Grain-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches – Gluten-free + Dairy-free

Grain-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

I realized earlier this summer that it had been years since I have had an ice cream sandwich. While working an event, I came across a food truck that specialized in just ice cream sandwiches and they actually had a gluten-free and dairy-free option for someone like me. YAY! It was delicious, messy and probably loaded with sugar and lots of other stuff I prefer not to eat. It immediately got the gears turning in my head. I wanted to make a healthy ice cream sandwich myself and I of course just needed to find the time to actually play with some recipe ideas.

I know we have all seen the one or two ingredient banana ice cream that has been making it’s rounds all over the internet for the last two years. If you haven’t tried it yet, you must. Stop what you are doing right now, put those bananas in the freezer and make some yummy healthy ice cream. It is simple to make and sooo surprisingly creamy and delicious. I realized it would make the perfect ice cream sandwich filling since it is creamy, simple to make and literally has nothing more than bananas in it. A great compliment to some grain-free dairy-free cookies!

I am sharing the cookie recipe over on Free People today as part of my ongoing Restricted Diets series with them and so I expanded on the recipe to make this a two-for-one deal; a cookie recipe and a bonus ice cream sandwich recipe! Plus, we had our friends Dan and Debbie over earlier this week to celebrate Dan’s birthday, so I wanted to make something special for him that we could all enjoy. Debbie is experimenting with a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, so I am pretty sure her mind was blown that these were OK for her to eat! They were a hit, I don’t think anyone believed me that the filling was just bananas and the cookies were totally grain-free!! I love recipes like that.

You could have some fun with these, adding some mini chocolate chips to the outside of the ice cream, adding cocoa to the banana mixture to make chocolate ice cream, swirling some almond butter in with the bananas, etc. Get creative.

Grain-free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches - Gluten-free + Dairy-free

This cookie recipe was originally shared on the Free People blog BLDG 25.

1 Katie August 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

These look incredible. I love that the filling is literally just bananas. I haven’t made that ice cream yet, but I have been meaning to for sometime. Looks like this is the perfect opportunity. Thanks TY!

2 tastyyummies August 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Thanks so much Katie! OK even if you don’t make these ice cream sandwiches, you HAVE to make the banana ice cream. It is to die for.

3 Katie August 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

YUMMMMY! I love how simple this recipe is. I don’t make a ton of sweets because the recipes can get so complicated, especially when they are grain-free and dairy-free. I will be making these this weekend for sure. Yahoo!!

4 tastyyummies August 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Katie! I am all about easy and simple when it comes to desserts. It is so rare that I make them, so when I do, I need for them to be easy and fuss free ;)

5 Meg Sylvia August 15, 2013 at 11:13 am

Oh, wow… these look amazing! Must try this!

6 tastyyummies August 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Meg! I hope you enjoy these are much as I do, if you make them.

7 Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry August 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Oh la la, these look absolutely divine and I can’t believe they are grain-free…WOW! Sharing this now :)

8 tastyyummies August 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Laura and thanks for sharing ;)

9 Rose - The Clean Dish August 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

Beth, I can’t wait to try these! I’ve been making banana ice cream but I would have never thought of making an ice cream sandwich! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe with us :)

10 Brooke August 25, 2013 at 2:41 am

Hell yes!

11 Michelle August 30, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Oh wow, I just made these and I know my boys are going to LOVE it. Well done :)

12 MOLLIE *THE ALMOND FLOWER* September 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

This recipe looks fantastic- I have frozen bananas ready just for this. I linked to your recipe in my post for vegan cookie dough!
xoxo
Mollie

13 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 14, 2013 at 6:58 am

These look amazing! And I can’t believe how pretty your sandwiches came out. I think ice cream sandwiches are my least favorite thing to shoot. Ever.

I love the super healthy banana ice cream and the ingredients in the cookies are great, too. :)

14 tastyyummies September 14, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much Erin, they were definitely a challenge to shoot, I have never felt more rushed in my life, so that means a lot. Thanks.

15 jjj September 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I made these today for the second time. The first time I followed your recipe, this time I experimented and used almond extract instead of vanilla for the ice cream. Wowweee! Great recipe. Thank you!

16 tastyyummies September 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

Yay I am so glad you enjoy these! I love the addition of almond extract. That’s brilliant! Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading!

17 Hannah March 27, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. These cookies are the bomb! I had no idea that flourless cookies could be good but everything about them is great! Thank you for posting this!

18 Maria May 14, 2014 at 10:44 pm

These look amazing and I love banana ice-cream! :-)
Is there anything you could replace the egg and flax-seeds with; allergic to both of these?