Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding – Gluten-free and Vegan

Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding - Gluten-free and Vegan

Does anyone else find that they crave chocolate more than ever in February? With all the Valentine’s Day recipes in blogs and magazines and all the treats in stores, I feel like I see the stuff everywhere! Of course, a good quality chocolate treat isn’t bad for you, in moderation, but why not a chocolate treat that actually has tons of additional, wonderful health benefits, even?

Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding - Gluten-free and Vegan

Today as part of my ongoing Restricted Diet series with Free People, I am sharing a super simple to make, raw Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding that will knock your socks off. The best part about this pudding, besides it being chocolate, is that you can really make it you own. Select your favorite toppings, add some cinnamon or cayenne for a little heat, whip up some coconut cream for topping, the possibilities are endless.

Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding - Gluten-free and Vegan

This pudding is great as a healthy dessert, a quick snack or even a decadent breakfast. What toppings would you put on you superfood pudding?

Chocolate Chia Seed Superfood Pudding - Gluten-free and Vegan

This recipe was originally shared on the Free People blog BLDG 25.

1 emma February 20, 2014 at 7:35 am

I have to make this. Going to gather ingredients tonight. I feel the same way about chocolate in February!
I love your blog Beth – love your food and your photography and your writing.

2 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Hey Emma, thanks so much for your sweet comment, I am blushing over here 😉

I hope you enjoy this when you make it. It’s a favorite of mine!

3 Lynda Schneider February 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

Definitely making this. When I make chia pudding I grind the seeds a little first and it thickens much faster because sometimes it’s difficult to wait! That doesn’t affect the benefits of the seed does it?

4 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Great tip on grinding the seeds first, I will have to try that. I can’t imagine it would affect the benefits of the seed, but I don’t know for sure. Thanks again for the tip, I can’t wait to try it.

5 sue in CA March 2, 2016 at 1:08 pm

chia seeds retain their nutrition, left whole or ground up.

6 milkburn April 22, 2016 at 2:42 am

Grinding other high omega-3 stuff (flax, hempseed) too far ahead of time can make the omega-3’s oxidize, but if you’re grinding it right before making it, it should be fine.

7 Grace @ Earthy Feast February 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I just saw this on Pinterest and had to click through – it looks amazing! My mom got me a super-sized bag of chia seeds for my birthday so I will be making this! Yum!

8 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Hey Grace – thank you so much. I hope you enjoy this if you make it, it’s one of my favorites. So decadent :)

9 Debbie February 21, 2014 at 5:28 am

I made this a couple years ago with almond chocolate milk and with vanilla almond milk. It is delish and I haven’t made it for a while. Will do it today.

10 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Hey Debbie, isn’t it funny the things you totally forget about making, if it’s been a while? I do that quite often with recipes, circling back around makes them even more fun, if it’s been a while 😉

11 Hiromi February 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm

It is so tasty and simple. I always have chia seeds and coconut milk around. It will now be a staple in my fridge. A little toasted coconut on top was perfect. Thank you.

12 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hiromi – I am so glad you liked it. So simple to make right? I love the toasted coconut too! Thanks for your comment!

13 Helen @ Scrummy Lane February 22, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’ve never made anything with chia before, so what better recipe to start with than a chocolate one! I think I’d put pistachio nuts on top of mine 😉

14 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Chocolate is ALWAYS the best place to start. With everything 😉 I hope you love it. The pistachios on top sounds amazing. Great idea.

15 Elaine March 1, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I made this today with a can of full-fat coconut milk (Thai brand), and upped the chia seed quantity to 1/3 cup and the cocoa to 4 Tbsp (because of the larger volume of milk). So good. So good. I reckon one could make all kinds of healthy variations to this recipe.

Thanks for all your bright ideas that keep me stuffing my face with nutrition-rich desserts!

16 Lucy March 14, 2014 at 7:03 am

Just tried this the other day, wow! So good!! I’m trying to reduce my sugar intake and the fact this doesn’t need any effort is great. Been making it in tupperware containers to take to work and have now converted others to it :) Thanks for sharing this.

Have you read the Born to Run book?

17 Lucy March 14, 2014 at 7:04 am

Oh & p.s I added some carob to the cocoa and it makes it just as rich and adds a little sweetener without needing to add syrup or dates.

18 Kate January 16, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Oh my gosh- just made this for the first time today, and it’s amazing! I swapped out the maple syrup for zest, juice and pulp of half and orange, and is was great. I reckon next time I’ll add a bit more cacao though, and made some ground vanilla or other spices. Anyone who tried grinding the chia seeds, did it make the pudding a little smoother?

19 Debi March 12, 2015 at 5:56 am

I made this last night and let it sit overnight. This morning I found all the chia seeds sunk to the bottom and the liquid was not thickened .. what did I do wrong?

20 amy March 31, 2015 at 1:54 am

Yum!! I found this set super quickly? It was in a pudding like state before it even went in the fridge.
Either way, I just had some and it was super delicious.
Thanks for sharing :-)

21 Ellen March 31, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Love this recipe! Do you know how long it would last in the fridge for?

22 Beth @ Tasty Yummies March 31, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Thanks! I would say 2 to 3 days max.

23 Lynn S April 21, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I love chia puddings and lately, this is my favorite one! Thanks for sharing the recipe. 😉

24 Lili Yogini May 21, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Is the syrup/honey needed for consistency or just for sweet? I can only use stevia for sweetener, wonder if this would be able to adapt? Thanks!

25 Christine Whitfield October 26, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I have just made this from home almond milk, looking forward to having it in the morning.

26 Christine Whitfield October 27, 2015 at 1:45 am

that would be the best pudding i have tasted.

27 Adele December 6, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I had this with semi frozen strawberries as its hot here this morning! OMG delicious. Was turned off chia buy a product in the supermarket which were revolting.

Now I”m back on the chia train. So easy and my 3 year old didn’t mind it either. Look forward to trying some different variations!

28 Nonnie January 31, 2016 at 4:15 am

Delicious. Loved it

29 Marcia Foster March 1, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Delicious can’t wait to make it!!!

30 Kay May 12, 2016 at 3:52 am

Can I use something else other than maple syrup or honey? (really don’t like the taste of them as a replacement sweetner)
Could I use glucose syrup instead? Or home-made sugar syrup?

31 Hannah May 19, 2016 at 5:15 am

What is the nutritional value of this?

32 Beth @ Tasty Yummies May 19, 2016 at 10:31 am

I don’t supply nutritional facts, but you are welcome to plug the ingredients into one of the many free nutritional calculators online to get the results, if this is important to you.

33 Li July 4, 2016 at 1:16 am

That “11 /4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk” is a typo (and should be 1/4 cup) or on purpose?

34 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 12, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Just bad spacing it is 1 and 1/4 cup total. Thanks for letting me know.