Cranberry Kale Smoothie {Gluten-free, Vegan and Sugar-free}

Cranberry Kale Smoothie {Gluten-free and Vegan}

Most of the time, as of late, I am struggling to believe it’s mid-November. Sure the calendar says so, there are lots of holiday decorations at the stores, I even saw the pictures from the first snow my family and friends got earlier in the week in NY. But, being my first year here in Southern California – the excessive sunshine and warmer temperatures are making it really hard for me to believe we are just a few weeks out from Thanksgiving. I have been a tad concerned that it would be hard to get into the holidays this year, with this new drastic change in lifestyle and scenery.

Fall in SoCal

On my run to the beach yesterday morning, I passed by a home with a huge tree with beautifully vibrant leaves, falling so haphazardly all over their yard. The tree was more bare than not. I was mid-run and had a really great stride going, but I had to stop and take it all in. Snap a photo or two. It’s the little things in life, this like, that I may have once took for granted, that can now literally stop me dead in my tracks, leaving me with an immense amount of gratitude. I wonder how many people pass that very tree in a day, not realizing just how special it is. It is maybe one of just a few trees like it in our entire neighborhood. Only the second that has caught my attention.

Thankfully, regardless of the visual cues, the produce in our weekly CSA and at the markets remind me that we are nearing the winter. Squashes and greens and all that other good wintery stuff! I saw some beautiful fresh organic cranberries at the market earlier in the week and I had to have them. I didn’t have any one particular idea in mind of what I wanted to make, but rather a whole bunch. A smoothie was the very first that came to mind once I got them home, featuring some of the beautiful kale we got in our CSA.

This smoothie has an amazing flavor with a little tartness from the cranberries, much like the tartness you would get from adding yogurt to a smoothie. The subtle sweetness from the banana and the dates offset it nicely and the hint of cinnamon is so warming and pleasant. As a self-proclaim Christmas junkie, I especially liked the flecks of red from the cranberries paired with the green from the kale. So appropriate in helping me get into the holiday mood and perfect for a post-run breakfast!

If you live somewhere warm, how do you get into the holiday mood?

Cranberry Kale Smoothie {Gluten-free and Vegan}

1 Dawn November 14, 2013 at 7:32 am

What kind of blender do you use to make your smoothies? This one looks particularly good.

2 tastyyummies November 14, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thanks so much Dawn. I use this blender: http://amzn.to/19nxLMQ

3 Annina November 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

So you don’t need a Vitamix?? I have a Ninja, and it sucks. Does this blender do kale and the like well?

4 tastyyummies November 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Yeh my blender does great with kale and cashew creams, soups, etc. Sometimes I find loading a bit less in and doing it in batches, is the best, but generally I can make it work with whatever I am making.

5 Brandy @A Mindful Mantra November 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

I rarely think to put cranberries in my smoothies. Thanks for the reminder :)

6 John November 14, 2013 at 11:51 am

I’ve had a really similar smoothie few weeks back, but without the ground cinnamon. It was pretty good, now I want to try with the cinnamon to see how much difference it will make.

7 Kim Oldenburgh November 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

This sounds great. Where do you get coconut cream? I’m going to make this over the weekend. My neighbors have a bunch of kale to give me!

8 Simply called food November 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I think I’ll make one tomorrow with the kale I have in my fridge! Looks amazingly refreshing and as usual you have great picture!

9 Marianne November 15, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I’m just discovering, and very much loving your blog. I’m trying to healthify myself with whole, clean foods, so this yummy smoothie has gone on my list!

10 Hari Chandana November 18, 2013 at 3:39 am

Sounds too good.. love the color :)

11 Sherrie | With Food + Love November 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’ve never thought of putting cranberries into a smoothie – duh, brilliant!

Sharing this recipe for sure :)

XO SHERRIE

12 Danielle November 20, 2013 at 6:56 am

Recently came across your blog and so happy I did. While I have made many of your recipes this one has been a great addition to my morning smoothies. Never thought to add cranberries!
I used spinach this morning since I used up all my kale and threw in some shredded unsweetened coconut since I used almond milk. So good and I kinda want it all the time now…thanks!

13 Michele January 16, 2014 at 5:14 pm

This looks so yummy going to try it this weekend. And it seems so simple to make. Thanks for sharing.

In Beauty & health
Michele

14 Jessica February 26, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Cranberries in a smoothie… Genius! Thx for sharing. I’ve been on a kale smoothie kick lately.