Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites (Dairy-free with Vegan option)

Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites

We go to Disneyland a lot, we have season passes, it is just up the road and it’s magical – so duh, why wouldn’t we? Disney is super gluten-free friendly. I can always find multiple options there and no matter which restaurant I select, they send the chef out to speak with me directly about my intolerances and allergies, to tell me what my options are. It’s so comforting to feel so safe with my food outside of my home. Of course, if you know me, I always want more. Those carts that sell the Mickey Mouse shaped pretzels, they just kill me. Disney doesn’t have gluten-free soft pretzels and I don’t blame them, it isn’t a simple feat. My hubby loves getting those tempting hot pretzels and it has created a nearly year-long craving for me. I had plans of making pretzels in October some time for Oktoberfest, but that month somehow got away from me. The craving however has only got stronger.

I finally had an entire day alone in the kitchen to play with a gluten-free soft pretzel recipe. However, rather than fight with a gluten-free dough to make traditional twisted pretzels, I have done that before, it just ends in me being angry and frustrated, I decided the shape is less important than the taste and texture! I just wanted that traditional yummy soft pretzel taste to shove in my face, no matter the shape or size. So, soft pretzel bites became the clear winner!

Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites

Please trust me when I ask you not to get overwhelmed by the ingredients and instructions on this recipe. I know it seems like a lot, I am sure it seems like many steps, but the moment they come out of that oven and you bite into one that’s still warm with it’s both soft and chewy inside a slightly crispy outside, you will forget how much time you spent making them. The day I was working on this recipe, I made them THREE times! THREE. In less than 8 hours. I was in the kitchen all day making pretzels and it was never that bad or overwhelming, I got into a bit of a rhythm and it never felt like too much work. The hardest part for me was getting the measurements just right, and that work has been done for you already, after that – they are surprisingly easy.

Something to note about this recipe, I offer both the option to make these with a custom flour blend or with a pre-made all-purpose blend. Both turned out great. I found the custom blend to have just a tad bit more of a whole-grain type texture, it’s very subtle, likely from the different flours. Whereas the pretzels made with the all-purpose blend were a tad bit lighter in color and had less of a grain texture to them. (the all-purpose blend pretzels are the ones in the photos). Both were very good and I couldnt choose one over the other if I had to. The pre-made all-purpose flour blend I used has xanthan gum in it and I honestly didn’t notice a huge different in the texture, I think the psyllium husk provides that nice chewy texture on it’s own, so the gum isn’t as important one way or another.

Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites (dairy-free with vegan option)

Also, don’t worry if your dough doesn’t feel like gluten dough, it shouldn’t. Let it be it’s own thing. The nice thing about gluten-free dough is that it is very forgiving and you can take a little water on your hands and fix any tears in the dough as you go along.

These gluten-free soft pretzel bites are the best I have had yet. They are soft and chewy, with a nicely browned outer crust. They are so good warm dipped in a whole grain mustard, with an ice cold beer or cider on the side. I cannot wait to hear what you guys think of these.

Gluten-free Soft Pretzel Bites

Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links

1 Lynn Richards December 2, 2013 at 6:56 am

Oh my!!!! I learned how to make these helping in my daughter’s cooking class in school only now I can’t eat them as they were all made out of white flour. Hooray!!! They will be back in my kitchen!!!!!
xo
Lynn

2 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet December 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

Whoa! These photos are seriously gorgeous and I know that these were tasty because I stuffed my face with them at your house.:) Thanks for the drool fest this morning…now I am going to have to make a batch of my own.

3 Lexi @ Lexiscleankitchen.com December 2, 2013 at 8:43 am

Oh these sound absolutely incredible! I cannot wait to try!

4 Laura December 2, 2013 at 9:34 am

THANK YOU! This has been my latest pregnancy craving and I have not been able to satisfy my that craving! I can’t wait!

5 Shawnda December 2, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thank you for all the hard work with these! These look amazing and I cannot wait to make these for my daughter. My first attempt with another recipe had me near tears, took 2 hours and only produced 2 salvageable pretzels, I simply love the idea of cutting them down into bites- genius. Thank you!

6 Brandy @A Mindful Mantra December 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Great photos – these looks amazing! I’ve been waiting for a good gluten free soft pretzel recipe!

7 Jenny December 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

Just wondering what whole psyllium husk is and what does it look like and where do I find it? Thanks!!!

8 Laura December 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm

What made you use psyllium husk? I have never used it and would like to learn more about it.

9 Jennifer February 16, 2014 at 8:55 am

Psyllium husk is used in many bread-like options. Some recipes call for it ground so you just put it in a coffee grinder. It makes things chewy. :)

10 Kelli December 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Just finished making these and they are DELICIOUS! It’s been 4 years since I’ve had a soft pretzel and these hit the spot. I used King Arthur GF Flour and was able to find psyllium husks in the vitamin section. I stuck to recipe and directions and everything turned out perfect….YUM!!! Thanks for posting this!

11 Erin @ Meaningful Eats December 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Oh my goodness! I made these yesterday and they were perfect! Totally satisfied my craving. I frozen half of them and plan on baking them up as an appetizer on Christmas Day. Thanks for a perfect recipe. You rock!

