjoy my less than perfect batch. Thanks so much for the recipe!

21 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 24, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I am sorry to hear it burned. Were you cooking on high or low?

22 Sherwood October 24, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I was cooking on low, stirring every few hours. Our crock pot tends to burn things in the bottom corners of each side no matter what temperature, though it seemed like this burned all around the edges, too. Maybe I should try liners?

23 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 26, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Hmmm, I have never used a liner. I think unfortunately with the varying temperatures of crock pots and slow cookers, it could simply be the result of a strong slow cooker. I am sorry that happened.

24 Sherwood October 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm

If I just stir it more often, I think I’ll be fine when/if I make this again. I did kinda make a poor decision in making it during the week, when I had to periodically get out of bed to tend to it. lol

25 Patricia October 22, 2015 at 8:03 pm

You made me lol. Yes, right out of the jar!

26 Jenn October 27, 2015 at 9:28 am

I’m hoping to try this using coconut sugar instead of honey or syrup, for a more “diabetic friendly” version. Any reason you can think of that the coconut sugar won’t work?

27 Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 27, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Nope, I think that coconut sugar will be great and it’ll bring such a nice deep, flavor.

28 Jennifer November 2, 2015 at 3:23 am

When storing in the freezer, what is best to use for storage (container, bags, etc.)? What have you had the best experience with?

29 Bridget November 10, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Can this be doubled or tripled as long as you have a big enough crock pot?

30 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 11, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I don’t see why not 😉

31 Jennifer November 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Hi Beth!
I was wondering if you have ever used this pumpkin butter as a substitute to pumpkin puree for a pumpkin pie? If so how did it turn out?

32 Beth @ Tasty Yummies November 16, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I haven’t really, though it would depend on the recipe. With it being sweetened and already spiced, you would have to take that into consideration.

33 charlotte December 30, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I am curious how to store this if I am going to freeze it. I love the idea of making a large batch but I don’t want to can it and can only use it so fast. I know it is unsafe to use glass or plastic in freezer, is there a better way to freeze it?

34 Tawnia June 8, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I was looking for pumpkin recipes to use up what I canned last fall. I made this today and it’s delicious! Thank you for sharing. I know my crockpot cooks hot (all the new ones do unfortunately) so I just set a timer to remind me to stir every half hour. Now I need to check out your other recipes.