Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde {Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly}

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

I have really come to love my slow cooker over the years. Crock Pot cooking is one of my favorite ways to make easy dinners, especially recipes that make multiple meals. I have said it before and I will say it again – a meal made in a slow cooker is just about the closest I may ever come to a personal chef. I load it up in the morning and by dinnertime the house is filled with incredible aromas and all I have to do is set the table and serve. It is amazing.

I have shared many plant-based slow cooker recipes here on Tasty Yummies, over the years. Like this Butternut Squash and Chickpea Coconut Curry or this Chipotle Black Bean and Quinoa Crock-Pot Stew, which is a reader favorite. I also have a simple recipe for Slow-Cooked Black Beans, that are great for vegan tacos or it can just be pureed into an amazing soup. Speaking of soup, this comforting Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup can be made with or without ham, to be vegan. Or for a really different Crock Pot experience, try my Creamy Crock-Pot Pumpkin Risotto recipe.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

Since I have shared so many plant-based Crock Pot recipes, I thought it was time to share a meat-based recipe since, I know many of you are like me and do eat meat from time-to-time. Plus, when I asked on my Facebook page, a good majority of you were lookin’ for a “meaty” recipe. I had tons of ideas I was working on, but I had a beautiful locally-raised whole organic chicken that I thought would be perfect to create something different with. I thought about making my Chicken and White Bean Chili again with the whole chicken, but then I saw the beautiful tomatillos at the market and came up with the idea for this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

This post is extra special – because it’s actually a two-part recipe. Besides the amazing chile verde, first – I have a super simple salsa verde/sauce that can just be used as-is, a salsa perfect for dipping your favorite corn tortilla chips into, or even better, served warm in this amazing chile verde or it’d also be great as a topping for homemade veggie enchiladas. So many possibilities. This salsa verde is just loaded with amazing fresh flavors, so bright and unique. You could certainly use the tomatillos raw if you wish, but I have found that roasting the tomatillos first really brings out their incredibly bright flavor. I have a feeling I will be making homemade salsa verde way more often now. It was so easy.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

This Chicken Chile Verde is just amazing as-is, served hot in a bowl as a stew. Top it with some fresh cilantro and green onions, a dollop of cultured sour cream and you are good to go. It would also be incredible served over rice with a side of beans. Or maybe inside your favorite flour or corn tortillas for a burrito, tacos or enchiladas. Oh and guys, one word… NACHOS!! We used some of the leftovers and spooned it over tortilla chips with some melted cheese over them, I added some chopped tomatoes, an avocado, green onions and cilantro and it made the most amazing nachos ever. It was decadent and amazing, to say the least. My husband may never eat another dinner at our house again, now that he knows that nachos are possible.

To me, no matter how you eat this chicken chile verde – this is comfort food at it’s finest. Plus, any recipe that produces multiple meals, that is one you can be sure will be made time and time again in our house. Oh and in the event you don’t want to eat leftovers throughout the week, this would also freeze very nicely.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde - Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo-friendly

// this post contains affiliate links //

1 Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen February 12, 2014 at 6:57 am

This is the best reminder ever that I need to start using my slow cooker again! What a great dinner!

2 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Kelli. Yeh I forget about mine too, from time to time, but it’s soo fun to pull it out and get creative. They are so amazing.

3 Priscilla | ShesCookin February 12, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Great recipe! I’m in SoCal too – Huntington Beach – and glad I found you on the WWW!

4 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Awesome! Just up the road. I am in Long Beach! So happy you found me, Priscilla. I am off to check out your blog now ;)

5 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet February 13, 2014 at 7:07 am

Stunning recipe and gorgeous photos Beth!! That salsa verde is making its way to my table ASAP.

6 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Thanks so much, lady! Yeh, I think a homemade roasted salsa verde is gonna be a weekly thing over here. ;)

7 Brandon February 15, 2014 at 9:58 pm

The salsa verde has a great taste and simple to prepare. The chicken chili verde is so good. The whole family loved it. I used boneless skinless chicken breast and it turned out really well.

8 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 3:06 pm

So glad you enjoyed it Brandon and I am happy to hear that it worked out really well with the chicken breast!

9 Margaret February 18, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I made this last night and my husband and I loved it! I didn’t have the time/ingredients to make my own salsa verde, but I bet it’s even better that way and can’t wait to try it sometime. I wanted it soupy so I only used two boneless skinless chicken breasts, and I added some hominy. One of my new favorite meals!

10 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Hey Margaret, I am glad to hear that it still came out really good, even without the homemade version of the salsa verde. Ooh and the addition of the hominy is brilliant!! Thanks for the comment ;)

11 PetiteFromage February 22, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I can’t seem to find tomatillos anywhere! Would regular tomatoes suffice as a substitute?

x

12 tastyyummies February 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I would suggest that you just purchase a good quality jar of salsa verde instead of using the fresh tomatillos to make your own. Regular tomatoes would completely change the entire recipe and I cannot say for sure if it would be any good. Tomatoes and tomatillos are very different.

13 PetiteFromage March 1, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Thank you so much! Will try it tonight :D

14 Shannon Wallace April 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Beth, I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog! You’re a blessing! I made this in my crock pot yesterday for my family and dinner guests. Yumtastico! Everyone enjoyed it alongside quinoa, black beans and sliced avocado. :-) I’m gradually weeding out wheat and trying to eat more paleo-ish, and your blog is making this possible. Thank you!

15 Amanda Paa April 12, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Definitely going to be making this! I canned tomatillo salsa during the summer, one of my favorites.

16 Lindsey @ DishingUpHope May 31, 2014 at 7:25 am

Love these fresh ingredients! Pinning this now to add to future meal plans. Thanks!

17 Noelle July 4, 2014 at 4:34 am

Could you add a print friendly version to your recipes PLEASE!

18 Beth @ Tasty Yummies July 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

Noelle are you not seeing the “print recipe” button above this recipe? It’s right there. Super easy to print from.

19 Noelle July 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Thanks!! I looked and looked before. It was hiding. Love your stuff!

20 PCSkima September 29, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I love this. I have never used tomatilos, fresh cilantro or fresh jalapenos. my house smells like dinner! made the verde and using in the crock pot right now with 4 pounds of organic, skinless, boneless chicken breast. A word to the wise for those like me — DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE AFTER CUTTING JALAPENOS!!! OMG my face burns and it’s been 2 hours!! haha