Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco “Meat” (Gluten-free and Vegan)

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

There are so many things to love about Southern California – the year-round beautiful weather, the sunshine, the incredible varying produce was have access to throughout the year, the beaches, mountains, hiking trails – I could go on and on. But, one of my very favorite things is that I can have a vegetable garden growing year round. I am not sure I will ever get used to that or ever take it for granted. When I was planting the seeds for my winter garden, I was convinced there was no way it would work. It seemed impossible to this New York girl. I am used to a growing season that lasts from May to, if you are lucky, October. And this is barring no major unseasonal frosts.

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

I planted a bunch of goodies from seeds right at the end of fall – peas, broccoli, leeks, carrots, radishes, lettuces, kale, spinach and Swiss chard. Not everything has grown perfectly, I am still learning what does well in my soil and what doesn’t, but my Swiss chard is one of the many that did amazing. Since we had a pretty hot and dry December and January, everything got off to a slow start. Then, suddenly one day, after my yoga teacher training program ended and I had been too busy to check on things all month, I went outside to see that everything had a major growth spurt, especially my beautiful chard.

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

I find Swiss chard to be so beautiful. Those leaves have that lovely contrasting, vibrantly colored stem and the surface of the leave is so perfect. It is so gorgeous growing out in my garden that I almost hate to pick it. Almost.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy big leafy greens like this are as wraps. You can use lettuce like romaine, bibb or butter (or other varieties), kale, collard greens are really nice and of course, Swiss chard. I have made all types of fillings for my wraps, I love a chickpea and feta salad, hummus, an herbed white bean spread is another favorite and I really enjoy a raw walnut “meat”, too.

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

Raw walnut “meat” always amazes me, no matter how I serve it or flavor it. It’s delicious in wraps, on sandwiches, salads, inside of tacos, etc. This particular recipe has spices and flavors to mimic taco meat, but you can change it up and spice it any way you’d like.

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)
These wraps are the perfect lunch and they are even great on-the-go or for a picnic. The veggies on top can really be whatever you’d like. I love the creaminess of the avocado and the color from the carrot ribbons. My smokey tomato vinaigrette is a perfect topping, but you can also enjoy your favorite cashew cream, like this chipotle cashew cream.

However you dress these wraps up, they are super crunchy and fresh and so satisfying.

Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

Swiss Chard Wraps with Raw Walnut Taco "Meat" (gluten-free and vegan)

1 Sherrie | With Food + Love February 19, 2014 at 7:50 am

Beth! I LOVE this. Yet another perfect recipe for my plant-eating clients.

Pinning now!

XO SHERRIE

2 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Thank you so much, Sherrie ;) You are the best. xoxo

3 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet February 19, 2014 at 8:37 am

This is gorgeous! I love making walnut taco meat, it is my favorite!!

4 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Meg!! Yeh us, too! I still cannot get over that Mark will eat it.

5 Brandy @ A Mindful Mantra February 20, 2014 at 7:15 am

So cool! I have to try using the walnut “meat”. I am on the paleo diet (to help candida issues) and sometimes I feel so bogged down eating meat daily. I definitely could use a meat-free “meat”!

6 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Brandy! You totally have to try it, I know you will love it. I can’t do meat every day, myself, it is quite taxing on my digestion, so I am always looking for great alternatives, especially ones that hubby will enjoy with me.

7 Grace @ Earthy Feast February 20, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Ahh! This looks almost too pretty to eat!

8 tastyyummies February 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks so much, Grace ;)

9 Natalie Shriber February 23, 2014 at 1:45 pm

This was absolutely delish!!! I am already excited about the leftovers! Didn’t have swiss chard so used romaine instead and added 2 teaspoons of honey to the dressing to cut the tang/acidity- will definitely be making this again! Thank you so much for the delicious inspiration.

10 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I am so so glad you enjoyed it, Natalie. haha I love when you have leftovers to look forward too. Though mine tend to call me from within my fridge, taunting me until I eat every last bite ;) Thanks for your lovely comment. xo

11 Ashley March 2, 2014 at 10:55 am

When you say soak the walnuts, is that in water? I’ve never used nuts as a meat substitute so I’m not sure how to prepare them. These look delicious and I can’t wait to make them!

12 tastyyummies March 2, 2014 at 11:38 am

Oh yes sorry, soaked in more than enough water to cover them :)

13 Sandra March 13, 2014 at 10:10 am

Oh my, best lunch ever! I even forgot to put the vinegarette on I was so excited to start eating. The vingarette is fabulous on salads so I’m betting it will make the wrap even better (if that is possible). Thanks!