Vegan Pumpkin “Cheesecake” Pops {Grain-free, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free}

Vegan Pumpkin "Cheesecake" Pops {Grain-free, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free}

I love when a recipe I create ends up inspiring countless others. The reach one simple idea can have is so fun and I love seeing and playing with all the different possibilities. In the summer, I created a No-Bake Vegan “Cheesecake” recipe for a 4th of July celebration. That recipe inspired Meg of Beard and Bonnet to create a delicious chocolate chip crust version and from there she created a Key Lime “Cheesecake” Truffle, that in turn gave me the idea of creating these delicious Autumn-inspired pumpkin spiced “cheesecake” pops! Phew! I love it. I can only imagine all that is to come from here with this idea.

Vegan Pumpkin "Cheesecake" Pops {Grain-free, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free}

Honestly, I don’t know if I will ever stop being so amazed at all of the delicious things you can make with cashews. I love making various cream sauces for tacos or pasta and the fun you can have with desserts, like these cake pops, are endless. Whoever first came up with the idea to soak cashews and turn them into cream, they should be in some foodie hall-of-fame somewhere. (Does that exist? Because if it doesn’t, it should!)

These Pumpkin “Cheesecake” Pops are not nearly as complicated to make as what the different groups of instructions below leads you to believe. They are quite easy. There is no baking required and it takes more time to wait for the pops to set, then to do anything else. I have served these to several non-vegan, non-gluten free people now. Actually come to think of it, besides myself, those are the only people that have eaten these. “Regular eaters”. Every last one loved them and they just couldn’t believe they were totally vegan and grain-free!

Vegan Pumpkin "Cheesecake" Pops {Grain-free, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free}

The filling is creamy and has a nice, but not overpowering, pumpkin spice flavor and the simple chocolate coating hardens quite quickly which gives a nice contrast to the creamy center. As these sit (covered) in the fridge for a few days after you make them, the outer chocolate coating will get softer, but it is still delicious, just a bit less crunch.

If you you follow a paleo diet, I believe you have yourself a fun seasonal and “safe” treat! (You can swap out the maple syrup for honey, if you prefer and aren’t vegan.)

Vegan Pumpkin "Cheesecake" Pops {Grain-free, Gluten-free + Refined Sugar-Free}

1 Meg @ Beard and Bonnet October 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh yeah… I am in love with these! They put my key lime truffles to shame. Thanks for the link love:) I am going to have to make these ASAP.

2 Erin Stewart October 2, 2013 at 1:08 pm

These look incredible. I cannot wait to try them! I love when fall comes around and we get to see all the pumpkin recipes on our favorite blogs. =) Thanks for sharing!

3 melissa @ my whole food life October 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm

These look AMAZING! Beautiful photos too. Pinning!

4 Brandy October 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

Wow these look delicious. Can’t wait to try them myself. I am obsessed with all things pumpkin!

5 The Peace Patch October 8, 2013 at 12:53 am

I’d love to try these with a butterscotch coating too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6 Alexandra October 8, 2013 at 7:44 am

Looks amazing!!!! So excited to try it out :)

fitnessfootprintblog.com

7 Lindsey the vivacious vegan! October 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Oh my gosh I need these! I think I might make mine in bars though, I have bad luck with pops, lol.

8 Kim Stevenson October 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm

At the very begining of the recipe instructions it says, “place the raw cashews and the remaining in a food processor or blender with the remaining ingredients.” By “remaining” (the first one) you mean water?

9 tastyyummies October 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Good catch Kim, nope that was just me mistyping. It should only be the remaining ingredients. No water. You want to drain and rinse the cashews first. Sorry about that and thanks for catching it. I have updated it already. ;)

10 Mary Speidel October 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I made these in a silicon canneles mold. Let them freeze to the ball making point. Unmolded them and added the stick and froze again on a baking sheet. Worked perfect in the mold, a bit larger portion though, certainly a full dessert. Yummy!

11 sam619 October 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I bookmarked your page. I will definitely come back for updates. Please post more vegan and gluten free cake balls/pops

12 Kate October 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Made these with leftover pumpkin puree. OMG. SO. GOOD. I like Lindsey’s idea of making them into bars next time. Either way, they are gonna be DEVOURED! :)

13 Jenifer October 18, 2013 at 7:35 am

For the pumpkin filling, are the 6 tablespoons of coconut oil supposed to me measured at room temp or melt it first then measure?

14 tastyyummies October 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Great questions Jenifer, I have done it both ways and both have worked. It is a pretty flexible measurement, so whatever works easier for you ;)

15 Jenifer October 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks! I ended up using it in the solid form. Just formed my balls and they are in the freezer. I am going to make them as truffles instead of cake pops. Can’t wait to take them to my paleo friend’s party tomorrow night. I am so glad I found your website. Great recipes!!

16 Sariana October 21, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I will love to make this. I already have some homemade cashew cream. How much should I use?

17 tastyyummies October 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hi Sariana, I unfortunately cannot give you that answer to that question, since I have never made these with already made cashew cream, only with the freshly soaked cashews using the measurements above. I would be afraid that with it already being made, there is no way to account for how much liquid is in your cashew cream and it could not turn out quite the same. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

18 Dawn @Transformed By Food October 25, 2013 at 7:02 am

These are amazing! I love that you can make these ahead of time and freeze them.

Talk about inspiring others, since I loved this recipe so much, I was able to create a few different desserts with it. Since I had leftover chocolate coating and fresh fruit, I used it as fondue, and even saved some chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge for the next day. Then, I realized I could use ice cube trays, baking pans, and muffin tins to change the shape, which is fun for kids, and the variety looks great on a plate, too. I’d been looking for dark chocolate that was free of common allergens, refined sugar, and additives for so long, and here it is! I can’t thank you enough.

I also challenged myself to turn the pops into a double chocolate whammy, so I created Dark Chocolate Coconut Truffles. So, I’m so glad I stumbled upon this recipe. Keep up the great work!

FYI – I focus on food allergen/grain/dairy/sugar free recipes. They are usually Paleo friendly. So many people think Paleo and vegan are miles apart, but when it comes to preparing veggies, they have a lot in common. I love to connect the dots between the two. Makes cooking a lot more interesting!

Best of luck to you, Beth. And thanks again!