12 Elizabeth December 28, 2013 at 8:11 am

Another question about psyllium husks. Until I can find them, will this work without them? Anything I should/could sub for them? I have flax and chia and some other seeds. Thanks!

13 tastyyummies January 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I cannot say for sure if it will work without the psyllium husk or with those substitutes, I have ONLY made them with the psyllium husk, never without. I guess all I can say is feel free to experiment and report back, I unfortunately cannot make any promises about the recipe if you change it. Thanks!

14 Erin February 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I just made these today for the superbowl, and I searched up and down my specialty, non-chain grocery store for psyllium husk but could not find it. I even looked in the vitamin section as another poster suggested. So I used ground flaxseed, and the consistency was still on target as well as the taste. So I think at least flax can make a good sub.

15 tastyyummies February 3, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Erin, thanks for the comment. I am happy to hear that the recipe still worked quite well with the ground flaxseed. I am so glad you enjoyed these. Thank you!

16 Elizabeth February 4, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks Erin! I still haven’t tried them, so I’m thrilled to know flax worked :) They are at the very top of the list of new things, have been for weeks, but since we have multiple allergies and have to cook everything ourselves treats sometimes don’t get made. Hoping to this weekend :)

17 Erin February 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm

and, Beth. thank you for posting this recipe. It was very delicious, and I very much enjoyed my first pretzel making experience :)

18 Amani January 26, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I’m excited and nervous, currently making these right now using King Arthur flour and substituting xantham gum for Psyllium husk . Keeping my fingers crossed :)

19 tastyyummies January 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Heyy there Amani, please let me know how they come out. Xanthan Gum doesn’t necessarily have the same properties as psyllium husk, so I am very curious to see how it does in the recipe. If you did an exact substitution, that is an awful lot of xanthan gum, but who knows maybe it will work just perfectly. I cannot wait to hear the results. Thanks!

20 Jennifer February 16, 2014 at 8:53 am

New to gluten-free for my husband, wonder if pretzel pizza crust might be a good thing? Can’t wait to try.

21 jen February 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Just made these with my husband, first attempt was an epic fail, we forgot both the xantham gum and the psyllium husk, added both ingredients to the next batch, which was a huge success! Thank you so much for this recipe!

22 Nikki February 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm

have you tried this with psyllium husk powder rather than the whole husk? I will get both, but I was curious :)

23 tastyyummies February 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I haven’t yet, but I really want to. I only recently played with psyllium husk powder and I really loved how it reacts in recipes. I will definitely report back if I do, and you do the same, if you do ;)

24 Shari @ Simply Shari's Gluten Free February 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks.

25 jenell February 27, 2014 at 8:24 am

i can not wait to try this recipe.I love pretzels. love lovethem.iam going to try them with my grandchildren . so i be writing back to let you know how they turn out.

26 Andrea February 28, 2014 at 8:48 am

Wow — so good! Living in Vietnam, it’s super difficult to find pre-made GF products (especially of the homemade variety)! I used flax seed meal and it worked out perfectly!

27 Christine March 15, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Looks amazing in the picture. Tried making it tonight and it did not turn out.
I will try another time with a different gluten free flour.
Thanks for posting

28 tastyyummies March 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Christine, bummer I am sorry to hear it. What flour did you use? Sadly there is no possible way for me to test it with every flour out there and each flour blend varies so much, there is just no way to account for all the differences. Did you keep everything else exactly the same?

29 Lisa March 16, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I see you use psyllium husk in your recipe. Do you know this is wheat.

30 tastyyummies March 17, 2014 at 6:55 am

Hey Lisa, I am not sure where you received that information but it isn’t true.
Psyllium fiber comes from the outer coating, or “husk” of the psyllium plant’s seeds. It is not wheat, and is therefore gluten free.

31 Kylene March 29, 2014 at 8:21 pm

WOW!!! I just now finished making these and I am floored! I am a 22 year old experimental baker and health nut. These are simple enough for anyone to make. They were a little tedious with the baking soda bath, but WORTH IT! I did completely vegan and they are delicious! I recommend this to anyone who likes pretzels but can’t do dairy or gluten. I will use this recipe again. And the instructions here are very helpful! THANK YOU!!!

32 Emily April 8, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Where can you bur psyllium husk powder

33 Barb Branigan August 22, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I have made these several times and now I get request to make them for all gatherings. My friends were shocked to find out they were gluten free. Thank you so much for the recipe.

34 Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 25, 2014 at 8:59 am

That makes me sooo happy to hear Barb!! I love it.

35 Aimee September 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

Wow! I will say that they do take quite a while to make but they are SO good that it’s worth the time! My biggest complaint about being GF is that the bread mixtures are NEVER right. They’re so dry I can’t choke them down. Not these! I am going to use this recipe to make pretzel buns with for hot ham sandwiches. MMMMMM. THANK YOU for experimenting your heart out with these and sharing the recipe with all of us!

36 Janet Fazio September 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

Now that football season is back in full swing, I’m going to try these. Thanks to Kelly for the King Arthur flour blend recommendation. I’ve been using Cup 4 Cup, but not entirely thrilled with it.